PDA

View Full Version : Transmission oil

supra90turbo
01-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Since I didnt get an owners manual with my BK, as usual... I have yet to buy a car that comes with one... What is the recommended Gear Oil to be used in the transmission? (of course, 5mt)

Perhaps not only recommended by Subaru, but by you guys. What has worked well for you?

Also, out of curiosity: has anyone flushed out their power steering fluid?
I feel that, after 215,000 miles, and a somewhat recent junkyard rack, that it should be rid of all the gross items that are probably trapped in the system.
Input/suggestions on this as well?

thanks guys/gals
kurt

ivwarrior
01-23-2006, 07:49 PM
I believe Subaru says 75w90 GL5 gear oil.

A lot of folks over on NASIOC seem to swear by "Uncle Scotty's cocktail" which consists of:
1 qt Synchromesh
1 qt Redline Lightweight Shockproof
rest 75w90 Castrol HypoyC

The tranny/front diff hold around 3.8 QT.

The big thing many people seem to say is to stay away from synthetics in the 5MT. It doesn't seem to like them.

legacy92ej22t
01-23-2006, 09:41 PM
I'm running Redline 75w-90ns. Works very good. I'm going to be switching to 100% Redline Light Weight Shock Proof on the next change though.

BAC5.2
01-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Redline's Lightweight Shockproof is good stuff.

I am using it in my Forester right now. I'm going to use it in my Legacy too.

I may actually use 3qts of LWSP and 1qt of Motul 75W90. That should help keep it flowing nicely.

In fact, we tried that concoction in my bosses WRX, and it worked REALLY well.

The official shop stance may switch from 100% LWSP to 75%lwsp and 25% Motul 75W90.

supra90turbo
01-25-2006, 12:18 PM
can i use straight synchromesh? only reason i ask is because i work in the parts department at a chevy dealer, and just so happen to have 35qts upstairs... :P

supra90turbo
06-02-2006, 03:20 PM
any info on straight synchromesh?
I changed using valvoline 75w90 and it's a bit notchier than I'd like

Huffer
06-03-2006, 11:23 PM
Hardcore autocrosser Jay Storm over on LERSOC.com uses undiluted Pennzoil Synchromesh.

Durs845
06-05-2006, 10:44 PM
75w90 i believe is whats called for
so you say full syn in a 5 speed is no good,this is the first im hearing of this, the reason why i ask is cause i was planning on switching to full syn in the trans and diff.not a good idea?????

BAC5.2
06-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Some of our extremely high output cars are using 75% LWSP and 25% Motul 75W90.

In the dogboxes, it's the other way around or it's 50/50.

I use LWSP in the Forester without any complaints. Good stuff.

Wiscon_Mark
06-06-2006, 12:40 PM
I've gotta get some of this stuff...I think I might try Phil's "cocktail"

mr_choung
06-07-2006, 10:27 AM
im a believer in the "uncle scotty mix" it works quite well. more consist and smoother shifts. and 3rd and reverse doesn't grind AS OFTEN! :lol:

gil_ong81
06-07-2006, 12:44 PM
this is what i'll be trying next.

1 QT Lightweight Shockproof
3 QT Redline 75W90NS.

BAC5.2
06-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Use Motul's 75W90.

I used Redline's 75W90NS for a while. It felt great at first, then I realized that I hated it.

It took about 3,000 miles before I was getting funny noises and bad shifter feel.

Use Motul's 75W90.

AussieDan
06-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Yeah, a lot of knowledgeable people seem to like the Motul.

Right now I'm running this stuff Lubro Moly Voll-Synthese Gear Oil 75w90 (http://www.lubromoly.com/web/lmhomeus.nsf/pages/products?OpenDocument&Param=2:oilsgearoils). I initially tried in in an effort to quieten down my tranny, it's not much quieter but definitely seems to be shifting nice and smoothly.

supra90turbo
06-16-2006, 03:33 PM
This Motul 75w-90?

http://www.motorspot.com/cat_img/gear30075w90a.jpg

BAC5.2
06-26-2006, 03:20 PM
That is the correct fluid, yes.

AussieDan
06-29-2006, 12:51 PM
Well I've done about 1200 miles on the lubro-moly fluid now, took one of my buddies for a ride and he immediately commented on how much quieter the tranny is.

I guess it's been gradually getting quieter as the moly did its stuff, still shifting nice and smooth.

jmgtp
06-29-2006, 08:01 PM
Reviving an old one here but not without reason...

does anyone from the posts above have updates after some more miles on the different combos of trans oils?

Still like your combo? Funny noises develop? Better/Worse synchronization? Any changes now that we have some warm weather?

My 5mt has 50k on it and I plan on changing the fluid.

It'll lightly 'crunch' (read: very slight grind) 1st gear if you shift into 1st using anything more than a light pressure on the stick and this is at a dead stop (especially when it is cold out!). I absolutely double clutch any downshift to 1st gear moving above 10 mph, even if I over shoot the revs a hair the trans has a much easier time spinning down to synchronize than spinning up.

Otherwise the trans shifts great, smooth and no noises at all -> while I'd like to retain these attributes I would love to get rid of that 1st gear notchiness that seems inherent to the 5mt design.

I think Uncle Scotty's Cocktail is likely the most used combo, I just don't know of any long term effects it may have, as in accelerated sychro cone or bearing wear?

Anyways, updates please!

BAC5.2
07-01-2006, 09:25 AM
Shockproof/Motul has worked for me for the last 12,000 miles.

Same combo has been in a friend of mine's WRX (with a PPG straight cut 1-4 synchro set) for about 2 years and probably close to 30,000. He's due for a change soon, but we'll put the same fluid in. Trans shifts like it did when we first put the tranny in.

jmgtp
07-01-2006, 09:38 AM
I have all of the ingredients for Uncle Scotty's blend with the exception of the Castrol Hypoy C 80w90 which I can't seem to find. Maybe the Motul 75w90 would be a suitable substitute for the Castrol..?

BAC5.2
07-01-2006, 10:48 AM
I'm not sure. I wouldn't use Scotty's mix in my tranny though.

Wiscon_Mark
07-01-2006, 10:54 AM
I'm not sure. I wouldn't use Scotty's mix in my tranny though.

That's a little different, Phil :lol:

You have to show SLi the dogbox vids!

2.5GT
07-01-2006, 04:55 PM
this is offtopic about the fluid.

but does any of you guys tranny jerks when you accelerate slowly up to 10mph?

i have a auto btw.

Wiscon_Mark
07-01-2006, 05:01 PM
start a new thread, y0

You need a tuneup, methinks.

BAC5.2
07-03-2006, 12:25 AM
I wouldn't use Scotty's mix in my Forester either.

This is a discussion about manual transmission fluid.

I will say this, the best way to cure a problematic automatic, is to dump it for a manual.

AussieDan
07-05-2006, 10:26 PM
Scotty's Mix is definitely a divisive issue. Personally I'm not one to 2nd guess the tribologists who come up with the different blends, but that's just my opinion.

For my money, I'm happy with the Lubro Moly right now and know plenty of people who swear by Motul.

jmgtp
07-06-2006, 03:49 PM
I changed the trans oil today.

I originally wanted to go with Uncle Scotty's Cocktail but since I couldn't find the Castrol locally I went with the following mix:

1 Qt Pennzoil Synchromesh
1 Qt Redline Light Weight Shockproof
1.7 Qts Valvoline 80w90 Durablend Semi Synthetic (I've heard that this is the stuff that SOA rebadges as their own fill in the new STI 6 speeds, true??)

I haven't driven the car at all... BUT, I did start it up and let the trans spin around in neutral for a few minutes to get the different oils blended together.

Then I did the ultimate test:

I reved the engine up to 2500 rpm in neutral with the clutch engaged. Then clutched in and went for 1st gear with haste... NO CRUNCH! That's right, this blend has eliminated my 1st gear crunch COMPLETELY. Under normal conditions if I went into first gear at anything other than the lightest pressure on the stick it would crunch (and this was at a 0mph idle!). Now, reving the engine to 2500 rpm with the clutch engaged in neutral means the trans is spinning at same rpm (which is 3-4 times idle speed) and for it not to crunch even when the synchros had to do a lot of extra work to synch from that rpm is really a testament, I feel, to how well this blend works! Next I have to take it for a drive, I didn't want to dirty up the interior in my wrenching around clothes so it'll wait till after I shower.

Despite having not driven the car, I'm already very pleased that the 1st gear crunch is eliminated. I took quite a few pics of the whole process so if their is interest for a 'how to' write up just let me know and I can do it. Not sure if anyone wants/needs one since this is pretty straightforward so I'll wait and see if there is any demand out there before taking the time to write one up.

I completely forgot to do the rear diff dispite having the Redline 75w90 ready to fill! I've already let the car back on the ground and feel far too lazy to get it airborn again to service the diff. It will have to wait for another day.

warrior
09-14-2006, 10:07 AM
this is what i'll be trying next.

1 QT Lightweight Shockproof
3 QT Redline 75W90NS.

That mixture is night and day difference. That's what I have and i can shift into first rolling at 30km/h and ever since, i've never grinded first or reverse :lol:

drano
09-15-2006, 12:27 AM
WARNING nOOb POST!!!

im glad this thread got bumped up, ive never owned a MT before, and i had no clue that i needed different tranny fluid(i guess i need to call it gear oil now :P).

i think i may start another thread...idk. im new to MT's and i have no clue what rear differential is, like i know the term, but i have never had to know the term for my car.

how do i go about changing the gear fluid, and how do i check/change the rear diff.?

im going to be in a 97 legacy wagon BK.....im still trying to get used to the model codes.

Wiscon_Mark
09-15-2006, 12:29 AM
Well, you got the code right (if it's not a 97 outback, that is) so that's a start.

The rear differential is the device that sends power to the rear wheels. You have a driveshaft that goes straight back from your transmission, and then into the rear differential. That drives the axles, which in turn, rotate the wheels. It's very similar to the transmission but without different gear ratios.

drano
09-15-2006, 12:37 AM
nope, its a brighton.

so is there a different reservoir for the rear diff.?

i dont want it to get low if there is and me never check it....im guessing that would be baaaaad.

Huffer
09-15-2006, 09:18 AM
nope, its a brighton.

so is there a different reservoir for the rear diff.?

i dont want it to get low if there is and me never check it....im guessing that would be baaaaad.

Brighton, Legacy - same thing as far as fluids are concerned.

The rear diff has the fluid IN it - there is no "reservoir".
You will need a half-inch socket wrench to slot into the rear diff - lefty loosey, righty tighty. Undo the highest socket on the rear face, put your finger in straight, if you can feel gear oil without dipping down into the diff, you have the right level.

It never hurts to change the rear diff fluid though, but be warned - once the stuff gets on your clothes, it'll stink to high heaven.

www.scoobymods.com (http://www.scoobymods.com) for a complete walkthrough on replacing fluids.

SHOfast
09-15-2006, 10:42 AM
I'll chime in and add that I know of a few people that are running uncle scotty's mix and have had no problems (yet).

Also there are a few wrx threads on NAsiOC about diffs not liking the straight Syncromesh stuff. I would think it is because it is too light all by itself.

I will say Subaru better be building better shifting transmissions these days, the only vehicle I have driven with a worse shifting thransmission was a 1979 international truck with way too many miles on it.

warrior
09-16-2006, 09:33 AM
what about using straight

Redline Shockproof Heavyweight for the rear diff?

on www.toronto-subaru-club.com (http://www.toronto-subaru-club.com), gadgetguy swears by this stuff and he knows his subaru's pretty well.. any comments?

Danbob
11-17-2006, 04:33 PM
Hey guys - I didn't really feel like spending 60 bucks on Tranny fluid for my legacy like I do for my wrx, so I picked up the 2.99 bottles of Castrol 80W90 tranny fluid....I know that 75w90 is recommended but they didn't have any and I was in a hurry. I haven't put it in the car yet, but I was wondering if it's okay to do it...Thanks - Dan

Huffer
11-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Ehhh, I would have tended to stay with a fluid with a range that is wider than specc'd.

JordanIsHere
05-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Sorry to bump this again, but does anyone know where I can buy this stuff online? None of my local shops stock any of it. I've found a few places that stock each separately, but I'd prefer to get it from one place. I need to cure a wicked grind I'm getting into 3rd. Thanks.

A lot of folks over on NASIOC seem to swear by "Uncle Scotty's cocktail" which consists of:
1 qt Synchromesh
1 qt Redline Lightweight Shockproof
rest 75w90 Castrol HypoyC

PS: The synchromesh that is referred to-- is this the Penzoil kind? It's all I can find.

Wiscon_Mark
05-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Yes, that's it.

ivwarrior
05-10-2007, 10:07 PM
I got the syncromesh and the Castrol from Pep Boys and had my local Advance order the Redline.

AJM
05-10-2007, 11:13 PM
Been going on a mix of redline and mobil 1 with no problem for 8 grand now. Still as clean as a whistle too.

I honestly don't belive all the hullabalue about subarues not "liking" sythedics, both motor oil and gear oil.

Who know's maybe some of them don't. :wink:

ivwarrior
05-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Most of what I've heard has been that the Subaru 5 speed manual and Mobil1 synthetic don't get along. Mobil1 seems fine in the 6 speed manual and differentials, just not the 5 speed manual.

AJM
05-10-2007, 11:53 PM
Most of what I've heard has been that the Subaru 5 speed manual and Mobil1 synthetic don't get along. Mobil1 seems fine in the 6 speed manual and differentials, just not the 5 speed manual.

Could be true, and since mine is a mix it might not be making tiself known. I plan on a mix of redline and Royal purple next ( Rp is what is in my rear diff)

Fair enough, i'm not attacking those who use other methods. If it works for you stick with it.

Huffer
05-12-2007, 08:58 AM
I'm using Redline fluids...3 qts + 1qt lightweight.

Didn't really notice a dramatic improvement.

Navig8r
08-07-2008, 10:03 AM
Call me ingonrant... I was going to use the Redline 75-90.. why the Redline Mix?? Can someone explain? AND Does anyone have any long-term experience with them?
Thanks!

Huffer
08-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Don't bother with the mix. Stick with the basics. You can't go wrong.

winston856
08-12-2008, 04:44 AM
Don't bother with the mix. Stick with the basics. You can't go wrong.

+1

Uncle scotty's cocktail was found to start getting sticky and potentially damaging around 10k miles in the trans, don't even bother with that hard to find crap.

Just run straight Redline lightweight shockproof, DS1 motorsports over on nasioc sells it online fyi. You're trans will thank you :smile: