PDA

View Full Version : high flow cat?

steve0skate0
02-02-2006, 04:51 PM
anyone know where i can find a cheap high flow cat? and whats a good sounding muffler?

Wiscon_Mark
02-02-2006, 04:56 PM
well, stromung makes a bolt-on high flow cat for 350 bucks, but you could go cheaper and get a universal cat and have an exhaust shop do the piping for you.

There are a lot of good sounding mufflers. Flowmaster, Magnaflow, Borla, Stromung, SPT (bosal)...it all depends on the gains you expect to get and money you want to spend.

Huffer
02-02-2006, 05:10 PM
and whats a good sounding muffler?

Good is such a relative term.

Any ideas as to how publically obtrusive you want to be? That might help us advise you more.

Wiscon_Mark
02-02-2006, 05:14 PM
Good is such a relative term.

Good Point Huffer.

Or should I say, Fair Point / Decent Point / Great Point / Excellent Point Huffer :lol:

Yeah, do you want a deep tone, weedwhacker exhaust, what do you dig?

steve0skate0
02-02-2006, 07:24 PM
well, is there something with good gains that has a deep tone? not deep like, civic-sound-horrible deep, but there is one wrx around here that has an amazing sound, it almost sounds like an 8 cylinder

Wiscon_Mark
02-02-2006, 07:37 PM
stromung/borla/SPT aka Bosal

they all make vehicle specific axle back, but if you want to do a custom piping job, it would be cheaper to get a universal muffler.

belladonna
02-02-2006, 08:24 PM
well, is there something with good gains that has a deep tone? not deep like, civic-sound-horrible deep, but there is one wrx around here that has an amazing sound, it almost sounds like an 8 cylinder

a lot of subarus with the right exhaust will have that "cammed" sound to them. that's the beauty of a boxer engine...

everyone's opinion is going to differ on this too...i would suggest going to the "sound clips" thread, listen to different exhausts and then make your decision...

95legacy
02-02-2006, 10:45 PM
If you want to spend the money get the Fujitsubo Legalis R, mine sounds so awesome even with just the axle back on right now I cant wait to finish out from headers back. But it is expensive but you get what you pay for, somewhat.
Peace,
Kyle

Huffer
02-02-2006, 11:35 PM
If you want deep tone like an aftermarket WRX, then you will need to remove one cat, go hi-flow to keep the rear o2 happy, then go to a 2-2.25" midpipe to axle back ending in at least a 3.5" tip.

Ideally you would also install some kind of resonator in the mid-pipe to prevent in-cabin drone (if you experience any). This might sacrifice some volume from the exhaust.

I wouldn't go bigger than 2.25" diameter mainly because of a potential loss in low end torque. You might gain a couple of ponies in the high end, but that's kind of pointless unless your car is setup for high rpm racing.

Reason
02-03-2006, 04:05 AM
I have the SPT axle back and waiting for my Stromung mid pipe to come in. I'll post up a sound clip when I get the pipe in. Hopefully it will be here for the weekend. I think to have a "good" sounding exhaust you should replace header back. Straight 4 with a catback sounds like crap. I have a 89 CRX and I have 4-2-1 header, "high flow cat" (resonator) 2 1/2" mid pipe (I think) with OEM muffler "stealth look" sounds like crap lol