PDA

View Full Version : Finally changing the HG's

LSiTo5Revo
03-20-2010, 09:43 PM
This is the biggest deal to me because I have NEVER disassembled a motor this big and complicated. I know a few things but not enough to build up the confidence to think I can do this successfully. It's the notorious ej25. :smt009

The biggest thing i'm curious about is the the cams. How are the cams mounted in?
What exactly needs to be done to pull this off? If ANYONE can help me ...I'd bow to you for it!

dann
03-21-2010, 10:45 PM
well ideally an engine lift is a good start, but it is possible to unbolt the cylinder head from the block while it is still in the engine bay. its a royal pain though. for your 2.5 it looks like the intake the exhaust must come off, the power steering pump, ac comp, timing belt, and the cam gears and cam shafts in order to extract the cylinder head. the reason why the cam gears and cam shafts is because the cylinder head bolts (6) are behind the shafts,they are unaccessible unless the cam shafts are removed. i'm just looking at the factory service manual and kinda eludes to this. some one please chime in and correct me if i'm wrong. i only have experience with the 2.2 and the 3.3, never had the pleasure of messing up a 2.5. :grin: ha... not too hard to unbolt everything, but the fun starts when you go to put everything back together. :smt021

good luck man.

LSiTo5Revo
03-21-2010, 11:27 PM
BALLS man....balls. Oooh i soo love the part where you mention the pleasure of messing up a 2.5. Its encouraging. :roll:

dann
03-22-2010, 08:26 AM
yeah sorry man, when i said that messing up a 2.5 i meant doing work on one... i just finished taking one of my heads off on Saturday(my 2.2 blew a cam bearing and seized up), with the engine still in the car. not too bad all things considered.

but seriously man no worries, only part to pay particular attention to is the timing belt when you go to reinstall it.

LSiTo5Revo
03-22-2010, 04:14 PM
lmao. it's cool dude. im sure it wont be that bad. the timing is def the biggest thing im worried about. once i read the post on that and read that theres a chance that i could bend my valves, that was when i got a wee bit edgy on wanting to do it. screw it ya dont learn unless ya do this stuff. i'll be posting my results.

jamal
03-22-2010, 10:11 PM
I have a lot of pictures of motor disassembly/assembly in my build thread as well as a video of timing belt installation:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13158 (https://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13158)

ouch1011
03-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Just as a note, you don't have to completely remove the intake manifold, you can unbolt it from the heads and drop the heads out from underneath the IM. I say that because there are a lot of vacuum lines, coolant hoses and a wiring harness that have to be removed to remove the IM, and it kind of sucks to do.

I've done a few 2.5 head gasket jobs, the hardest part IMO is the timing belt. If you've replaced a timing belt before, then there is nothing really special about this one other than the fact that the left bank cams are loaded when the marks are lined up and will try to snap to a different position (and of course that it is an interference engine). The worst part of the job is cleaning the sealing surfaces. It has to be spotless.

On the plus side, there is plenty of room to work, the parts are relatively light weight (compared to, say, a cast iron I6 head).

LSiTo5Revo
03-22-2010, 11:31 PM
well...im lost for words here. ehhhh i feel screwed, yeah that's kind of an under statement. Funny part was..before I put the motor in I looked at my friend and said "ya think we should change the head gaskets"? ...."nahh screw it they'll be good". well if I come across something i'm def gonna be asking about it.

dann
03-23-2010, 12:01 AM
I have a lot of pictures of motor disassembly/assembly in my build thread as well as a video of timing belt installation:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13158 (https://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13158)

wow! thats a ton of sweet pics bro. :shock: awesome shots.

dann
03-23-2010, 12:09 AM
Just as a note, you don't have to completely remove the intake manifold, you can unbolt it from the heads and drop the heads out from underneath the IM. I say that because there are a lot of vacuum lines, coolant hoses and a wiring harness that have to be removed to remove the IM, and it kind of sucks to do.

yeah its alot of work, kinda figured that you can do this as long as you drop the exhaust manifold, but i have never tried this.