PDA

View Full Version : how about a little american ingenuity

strat81
01-31-2006, 11:40 PM
well... i had some spare parts lying around so i decided to make a rear strut tower brace. i modified the end plates from a toyota matrix strut tower brace (i picked up awhile back for a project for my cav that i didn't do) and the bar is from my cavalier (i switched it out for a ractive bar which gives a bit more clearance in the trunk)

end reults...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/strat81/3da68af7.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/strat81/7cab05fc.jpg

i haven't had the chance to really drive the car yet with this installed (i still need to tighten it up fully but i need to get my socket set back from a friend)

review to follow.

Huffer
02-01-2006, 10:24 AM
Nice! These things help TREMENDOUSLY in wagons... :D

EXP1787
02-01-2006, 11:39 AM
I want a rear brace. If this works out well, we need a DIY.

Wiscon_Mark
02-01-2006, 11:50 AM
+1 for what EXP said.

strat81
02-01-2006, 08:48 PM
it's not hard to do... i will say though that the matrix brace is around 15-20 on ebay but the freedom design bar that i used was alot more expensive.

the bar from the matrix is too long. i only used the endplates.

basically though, you'll have two mounting points on each side, you have to cut a section of the endplate off and drill new holes, then cut the carpet piece to clear the end plate, fit, tighten, and install the bar. i'll try to get a pic or two of the endplates with the covers off.

words of wisdom... measure a billion times, drill once (i hacked the one side up a bit because i didn't take my time with it)

as for working, i STILL haven't gotten my tools back... but i can notice a difference even without it fully tightened up. when i turn hard, i was experiencing rubbing with as low as the car sits and the wrong offset rims but the rubbing has subsided ALOT!

belladonna
02-01-2006, 08:49 PM
i guess he's going to throw it through a couple corners on the way out to my house :lol:

Plays_with_Toys
02-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Nice but too intrusive for me, unless it had a quick release. I like the cargo capacity of my car, otherwise I would've bought a leg-sedan.

Wiscon_Mark
02-01-2006, 09:07 PM
Nice but too intrusive for me, unless it had a quick release. I like the cargo capacity of my car, otherwise I would've bought a leg-sedan.

ditto

belladonna
02-01-2006, 09:33 PM
you could just remove the bar with two bolts... :?

anyway...spencer is here and would like to report....

"the rear bar makes a NOTICEABLE difference. i just took a 90 degree sweeper at 65 without breaking a sweat. the car only rubs now when pushing it through the corners which is a big difference from the rubbing-everytime-i-turn-the-wheel that it was doing before. i'd recommend a rear stb to anybody with a wagon. for as big and clumsy as this car should be, it's surprisingly agile"

Wiscon_Mark
02-01-2006, 09:36 PM
damn, now I have to get rear sway and strut :twisted:

Reason
02-02-2006, 03:22 AM

http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/cata ... prevnext=1 (http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=3358577&showprevnext=1)

Any questions?

Huffer
02-02-2006, 10:45 AM
anyway...spencer is here and would like to report....

"the rear bar makes a NOTICEABLE difference. i just took a 90 degree sweeper at 65 without breaking a sweat. the car only rubs now when pushing it through the corners which is a big difference from the rubbing-everytime-i-turn-the-wheel that it was doing before. i'd recommend a rear stb to anybody with a wagon. for as big and clumsy as this car should be, it's surprisingly agile"

This is what I keep telling people :lol:

I had an Impreza wagon in NZ before I shifted to the Legacy - I didn't have a rear swaybar, just springs and a rear strutbrace, and I was able to hang with more powerful vehicles in the hills. :lol:

EXP1787
02-02-2006, 02:39 PM
http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=3358577&showprevnext=1

Any questions?
No question... But that is awesome. If only I had more moneys, I would be building two autocross cars instead of one ;)

Wiscon_Mark
02-02-2006, 04:09 PM
http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=3358577&showprevnext=1

now I am obligated to get a RSB!!!

:lol:

chahny
02-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Installed an eBay strut tower brace (STB) spec'd for a 02+ WRX in the back of the BG without any trouble. I found an extra set of plastic interior covers and cut them to fit over the installed brace. A pair of vice grips and an Allen wrench are all that is needed to repatriate cargo volume in the wagon. I keep the tools in the car in case of emergencies, such as trips to Best Buy or impromptu parts purchases. :wink:

This type of setup should go for approximately $30 on eBay. Sorry, I don't have any pictures right now, but maybe after next weekend.

If someone has a 93-01 Impreza rear STB handy, maybe they would be kind enough to test for fitment issues. This model STB is usually cheaper on eBay, maybe $20 total.

Finally, I agree with the sentiments here. The rear STB provides a noticeable difference to the handling, in a good way.

Huffer
02-21-2006, 11:56 PM
Installed an eBay strut tower brace (STB) spec'd for a 02+ WRX in the back of the BG without any trouble.

Sedan or wagon?

If someone has a 93-01 Impreza rear STB handy, maybe they would be kind enough to test for fitment issues. This model STB is usually cheaper on eBay, maybe $20 total.

Doesn't fit. BGs are wider than GF Impreza's. (wagon to wagon. No idea about wagon-sedan)

chahny
02-22-2006, 12:23 AM
Installed an eBay strut tower brace (STB) spec'd for a 02+ WRX in the back of the BG without any trouble.

Sedan or wagon?

Sedan :oops:

Doesn't fit. BGs are wider than GF Impreza's. (wagon to wagon. No idea about wagon-sedan)
Good to know, we're already 50% there.

losdiosdeverde86
03-14-2006, 10:29 AM
NICE!

Lemanschamp
05-07-2006, 11:13 PM
well now i know what im doing when i get back from Limerock Park on Memorial day weekend!

that is, assuming i've finished the 2,937,383 things i have planned between now and then.

mranlet
05-13-2006, 08:47 PM
Although I lack pics at the moment, I adapted a Cusco "Lower Strut Brace" for BH (the kind that bolts along the floor of the trunk) to my BG Wagon. All I had to do was turn the mounts around and drill 2 new holes on each side. The difference is AMAZING, especially when drifting the wagon. Before, the frame would sort of "load up" with torsional stress like a huge spring, and when I was in mid-slide it would spring back and make me spin. STB fixed most of that.

I'll get some pics soon.

I'm also trying to adapt some Nissan 240SX bars so I can have preload adjustments ;)