PDA

View Full Version : what fits?

strat81
01-25-2006, 02:35 AM
i'm looking to replace the set of wheels that are currently on my legacy because they are the wrong offset and rub quite a bit on the fender edges.

i know (from reading) most of the subaru stock wheels are 50+ mm offset. but a wider wheel will allow a smaller offset.

can i get away with a 17x7" wheel with 48 mm offset and what tire size would be best? i should also mention the car is lowered.

Huffer
01-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Are you addressing the lowering issue at the same time? Because it would be ideal to do that.

Normally I'd say 17x7 ET48 would be fine, but that wagon looks SLAMMED.

belladonna
01-25-2006, 02:33 PM
it is slammed. :shock: it's been dropped on impreza lowering springs so one of the first things on the list is a set of legacy drop springs so it won't be quite as low. right now, the rear wheels tuck and all rub depending on bumps or corning...

i think he's asking for future reference for when those preza springs are off :?

shazapple
01-25-2006, 03:14 PM
http://www.subydude.com/ Hes a bit $$ though

Huffer
01-25-2006, 03:30 PM
You'll be able to go 17x7 ET 48+ or maybe even ET45+, even with a mild spring lowering (say Eibach Prokit).

If you go larger (or lower) then you're going to have trouble unless you roll fenders - which isn't hard, providing it's done right (during summer, and the underside of the paint inside the fender is scored to help flexion).

You could see if Discounttiredirect.com will do a suspension/package deal for you - they have some nice 17x7 wheels and they are an Eibach distributor.

Subydude might also do the same, though they cater mainly to the newer cars.

strat81
01-25-2006, 09:09 PM
my price range on rims isn't gonna be huge... basically, i'm hoping to sell the wheels that i have now and replace them with new for as little extra as needed. i was looking on ebay and they have some adr's that are listed for wrx's that are the 17x7 with 48 mm offset. i don't plan on going any bigger than 17's.

i do plan on going back to stock leg springs for awhile... eventually a mild drop with new struts. i was considering whiteline springs and probably kyb gr2's. haven't looked into it much yet though.

dropdfocus
01-25-2006, 10:05 PM
Good game plan Spencer. I'm looking to eventually put Eibach springs on Kate's car w/ upgraded sway bars & bushings. Then I'll likely add a strut tower bar up front. I would in the rear, but we use the trunk too much to have a bar in the way w/ the seats down.

Huffer
01-25-2006, 10:29 PM
Then I'll likely add a strut tower bar up front. I would in the rear, but we use the trunk too much to have a bar in the way w/ the seats down.

That's pointless to add a tower brace in the front. Well not totally pointless, but you will almost NEVER feel the difference in rigidity. You can get a nice Whiteline one for the rear that quickly disengages. Much more practical and noticeable in terms of performance.

Wiscon_Mark
01-25-2006, 10:37 PM
That's pointless to add a tower brace in the front. Well not totally pointless, but you will almost NEVER feel the difference in rigidity. You can get a nice Whiteline one for the rear that quickly disengages. Much more practical and noticeable in terms of performance.

I agree 100% with huffer, these cars are unibody frames, no need for a strutbar in the engine bay, unless its serious offroading.

shazapple
01-26-2006, 12:02 AM
Its not that its a unibody, its that the Strut towers are so close to the firewall and have lots of structural support on our vehicles. Only in a wagon a rear one would make any difference.

Wiscon_Mark
01-26-2006, 12:04 AM
haha, wrong terminology.

belladonna
01-26-2006, 02:09 AM
hey guys, stay on topic here....there are plenty of opinions on the strut tower brace discussion and should be saved for another thread.

Reason
01-26-2006, 02:27 AM
hey guys, stay on topic here....there are plenty of opinions on the strut tower brace discussion and should be saved for another thread.

You tell them Jess!

Huffer
01-26-2006, 09:59 AM
I wanna see an STi swap into that bad boy.

I know you PA guys n girls can do eeeet!