PDA

View Full Version : Engine cuts out and hesitates? Need help!

robbied
03-25-2010, 03:15 AM
I hope you guys can help me with this.

My 98 Legacy (EJ20TT) has a problem we haven't been able to find the solution to.
First of all: The car has just had its major service (plugs and leads, timing belt etc.)

The car starts perfectly. I can drive it maybe 500 metres (when cold) and then the engine will completely cut out and 'check engine' light comes on (causing me to pull over and turn the ignition off).

When I try start the car again it will struggle a bit to start but will idle properly. The "check engine" light is showing most of the time during idle.
I then try and accelerate and as soon as I do the engine cuts out.

To get the car home I had to keep trying to start it and accelerate a bit, it took maybe 5 or 6 re-starts to get it 500m.

Me and my mechanic can't figure it out. We think it might be some obscure vacuum hose?

Any idea's guys? its driving me crazy!

anothernord
03-25-2010, 04:14 AM
This sounds like an electrical problem relating to fuel or ignition. Is the fuel pump priming on startup? I would try and see if you're getting the proper fuel pressure.

Check the coil packs and their connectors to see if anything is getting grounded out too.

rfrbwags
04-04-2010, 06:47 AM
google "subaru fault codes" and search until it tells you how to run a search(plugs under steering column,use black not green,easier)that should tell you whats wrong?
also sounds as though it 'could' be your air flow meter?

decke48
04-04-2010, 08:15 AM
ive had a couple subarus had a similar problem, it turned up to be a 40amp fuse blew but still was able to arc power. and when you accelerated it would cut out randomly. and when you started it after a few trys it would wiggle the filament in the fuse back over to arc.

kevinjones
10-20-2010, 12:58 AM
As per my review first of all you can check your compression on all cylinders and complete a leak down test. Bad coil they breakdown when the engine get hot. There is 3 coils total when it starts missing start pulling plu wires until you find the one that is not firing .