View Full Version : AutoX help requested - PCT, Williamsport PA

suby_speed5
01-27-2006, 11:49 PM
UPDATE:
okay guys...here's the deal...

Date: April 2 (Sunday)
Time: 8:30 - 9:30 a.m. is tech and inspection; 9:30 a.m. starts competition
Fee: $25
Place: Water Tower Square, Williamsport (if you need directions, let me know)

Rain or Shine
Food and Drinks available

Closed Race - meaning you can't come just to watch unless you arrive (in the same vehicle) as a competitor....this does not apply to those who wish to help set up that morning at 7 a.m.

I need lists of

People competiting....

People who want to Help with set up....

While this is my first post, I was referred here by ivwarrior, as I originally made a similar thread on the Tristate forums in NASIOC...

My name is [redacted], currently a student at the Pennsylvania College of Technology in Williamsport PA. I am the "secretary" (i.e. I don't do anything) of the Penn College Motorsports Association, a small club with about 8-10 regulars.

Formalities aside, we are trying to get an Autox together for March 25rd, though we have never hosted something this big. We have a parking lot picked out, and permission was granted as long as we attempt to design the course so that their freshly painted lines arent too mangled.

I am asking, are there people in the area who would be willing/able to help design a course, as well as help set up this event? I am asking this, as we are fairly inexperienced as far as this goes, and I am afraid of what might happen if just us students are the ones setting this up.

Some pictures of the parking lot are posted below, but the lot is about twice as long as the pictures show, he didn't take a complete overall picture. Our idea was to use the pathways as much as possible, saving some of the sharper turns for the edges of the lot, where it is bordered by grass, then a slight embankment. The lot is about a 1/4 mile of 180, the Faxon exit.

My concerns:
Event Organization
Course Setup
locating cones
helmet situation
walkietalkies (I have 2 cobra's, they seem popular)
insurance

Anyone would be welcome to attend the Autocross, it wouldn't be just limited to Penn College students.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f70/s ... G_0138.jpg (http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f70/suby_speed5/IMG_0138.jpg)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f70/s ... G_0137.jpg (http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f70/suby_speed5/IMG_0137.jpg)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f70/s ... G_0136.jpg (http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f70/suby_speed5/IMG_0136.jpg)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f70/s ... G_0135.jpg (http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f70/suby_speed5/IMG_0135.jpg)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f70/s ... G_0134.jpg (http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f70/suby_speed5/IMG_0134.jpg)

strat81
01-28-2006, 01:40 AM
if we help setup, can we also compete?

i'd be willing to help but i'd like to run my cavalier too 8)

Reason
01-28-2006, 03:43 AM
can we also compete?- my cavalier 8)

Oh SNAP!

legacy92ej22t
01-28-2006, 08:33 AM
My schedule is very hectic right now but I'll help if I can and would love to run. Hmmmm....I need new tires badly though.

In terms of the Insurance, would waivers be sufficient? Just have everyone sign away liability. I know this is what we used to do for Skate comps and stuff back in the day.

When designing an Auto-x course it is important that you make sure it's very tight. You shouldn't have cars exceeding 35-40 mph. If you have any straight aways that allow people with faster cars to get up to higher speed it can get scary, fast.

Helmets. They're required, simple as that. If people don't have them or can't borrow one, they don't run. Be up front about it and people will find a helmet if they really want to run. As long as a few people show up with brain buckets they're usually pretty cool with letting others use them for their runs too. Maybe have 1 or 2 helmets that you provide for people to use in case they don't have one.

legacy92ej22t
01-28-2006, 08:40 AM
That's a pretty good looking location.

Cones....hmmm.....that could be a problem. You'll need a LOT of them. You can try asking all the tool rental shops around, they might have some. You could try and get an event sponsorship from PennDot. ;) Really though, the cone situation could become a problem for you because of how many you'll need.

About the course, after looking at your pictures, it looks like a good location but make sure you stay away from those planters and curbs. You don't want anyone bouncing off those.

belladonna
01-28-2006, 09:09 AM
hey shaun, this is jessica. i'm with the penn college motorsports assoc. too... :lol:

guys, you will have to sign a waiver of course and that is being prepared by the college....

there was another suggestion for some sort of paint to be put down along with some cones so everyone knew where the course went...not sure if that would play out though....

suby_speed5
01-28-2006, 09:19 AM
btw, I forgot to mention, my sn on nasioc is mi_cistemz_loudr if anyone felt like seeing who I am.

I was told to have waivers for any participants to sign, but that our club and its members should be insured. I was also told to contact the SCCA to see what they have for insurance, and try to see how much it would be. This would be taking place off campus, however, so we would more than likely not be covered by anything the school has already provided.

The cone situation might be easily resolved, as this is a tech school, and there are many different construciton/building majors, and we might also be able to borrow from the city of Williamsport. As far as helmets go, I will bring that up in the meeting on Tuesday. I purchased a helmet a few months ago off eBay, for dirt cheap. $45 shipped for a decent quality HJC helmet, the only "problem" being that it is a full face motorcycle helmet, but other than a few scratches it looks unused. I bought a full face helmet instead of one with better visibility because of the possibility of a track day up in Watkins Glen (sp?)

I know what I am asking for is alot, but none of us has had any experience in designing a course, nor have we ever hosted something quite this big, and organization is key. Seeing just how much is involved, sure, if someone offered their time to help us out with that, they should be able to run for free. I very highly doubt that would be a problem.

Did I cover everything so far? It's saturday, and I'm leaving in a few minutes, workiing on an RS->WRX swap for a buddy :twisted: so I'll try to stop by this lot to get some better pictures, and to get a beter idea of how clear it is on a Saturday.

Thank you :D

ivwarrior
01-28-2006, 09:21 AM
Yeah, I figured some of you Williamsport area folks would be interested in this, hence the referral. If my schedule permits, I'll likely come up to take some pictures, but that's about it. Not really interested in competing in my Outback with snow tires :)

Helmets are another good idea. The folks on NASIOC were saying insurance and waivers. Face it folks, waivers are pretty much just useless slips of paper a "good" lawyer will chew even the best written ones apart in court. Get insurance for the club/organizers/location. A waiver might keep most people from contacting a lawyer if they do get hurt, but you'll want insurance for the others.

Here's the original NAISOC thread (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=929107)

gil_ong81
01-28-2006, 09:22 AM
get your event registered with your college first. there are all kinds of liabilities and indemities that need to be considered. i'm the special events coordinator for campus safety at my college, so i deal with sudent events like this on a daily basis.

after that, see if you can hook up wiht the local scca and have them get the race sanctioned etc.

suby_speed5
01-28-2006, 11:59 AM
What would all be involved with it being sanctioned? While this would more than likely be alot cheaper than the typical aotucross, it is still our fundraiser as we don't have much in our account, would the SCCA take complete control?

Not that I have anything against the SCCA, props to them. I am planning on getting into some autocrossing some summer, to compete against myself, not others.

belladonna
01-28-2006, 02:44 PM
if it's SCCA sanctioned, it'll play by their rules....there's a lot to think about there....

gil_ong81
01-28-2006, 06:43 PM
and if it's not SCCA sanctioned, your college might very not carry enough insurance with teh necessary caveats to run the event.

suby_speed5
01-28-2006, 11:05 PM
Alright, thanks for all the info. I'll bring this all up on the meeting on Tuesday, literally. Like computer linked to projector. I also took alot more pictures of the lot, from 4 different viewpoints, panoramic if you put them together in a strand. I will resize them and upload tomorrow more than likely.

As far as the SCCA goes, I do completely understand that if they sanction it, it will be by their rules, there should be no problem with that. I am asking, will they take complete control, and consider it just a SCCA event, or would it still be a Penn College Motorsports Association fundraising event?

belladonna
01-29-2006, 10:34 AM
shaun, i'm not sure about that. i'm going to send an email to our regional director today to get some answers. anything else you want to ask him?

suby_speed5
01-29-2006, 11:47 AM
Could you try to find out what they do for their insurance, so we can get an idea of what to do for ourselves? Other than that, I can't think of any specific questions, just some general information ones.

Thank you, I really appreciate you help here :D

belladonna
01-29-2006, 11:48 AM
alright, i'll get an email out soon...hopefully we'll have an answer by tuesday :)

Pwise2326
01-30-2006, 07:35 PM
Alright, well that sounds good thus far, maybe you could get the Law Club to draft a decent waiver.

One other thing you may want to think about is having emergency medical personnel on standby for the event in case of a (god forbid) wreck. Remember, its not just the drivers in the course, you have to be wary of your bystanders, event staff that could be standing at the wrong place alongside the course snapping pictures. See if you can get in contact with a local volunteer ambulance company or Commercial ambulance service. If you meet with them and say you are from the University, hosting this event, blah blah blah, and would like to have an ambulance and full crew on a standby for the event, you may be able to get them to volunteer their services, or (especially if it is a volunteer organization), consider offering a small donation for their services. That would probably be the best money you can spend for the whole event. Having an ambulance and EMT's on hand may also help you with insuring the event and helping to minimize damages incurred by the few individuals that will disregard the waiver and bring you to court. If I lived closer I'd come with my jump bag, but for this kind of situation you'd need much more equipement to handle a potentially much more serious situation if needed.

As far as running the course, playing by the SCCA's rules isnt always a bad thing. They are highly organized down to setting aside a seperate area for participants cars, where spectators can stand, as well as a whole host of rules and regulations for auto-x's. This would alleviate a lot of stress for your club to try and create their own and hope you covered everything. I watched a SCCA rally-x in NH last year, with a couple feet of snow on the ground, and it ran flawlessly, and the organization of the event made sure everyone could focus on having fun and not getting frustrated with the event sponsors and staff.

It may also be good to get some water bottles for everyone or make sure that participants bring their own food/non-alcoholic beverages. You want your participants to stay hydrated and alert, even though its still cold out, everyone's going to be breaking a sweat in the excitement of racing around. This will also help avoid many unnecessary accidents.

Either way I hope everything works out for you and you all have a great time!

belladonna
01-30-2006, 09:43 PM
RYAN! :-D hey, thanks for all that great information. this will all be brought up tomorrow at the meeting. i'm still waiting for a reply from our regional director, so we'll see

suby_speed5
01-30-2006, 09:58 PM
RYAN! :-D hey, thanks for all that great information. this will all be brought up tomorrow at the meeting. i'm still waiting for a reply from our regional director, so we'll see

I will second that :) Thanks for the help/info all of you.

dropdfocus
01-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Sounds like fun. Being a PCT student myself, I'd be glad to help out where possible. If you need a place to host a web page for it, I run a small web hosting company and I could tag it on to my car club's page for no charge.

I'm already taking off on the 11th for the GTG in Corning, so I don't know if I can get the 25th off too. I'll have to check into it and let you guys know.

belladonna
01-31-2006, 07:41 AM
here's the reply from our regional director

Hi Jessica,

To use the SCCA insurance it need to be a SCCA Sanctioned event. Witch is
not a big deal, it just means that there are certain safety regulations that
need to be fallowed. And you can't advertise the event as a spectator event,
participants only. That doesn't mean you can't have spectators, you just
can't advertise for people to come and watch.

With that said, the SCCA does have "spectator event Ins" but it gets crazy
and the site needs to be approved by the national office. The last I looked
normal event Ins. is around 2-3 hundred depending on the # of participants.
Spectator ins. starts at $1500 for the event. Normally for a typical event
there is a minimum fee, it takes about 7 cars at $20 each to break even.
Then there is a fee for every car after that. I think that is around $3 per
entrant.

Do you have the equipment to do events, cones, timing equipment, etc? We
have put events on for the mustang club in Williamsport. The way that worked
was, they got the lot, delt with the entry fees, trophies (if any). We
supplied the insurance, set the course (using our equipment) and ran the
timing equipment.

I hope this helps, let me know if I can do anything for you, or if you have
any other questions.

Chris

dropdfocus
01-31-2006, 07:58 AM
He sounded like a pretty helpful guy. So if they set up the course, I wonder if it's a premaid design they already use for a certain size area...?

suby_speed5
01-31-2006, 08:24 AM
That's great :D I just need to get in touch with the club president to talk this all over with him, though I doubt we could get ahold of the timing equiptment and such. The meeting today is at 3:30, but I have a job interview at 3:15, which was they only time they could offer, and I have been without one since September. I'll talk all this over with him, and the rest of the members, and see what they all have to say about it.

redlegacygt
01-31-2006, 12:47 PM
you can throw my name into the "help hat" as well for this event. I have been on the college radio station for 2 years now and can make all sorts of PSA's and sweepers for this even(if it can be advertised) to let people know about it. My main job is doing video, i could also video tape some of the event and maybe put together a small bit for websites and the clubs meetings. Also the the last thing i just thought about too is that Penn College has its very own channel for on-campus people. I have class with man in charge of that and alot of the students invovled in putting it together, I can talk to them to see what would need to be done to put information on there about this event.
To some it up. count me in and let me know whats needed and ill do my best. :D I've been waiting for a school with such potential to start having more exciting outside events.

suby_speed5
01-31-2006, 01:16 PM
you can throw my name into the "help hat" as well for this event. I have been on the college radio station for 2 years now and can make all sorts of PSA's and sweepers for this even(if it can be advertised) to let people know about it. My main job is doing video, i could also video tape some of the event and maybe put together a small bit for websites and the clubs meetings. Also the the last thing i just thought about too is that Penn College has its very own channel for on-campus people. I have class with man in charge of that and alot of the students invovled in putting it together, I can talk to them to see what would need to be done to put information on there about this event.
To some it up. count me in and let me know whats needed and ill do my best. :D I've been waiting for a school with such potential to start having more exciting outside events.

Sweet :-D I'll have to get together with the clubs president, hopefully tonight to trade some information here.

Huffer
01-31-2006, 01:18 PM
Check out autox.net as well for some ideas.

Cones - expect that you will beat up maybe 1/3 of them.

Directional markers - no need to paint lines - just lay cones down with the tip pointing in the direction of the course. Some cones will stay up (corners) while straightaways can lie down.

Consider starting the course with a slalom, then heading into a wide sweeper, followed by a chicane and include a "fun" Chicago box to bring people back to their brakes :lol:

suby_speed5
01-31-2006, 04:48 PM
hey shaun, this is jessica. i'm with the penn college motorsports assoc. too... :lol:

guys, you will have to sign a waiver of course and that is being prepared by the college....

there was another suggestion for some sort of paint to be put down along with some cones so everyone knew where the course went...not sure if that would play out though....

I COMPLTELY missed this whole post... :?

As far as the "paint" goes, what was used at the AutoX's I was at were lines of chalk, same setup they use at baseball games for in between the bases.

belladonna
01-31-2006, 06:49 PM
hey astin, thanks! :-D unfortunately, if this gets sanctioned by the scca, there may be no spectating at all for people not competing, but it would be nice to get the info out there for people to sign up to race.

Pwise2326
01-31-2006, 08:49 PM
It sounds like sanctioned is the way to go, let them set up the course and timing equipement, that will help you out bigtime!!! If you get enough people to enter the race you'll have plenty of spectators, you can always videotape the autox and post up a nice little edited clip of it. Its cool to see everyone pooling in their specialties to help out, this is what SLi's all about!! Good luck!!

ivwarrior
01-31-2006, 09:37 PM
hey astin, thanks! :-D unfortunately, if this gets sanctioned by the scca, there may be no spectating at all for people not competing, but it would be nice to get the info out there for people to sign up to race.

Why? The letter you posted above just said you couldn't ADVERTISE it as a spectator event. If you only advetise it to competitors and spectators just happen to show up it would be fine.....according to what you posted above, at least. Was there something else that wasn't posted?

belladonna
01-31-2006, 09:52 PM
yeah, you can't advertise it as a spectator event, but you still need to advertise it to get the competitors while making it clear that there will be no spectating for those not entered to compete...the competitors not racing at the moment will be the spectators for the most part...i'm assuming that anyone who helps setup and teardown will also be able to stay and watch even though they don't race.

dropdfocus
01-31-2006, 09:56 PM
I think what they are mainly going for is they don't want 100's of people crowding the cones watching & a car gets out of control and hits someone "spectating". I'm sure if people were a safe distance from everything, there wouldn't be a problem.

belladonna
01-31-2006, 10:10 PM
that's why we're thinking the SCCA is the best route

belladonna
02-07-2006, 07:21 PM
so a couple of guys from the SCCA were nice enough to drop by our meeting today and we're pretty much set for them to sanction it. pretty soon i'll post up the flyer and see if anyone from here would like to come 8)

suby_speed5
02-07-2006, 07:25 PM
so a couple of guys from the SCCA were nice enough to drop by our meeting today and we're pretty much set for them to sanction it. pretty soon i'll post up the flyer and see if anyone from here would like to come 8)

Yeah, let me know and I will post in a few other places as well.

:)

belladonna
02-07-2006, 07:25 PM
no problem shaun :wink:

legacy92ej22t
02-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Sweet! Man, I need new tires badly though. Bald ass RE92's are just not going to cut it! :lol:

I have to go to a wedding later in the evening so I hope this event starts pretty early in the day.

belladonna
02-07-2006, 09:29 PM
it'll be an all day thing starting early matt so get some new tires! :-D

suby_speed5
02-08-2006, 12:02 AM
I happen to like my RE92's, a nice happy medium tire... :oops:

Might be because I have been on touring tires up until this point, and I don't typically drive my car hard (though I have a few suspension mods worth mentioning) but their grip is still above what I am comfortable driving at.

belladonna
02-08-2006, 09:02 AM
i think matt was just saying that since his are bald, they're not helping much...but it's cool to hear that someone likes the 92s since i hear a lot of complaints about them from wrx owners.

legacy92ej22t
02-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Hahaha, I actually kinda like my RE92's too. Only because they have very predictable handling characteristics. I know exactly when they are going to start letting loose and they let loose in a controlled manner instead of snapping loose like some other tires. I can do power on oversteer with them very easily, which is pretty cool.

BUT, RE92's are a horrible tire for high speed handling. I push my RE92's passed their limit all the time, that is one reason they are so chewed up.

They are not a good auto-x tire at all. Just wait and see. Bald they are even worse. :(

I doubt I'll have the money to get new tires in time unfortunately, so I'll be sliding all over the place. :lol:

The really sad thing is I've had a new set of GR2's w/ Tein springs that have been sitting in my basement for over a year now! I still haven't put them in and they would really be sweet for the Auto-X but I doubt I'll have time to install those either. :roll:

dropdfocus
02-08-2006, 08:34 PM
You have yet to learn the ways of air tools just down the street from you my son... :roll: My buddy Nate has a coil spring compressor that he'll let me borrow if needed. So I guess you have no excuse any longer eh?

legacy92ej22t
02-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Maybe we can run an underground PCV line over to my place from your garage, so I have a compressor hookup at my house too!? 8)

You want to know what's really sad? The springs are already installed on the struts! I just have to swap 'em in! :lol:

legacy92ej22t
02-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Oh I forgot, you want to know what's even worse then that? I've had a 3.9 rear LSD diff in my basement for over 2.5 years now and haven't installed it yet! :shock: :lol:

dropdfocus
02-08-2006, 08:54 PM
You make me want to cry sometimes Matt... I've been out in my garage for that last few nights tearing down my 4 cyl Toyota motor & my Ford V8 in the freezing cold because I was bored and needed something to do. *sigh*

You let me know what weekend you want to do the stuff & we'll get it done so you have noooooooo excuses to have parts laying around that need installed into your "pimp" SS ride. :twisted:

NewGenSTi
02-08-2006, 10:57 PM
I will take that LSD off your hands if all its doing is collecting dust. hehe. Anyways My friend goes to penn tech for catepiller mechanic. he has a 1993 impreza that was originally a fwd1.8 and we swapped a 2.2 into it throw on a fmic wrx turbo and all that good stuff and now realize the fwd wont hook up so we are doing an awd swap. but I think me and him will be coming down together for this meet. Also as far as SCCA goes. just got my card in the mail the other day. when I bought my STi new I got a free membership but I never sent it in. so now over a year later I found the form filled it out sent it in and they gave me the free membership even though I dont have the car anymore. haha

strat81
02-08-2006, 11:56 PM
i'm probably gonna end up running on bfg scorchers... :( unless i decide to throw the 18's on the wagon and use the 16's with bridgestone hp50's on the cavalier :lol:

i need new tires too (actually rims + tires)

matt... get those parts installed already! :lol:

dropdfocus
02-09-2006, 07:05 AM
It sounds like this event is turning out to be a good one! I may only be able to stay until 12pm if my buddy (manager at work) decides he's taking off that day to come over to the event. If he takes off, I can only get half the day off. :cry:

i'm probably gonna end up running on bfg scorchers... :( unless i decide to throw the 18's on the wagon and use the 16's with bridgestone hp50's on the cavalier
You owe it to yourself to "pimp" the Subie with the 18's... People would wonder what the hell you are thinking doing that. :D (and we need pictures too!) Especially when you put the aftermarket 16's on the Cavi.

strat81
02-09-2006, 11:59 AM
they are probably gonna rub like crazy...

225 and the wrong offset probably isn't gonna be too good. it should sit on them ok though :lol:

belladonna
02-09-2006, 12:04 PM
you know you have to take pictures if you do that :wink:

dropdfocus
02-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the back up on that one Jess! :twisted:

strat81
02-10-2006, 01:05 AM
if/when i do... i'll make sure to take pics 8)

legacy92ej22t
02-10-2006, 02:53 PM
You make me want to cry sometimes Matt... I've been out in my garage for that last few nights tearing down my 4 cyl Toyota motor & my Ford V8 in the freezing cold because I was bored and needed something to do. *sigh*

You let me know what weekend you want to do the stuff & we'll get it done so you have noooooooo excuses to have parts laying around that need installed into your "pimp" SS ride. :twisted:

Hahhaha, yeah, I have that effect on people sometimes. :)

I do need to replace the top spring perches for the front struts because they are GR2 Legacy struts and Tein GC8 springs. I forgot, the topmounts are group N too! Hahaha

What's worse Jason is I have my other EJ22T down in the basement that still needs tore all the way down and rebuilt plus I have my old tranny that I want to crack open and see how bad the damage is. A lot of fun projects, really.

Spence- Do it! If the offset is too far to the outside though you'll need to worry about your wheel bearings. :?

dropdfocus
02-10-2006, 06:37 PM
I'll likely be in my garage most of this weekend Matt... *hint, hint*

legacy92ej22t
02-10-2006, 08:44 PM
Really? Well now, hmmm. To do the struts I need to get the top perches but I bet Williamsport Auto would have some laying around that I could get. Man, I have the kids tomorrow and I work Sunday though. Hmmm....

strat81
02-10-2006, 09:42 PM
the offset IS wrong on them... prob 35-40ish... but the wagon would just be parked on them while i used the 16's on the cavalier for the autocross

belladonna
02-14-2006, 07:59 AM
alright guys...i'm starting a roll call on this so i know how many of you plan on attending...since this isn't being advertised as a spectator event i would strongly urge you guys to compete. if you don't want to compete, i'm sure we could arrange something and you could head over that morning with me to help set up...

dropdfocus
02-14-2006, 10:53 AM
I can attend to help until 11:30. Then I have to head of to work just down the road.

belladonna
02-17-2006, 09:06 AM
okay...so....

strat81
dropdfocus
belladonna
redlegacygt
legacy92ej22t

anyone else?

dropdfocus
02-17-2006, 09:21 AM
Matt said he's a possibility.

Tleg
02-27-2006, 11:27 PM
I too may come.

dropdfocus
02-28-2006, 03:38 AM
Sweet! The more the marrier!! :twisted:

belladonna
02-28-2006, 08:11 AM
the proposal has been submitted to student activities so we should know today if we can have the autocross.

legacy92ej22t
03-03-2006, 10:15 AM
the proposal has been submitted to student activities so we should know today if we can have the autocross.

So what's the word, is it a go?

belladonna
03-05-2006, 11:39 AM
we know that it's still in the final approval process :P

dropdfocus
03-05-2006, 12:46 PM
Man, talk about cutting it close on the approval... You'd think they would have made a decision before Spring Break.

belladonna
03-05-2006, 03:13 PM
yeah, it would have been nice since we have to have the flyer we want to post and send out approved too :?

suby_speed5
03-12-2006, 10:18 PM
Count me in. :-D

legacy92ej22t
03-12-2006, 11:57 PM
I'm out :cry: but I might still come watch.

belladonna
03-22-2006, 07:47 AM

Date: April 2 (Sunday)
Time: 8:30 - 9:30 a.m. is tech and inspection; 9:30 a.m. starts competition
Fee: $25
Place: Water Tower Square, Williamsport (if you need directions, let me know)

Rain or Shine

Closed Race - meaning you can't come just to watch unless you arrive (in the same vehicle) as a competitor....this does not apply to those who wish to help set up that morning at 7 a.m.

I need lists of

People competiting....

People who want to Help with set up....

legacy92ej22t
03-22-2006, 08:20 AM
Crap, I already took off for the 25th. Oh well, I was only going to spectate at this point anyways. Maybe I'll have my car in working order by the 2nd and will be able to compete....but I doubt it.

How are they going to enforce that nobody can come watch? Are they going to rope off the whole area or something?

dropdfocus
03-22-2006, 08:52 AM
Maybe I'll have my car in working order by the 2nd and will be able to compete....but I doubt it.
Should you really be thinking those thoughts right now Matt??

I'd be glad to help set up Jess. I won't be entering a vehicle to race though. Do we get cool event staff tags?? :-D I'll likely have to be at work by noon that day, so I can stay for a good portion of it taking pictures & some video w/ my digital camera.

belladonna
03-22-2006, 09:07 AM
Matt - there is only one road to get back there. We'll have sections of the parking lot taped off separate from the course for pits, parking while not racing, tech

sounds good Jason...as for the staff identification tags/shirts whatever...i'm not sure. the club hasn't planned for anything like that so i doubt it...you might get a radio though. does that work for you?

Helping:
dropdfocus

Competing:
strat81

dropdfocus
03-22-2006, 11:11 AM
I guess... :( I was hoping we'd get cool AutoX shirts with STAFF on the back. It was a wishfull dream, I know. 8)

belladonna
03-22-2006, 11:37 AM
yeah, sorry...the club didn't get any money budgeted to them for this semester so this is the big fundraiser. we're also selling calenders (which will hopefully be made in time to sell at the autox). so unless the SCCA surprises us, don't expect free handouts :wink:

suby_speed5
03-23-2006, 11:21 PM
yeah, sorry...the club didn't get any money budgeted to them for this semester so this is the big fundraiser. we're also selling calenders (which will hopefully be made in time to sell at the autox). so unless the SCCA surprises us, don't expect free handouts :wink:

You might get a loaner walkie talkie if you are out on the course chasing cones, but that's about it.

dropdfocus
03-23-2006, 11:49 PM
What time should the "helpers" show up at Water Tower Square?
I can bring 1 or 2 hand helds to lend out for the day if you guys could use them (finally got them working AFTER the Corning Meet :roll: ).

I was kinda being half sarcastic about the t-shirts really.
At a very little cost you could have purchased $3.75 shirts from AC Moore and purchased some iron-on transfer paper to throw in a laser jet printer. But most likely everyone will be wearing jackets or sweatshirts because of the cold morning. So it's unlikely anyone would have seen the shirts that were made.
Just a suggestion for the club if you have something before the semester ends or in the fall while it's still warm out to just wear t-shirts.

Shaun, could you edit your first post to show the updated information for the event so it's right up front for anyone looking for it? Trying to locate it on page 3 of the post might cause it to get lost.

suby_speed5
03-24-2006, 12:23 AM
What time should the "helpers" show up at Water Tower Square?
I can bring 1 or 2 hand helds to lend out for the day if you guys could use them (finally got them working AFTER the Corning Meet :roll: ).

I was kinda being half sarcastic about the t-shirts really.
At a very little cost you could have purchased $3.75 shirts from AC Moore and purchased some iron-on transfer paper to throw in a laser jet printer. But most likely everyone will be wearing jackets or sweatshirts because of the cold morning. So it's unlikely anyone would have seen the shirts that were made.
Just a suggestion for the club if you have something before the semester ends or in the fall while it's still warm out to just wear t-shirts.

Shaun, could you edit your first post to show the updated information for the event so it's right up front for anyone looking for it? Trying to locate it on page 3 of the post might cause it to get lost.

I wasn't even aware of the information until I got an email letting me know that this thread was rebumped. Will do.

dropdfocus
03-24-2006, 12:27 AM
Thanks bud!
I was so pyched about going to it this weekend, but maybe this will let you guys get nice sunny weather for the up coming day in April.

belladonna
03-24-2006, 07:25 AM
jason - we could use all the help we can get :wink:

belladonna
03-24-2006, 12:01 PM
come on guys! i know a few of you want to run an autox, r ight?!

:(

as you can tell, i'm very worried about the turnout....

dropdfocus
03-24-2006, 12:15 PM
I haven't even seen any flyers on campus to put the word out about it to the general gearhead driver.

belladonna
03-25-2006, 11:06 AM
that's because the flyers need to get printed :roll: not to be mean, but this is the most last minute event i've ever been involved with :? which is why i'm so worried about turnout...

anyway, i've just been telling people about it...i'm making flyers for a friend to take out to hazleton this weekend...

belladonna
03-27-2006, 09:00 AM
flyers are out! people are coming! you should come too!

BUMP!!! :lol:

suby_speed5
03-27-2006, 09:11 AM
flyers are out! people are coming! you should come too!

BUMP!!! :lol:

I need one of these flyers so I can get some info out.

belladonna
03-27-2006, 12:17 PM
Shaun - no problem. i guess there are a couple flyers and they are in the process of being merged right now for posting on campus and whatnot. we'll have some at the meeting tomorrow afternoon i think.
i made flyers to give to a friend who goes to college in hazleton and i've already hit up a few of the auto parts stores around. but like i said, my flyer and the other one are being merged so if you want a couple of flyers today, call me on my cell at 220-6648

belladonna
03-31-2006, 09:16 AM
LAST CALL!!!!

so far I have Jason down for helping out in the morning and Spence will be competing...anyone else?

suby_speed5
03-31-2006, 11:02 AM
I have that halfshaft to replace, some exhaust work to do, and its way too nice out to be stuck in a fast food restaurant all day.

I called off work. Again. What are they going to do, fire me when I just put in my two weeks? :D

belladonna
03-31-2006, 11:55 AM
ah ha! that's funny shaun :lol: good luck with the work !

dropdfocus
04-01-2006, 12:34 AM
Rain or Shine

See ya in the morning Jess! :twisted: :-D

suby_speed5
04-01-2006, 07:54 AM
Temporary halfshaft is in, and my exhaust is no longer leaking (though I lost my burble)...

I'm ready. :-)

legacy92ej22t
04-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Hahahaha, we had someone put flyers on cars at my work and they put flyers on all the ricer hondas and eclipses ect.. The fastest car there was mine and it was pretty much the only car not to get a flyer! :lol: I thought it was funny. Sleeeeeeeeper.

I getz no respect.

belladonna
04-01-2006, 03:14 PM
yeah, they put a flyer on everything that had an aftermarket muffler basically...don't feel put out though matt, they don't understand subaru

suby_speed5
04-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I looked at the performance mods done to the cars, the tires, the interior. If it gave me the impression that the driver cared about performance and not just "pimpin" then he/she got a flyer. Eurotails and universal mufflers need not apply, the last thing we need is a rubber burning rice fest.

belladonna
04-01-2006, 06:47 PM
eh, i'm more than willing to take their money then kick them out for being retards :lol: :roll:

i still don't want a bunch of rice there though :? i was pretty selective as to what cars i put flyers on too...

suby_speed5
04-02-2006, 09:59 PM
eh, i'm more than willing to take their money then kick them out for being retards :lol: :roll:

i still don't want a bunch of rice there though :? i was pretty selective as to what cars i put flyers on too...

Any pics yet? My videos are pretty crappy, I'll probably edit in some oontz to take care of the lack of decent sound.

legacy92ej22t
04-03-2006, 08:44 AM
How did the event go?

It looked like turn out must have been pretty good because I was out running errands with my kids and I saw cars with the scca running tags all over the place. Must have been during the lunch break.

I saw a race prepped bug that looked pretty damn sweet.

suby_speed5
04-03-2006, 11:31 AM
How did the event go?

It looked like turn out must have been pretty good because I was out running errands with my kids and I saw cars with the scca running tags all over the place. Must have been during the lunch break.

I saw a race prepped bug that looked pretty damn sweet.

It went very well, no problems and alot of participants. I was worried about having a bunch of college students causing trouble, but there weren't really many college students at all, about half were SCCA regulars.

belladonna
04-03-2006, 12:07 PM
the event turned out awesome and we're already talking about having another in october! we had 53 competitors total...i have tons of pix to sort through so it might be until tomorrow that i get some up...here are a couple now...chris (our club president) has some that i took with his camera that are much better than these. i had a sun-gazette loaner with limited zoom capability and chris' could zoom in about 12x the distance of mine so i'm looking forward to getting those onto my computer soon...

Spence in his 2002 Cavalier
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/InvernessShadow/spencer-cavi.jpg

Dave in his 2005 STi
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/InvernessShadow/dave-sti.jpg

dropdfocus
04-03-2006, 01:27 PM
I'll have video & pix to post up by tomorrow.

suby_speed5
04-03-2006, 02:41 PM
Rumor has it, the owner of the lot drove in today, saw his lot and flipped. I guess chalk lines that will be washed away by tonight and some burnt rubber are unacceptable. Supposedly we're not allowed to have one there again, but all this info is from a tool guy at the college. :shrug:

belladonna
04-03-2006, 03:54 PM
the owner called chris (club president) this morning and was upset about the tire marks. chris reassured him that they would fade with some rain and if he wanted, we would go clean his lot. nothing was ever said about not being allowed to have it there again. :wink: we may have to rattle can some lines back on, but other than that the rumor was only partially correct :wink:

strat81
04-03-2006, 05:21 PM
the owner called chris (club president) this morning and was upset about the tire marks. chris reassured him that they would fade with some rain and if he wanted, we would go clean his lot. nothing was ever said about not being allowed to have it there again. :wink: we may have to rattle can some lines back on, but other than that the rumor was only partially correct :wink:

what the hell did the owner expect? fast driving with no tire marks at all? :roll:

it was a fun time. i just need some better tires and my own helmet for next time :twisted:

suby_speed5
04-03-2006, 07:47 PM

The guy who "informed" me on the lot is generally full of shit, so I'm not completely surprised.

suby_speed5
04-04-2006, 12:37 AM
Results are up. http://www.nepa-scca.com/solo2results20 ... 040206.htm (http://www.nepa-scca.com/solo2results2006/solo2results_040206.htm)

Some numbers will be added, but for the most part they are posted. They have some pictures, and I think you can see the very tip of my hood in one of them. :wink: