PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to adjust timing?

httrdd
02-17-2010, 06:42 PM
I want to do my water pump on my car, but a little nervous about touching the timing. Just need some advice. I want to start this this weekend!

Okin DaVanh
02-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Be patient and prepared and it's an easy process. A good way to start, is to always have a repair manual and a DIY or 2. When I did my 2.2 I had a Chilton's manual just in case.

httrdd
02-17-2010, 07:39 PM
I have a Haynes manual and I never thought to look in there about that! Thanks for the info. I am pretty mechanically.incline so the tear down should be no problem. About how much does a timing belt run while I am in there?

mike-tracy
02-17-2010, 08:41 PM
From your title I thought you were asking about adjusting timing (spark advance, etc). The DOHC motors are much easier to do with two people. An impact gun or way to arrest the crank pulley is needed as well.

green97gt
02-17-2010, 10:03 PM
yeah, on the DOHC motors you almost need the cam holder tool.

1996Battlewagon
02-17-2010, 11:06 PM
I paid $80 for my Gates Timing Belt. Well worth it considering how important it is. And it's not that hard as long as you follow the timing marks. It can be pretty scary, so just take your time. And, read Warrior's DIY thread on this site; it's very helpful.

httrdd
02-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Alright I will check out the DIY. Thanks guys!

inoneday
02-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Edit: Whoops! didnt notice you have a gt.... nvm ignore my post haha

i have taken the timing belt on and off completely around 4-6 times.... dont ask why but we did nonetheless (trying to avoid the inevitable actually) and i did not like the haynes manual, i much prefered the chilton manual, it has better pictures (i have both). but it is somewhat monotonous and frustrating when the cams come out of adjustment. if you are going to take the accesory pulley that is mounted on the crankshaft you dont need something to hold the shaft still. simply put a breaker bar with the right socket on the bolt and put the bar against the frame and go tap the starter. boom then its broken free

httrdd
02-21-2010, 07:39 PM
I moved my problem to the DIY!