PDA

View Full Version : will an sti exhaust fit my 2.5 gt?

duckncover182
01-28-2006, 12:28 AM
i have a friend who poured money into his sti to boost the hp up to 400+ and some of his stock parts are available to my friends and i. they have imprezas but i went for the 97 2.5gt. will any of the sti parts fit my car? also, what are some cheap ways to boost my hp? (im still broke from buying the car)

Reason
01-28-2006, 04:02 AM
The muffler "MIGHT" fit, I'm not sure. You should go by his house and fit parts and let us know.

scottzg
01-28-2006, 04:33 PM
the midpipe is too short and the muffler hangers are in the wrong place. Otherwise, yes it will fit. Needs to be modified.

Wiscon_Mark
01-28-2006, 06:05 PM
how big is the diameter of the exhaust? It might be a bit much for an N/A Legacy.

However, having a shop put hangers and weld the midpipe a little wouldn't be too expensive, I'd say go for it, provided the STi exhaust doesn't exceed 2.5" in diameter.

Huffer
01-29-2006, 11:41 PM
2004 STi exhaust is same as 2005 WRX exhaust, but without the STI embossing.

It'll fit, the 3rd hanger needs to be bent and the stock midpipe needs to have an extension added or flanged in (in case you ever want to go back to stock).

I was going to go the same way, but decided to pass as my car isn't a good basis for modding.

Mark - internal diameter of the aforementioned exhausts is barely 2.5", and that's being optimistic.

Wiscon_Mark
01-30-2006, 06:56 PM
Mark - internal diameter of the aforementioned exhausts is barely 2.5", and that's being optimistic.

cool, maybe I should look for a wrecked REX :)

Are the WRX/STi exhaust systems stainless? how do they sound on N/A? I'm sure they'd be loud.

Pwise2326
01-30-2006, 07:41 PM
Mark - for N/A's you want to stay close to 2.25" anyways, 2.5 inches is a bit much and you might notice a drop in torque from lack of backpressure. Huge pipes are nice if you have a huge turbo giving a bit of boost.

Let us know how they fit, at least its your friend so you'll have the opportunity to fit-test it at his house. Good luck!

Wiscon_Mark
01-30-2006, 08:04 PM
Mark - for N/A's you want to stay close to 2.25" anyways, 2.5 inches is a bit much and you might notice a drop in torque from lack of backpressure. Huge pipes are nice if you have a huge turbo giving a bit of boost.

Let us know how they fit, at least its your friend so you'll have the opportunity to fit-test it at his house. Good luck!

of course, I know this, but Huffer said 2.5" at the most...

Huffer
01-30-2006, 11:15 PM
It's an axleback - so "backpressure" isn't all that big of a deal anyway - but a huge inlet is a bit silly.

It's not loud at all - a little rumble, nothing louder than a WRX.

DO IT! :twisted:

dropdfocus
01-30-2006, 11:21 PM
Hmmm... This may provide to be cheaper than the Borla muffler idea I had in mind thanks to Belladonna. Guess I have some eBay hunting to do. :twisted:

duckncover182
01-31-2006, 01:25 AM
i at least want to put the muffler on there. my friends have 2.5 rs's and the burly sound of the exhaust is sick. so i will either put their old muffler on or fab up the sti parts. will let u know how it goes this weekend.

redlegacygt
01-31-2006, 01:04 PM
it can be done and i heard one with it done. Has the borla rumble, but just not as loud. There was someone on nasioc i belive that did it and had pictures and sound clips because i actually thought about doing it. Ill see if i can dig it up again but it was a few months ago