PDA

View Full Version : Oil pan gasket?

Black Sunshine
03-13-2010, 12:45 AM
What type of oil pan gaskets do you run? I recently replaced my valve cover gaskets with fel-pro blue gaskets. I've had good luck with these in the past so I was happy to put them on. I've never had great luck with RTV gasket making so I was wondering what types of pan gaskets are best? I can give RTV yet another try but I don't really want to do it that way. What is the OEM? Possible pics?

phi11
03-13-2010, 09:35 AM
OEM:

4) Apply fluid packing to matching surfaces and install oil pan.
Fluid packing: THREEBOND1215 or equivalent

ouch1011
03-15-2010, 02:12 AM
OEM is gray silicone. If you try to use a gasket where silicone is called for, it will leak. It just squashes out the gasket.

Silicone works great, but the surface has to be clean. Like squeeky clean. No gasket material or RTV.

Patrick Olsen
03-17-2010, 04:41 PM
OEM is gray silicone. If you try to use a gasket where silicone is called for, it will leak. It just squashes out the gasket.
Fel-pro makes a cork oil pan gasket for the EJ engines and it works perfectly fine.

decke48
03-17-2010, 10:51 PM
cork gaskets will work but eventually they will leak faster then silicone, and if you have bad pcv valve will lots of crank pressure they can blow out

ouch1011
03-21-2010, 05:17 AM
Fel-pro makes a cork oil pan gasket for the EJ engines and it works perfectly fine.

I stand by my previous statement. If it came with silicone, thats what should go back.