PDA

View Full Version : Typical resistance on tps when engine off?

Yan
04-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Hey guys! Just like the title says...on an outback 98...thanks!

green97gt
04-09-2010, 11:46 PM
the proper check for a TPS is to have the key on, engine off and check the voltage of the signal wire. should read .6/.7V at idle and right about 5V WOT

Yan
04-10-2010, 08:41 AM
ok...but that's voltage...I'm talking about resistance (ohms)...thanks!

green97gt
04-10-2010, 10:50 AM
voltage is the correct test. why mess around and do incorrect testing. thats like testing battery cables with resistance instead of voltage drops.

just kinda silly. why would you not want to do the correct test that give you all the info....instead of fumbling around trying to check resistance of it not hooked up...cause if you check voltage, it also confirms power from the ECU and good ground and also can do a voltage sweep and can locate dead spots...i mean...why would you NOt want to test anything while the circuit if functioning..
.....just sayin...

but it also depends on what pin your hitting.

just cause i have one laying around...

the TPS has three connections

between the two on the ends..

i got: 5.05 ohms at idle thru wot. unchanged.

between the two top pins as it sits in the car

i got: 5.11 Kohms at idle and 69.11ohms

between the two bottom pins at it sits in the car i got 69 ohms at idle and 5.11 Kohms at WOT

obviiously a TPS is pwer/ground/signal so thats why one is almost a mirrir omage of the other..

but this info is pretty useless. you really need to check it with voltage applied, any tech thats been around a while will tell you that voltage is always a better check than resistance in most situations.

Yan
04-10-2010, 01:10 PM
ok thanks my friend!

1-3-2-4
10-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Are you testing at the ecu?