PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy 97L

Manarius
02-03-2006, 06:48 AM
I'm looking to buy a 97 L Sedan with 115k

Car is loaded (even with CD changer)...no leather or sunroof. Body is clean (no rust that I could see). Interior looks good.

Guy wants 4900..hoping to talk him down.

Any problems with it I should be aware of? I have BC of my own...so I know what I'm talking about...so please don't treat me like a noob just 'cause of my post count (Wiscon_Mark knows me from over at the BBS). I also made sure..this one has the 2.2...not the headgasket eating 2.5.

Did Subaru fix the 4EAT post 94? Wheel bearing issues? I'd like to know :)

belladonna
02-03-2006, 09:05 AM
yeah, he's asking a bit for it... :? i have nothing else to add. not sure about the tranny or wheel bearings since i have a bc too

*edit* i kelly blue booked that suby and they're saying if it's in good condition it's worth about $3600 through private sale and about $4000 if it's in excellent

shazapple
02-03-2006, 09:09 AM
I have a 98 Legacy L with 120k miles on it. No problems with wheel bearings or auto transmission. Motor runs great, although has a bit of a hydraulic lifter tick on cold startup.

Only mechanical problem Ive had was a seized caliper. Canadian winters will do that to a car though :( I do have a rust problem on the top drivers side of the windshield. Peel back the weatherstripping a bit to check. Also theres some on the rear quarterpanel and some starting behind the Legacy badge on the trunk.

4900 isnt too bad of a price, but a little lower wouldnt hurt.

Huffer
02-03-2006, 11:51 AM
If there's no rust, I would go as high as $4500.

The 4EAT - if you're referring to the transfer clutch pack solenoid, I believe the problem was solved in the 95+ trannies, though I still had problems which were cured by using Lubegard. My 98 tranny is at 180k though.

Manarius
02-03-2006, 10:31 PM
I'm more referring to the clogged pathways, clutchpack problems, and center diff issues that are sometimes common on our cars (You know...torquebind?)

Wiscon_Mark
02-03-2006, 11:17 PM
Hey Manarius, welcome to SLi.

4900 doesn't sound all that bad. I believe KBB places my outback at about 4000 private sale, but that's in wisconsin, subarus are rare and valued here...not so much in Pennsylvania ;)

I've heard of wheel bearing problems in BDs...not sure of the specifics on it, I haven't had any problems, but I'm using SS wheels ;)

I'd say, talk him down, make 4400 your point, if you can't talk him that low, leave the deal, if you can talk him lower, go for it...44-4500 sounds pretty good for that car. Do you know if anyone else is interested in the sale? You could let him sit in the "oven" a little bit, and then talk him lower.

Reason
02-04-2006, 04:03 AM
If you really want it, go see the car again for one final walk through. Have 4k in one pocket and about 2-3 hundred in another. Tell him you will give him 4k cash for it and pull it out. If he hesitates point out things wrong with it. If he stands by his price or just cant go that low whip out the other 2-3 hundred and say this is as much as I can give for it. If he says know worst case you will be looking for another one.

I also would suggest to have an adult who can wheel and deal if you are a teenager. If some kid try throwing cash at me for my car (which has happened to me with my CRX) I just laugh at them and tell them to get a job. GOOD LUCK!

Manarius
02-04-2006, 08:52 AM
I was thinking right around the 4k-4.5 mark for the car. The problem is now, convincing the person with the money not to get a Protege.

Wiscon_Mark
02-04-2006, 09:54 AM
..convincing the person with the money not to get a Protege.

don't do that, at least not until you have your car. You don't need to get in any disagreements.

Besides, what's wrong with a Protege? They're nice, sporty little cars :)

Huffer
02-04-2006, 11:53 AM
I'm more referring to the clogged pathways, clutchpack problems, and center diff issues that are sometimes common on our cars (You know...torquebind?)

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I had it, got rid of it by draining the tranny fluid twice and adding Lubegard ATF protectant on the 2nd refill. Now my shifting and turning is like butter, except for 1 to 2, but I expect some roughness on a tranny that did 175k before I experienced torque bind.

Manarius
02-04-2006, 06:22 PM

don't do that, at least not until you have your car. You don't need to get in any disagreements.

I'm trying to convince a person who has money to get the Legacy over the Protege. Why?

Protege: 1997, no abs, 105k $4800

Legacy: 1997, power everything, AWD, 4800, 115k.

Tell me which one you want....

Reason
02-04-2006, 06:28 PM

I'm trying to convince a person who has money to get the Legacy over the Protege. Why?

That all depends on your plans for the car. I would rather have one over the other (not in this case) for what I need it for. Daily driver I would grab the Protege because I would think it be better on gas vs the AWD.

Pwise2326
02-04-2006, 06:38 PM
However if you ever get snow or general crappy weather in your area, AWD is worth the extra couple bucks here and there. Mazda's are nice cars, my mom had an '85 626 hatch that lasted until almost 2000 before my dad made her get rid of it. Then again she refused to drive in really bad weather (and granted CT winters aren't as harsh as other places). Personally I'd go with the Legacy just because you are getting a lot more for your money, and the ABS and AWD are very nice options to have in bad weather. Besides, you will be saving money on gas by having the 2.2L.

Wiscon_Mark
02-04-2006, 07:00 PM

I thought you meant the guy you're buying from. Nevermind.

although the protege would be better on gas by a lot.

Huffer
02-04-2006, 08:49 PM
FWIW, my insurance company gives me a discount on having ABS.

scottzg
02-07-2006, 05:35 PM
whats wrong with the car you have?

Buying a 100k old AT is always a mistake in my book.

Manarius
02-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Well, I test drove the car. It drives quite nicely for having 115k on the odo. Car is cosmetically damaged; passenger door has nasty scratch and random hole in the door (looks like it was punched in with a nail gun or something). The guy won't go lower than about 3800 out the door. Going to try to talk him down to 3500. It is a nice car inside, ash tray doesn't work quite right, but it does have cup holders...just like mine!

I like the way it drives though, it's a little sluggish in the low end compared to my car. I think it's going to be bought pending a clean bill of health from a mechanic. Tires all look good; just gotta make sure the brakes are meaty, it's not losing any vitals, and that the AWD works on it.

Manarius
02-16-2006, 11:39 AM
vrg3 informed me that he's pretty sure the engine is interference (it's a 2.2). Is this true? If so, I'll put more pressure on getting the timing belt replaced (age of belt on car is unknown).

Wiscon_Mark
02-16-2006, 01:30 PM
vrg3 informed me that he's pretty sure the engine is interference (it's a 2.2). Is this true? If so, I'll put more pressure on getting the timing belt replaced (age of belt on car is unknown).

well...sorta.

VRG3 definitely knows what he is talking about.

The DOHC EJ25 is truly an interference engine (valves, pistons, etc can hit each other). The EJ22's valves can impact, which makes it a "1/2 interference" engine. You should replace that belt, and possibly the water pump at the same time to save on labor.