PDA

View Full Version : 2002 WRX seats in 1995 Legacy - what to do?

journey
02-03-2006, 08:53 AM
I picked up a set of 2002 WRX Frt seats for my 1995 Legacy LSi Sedan off of ebay. They look to be in good shape--the seller did not want to ship them, so I got them for a pretty good price ($80). Anyway, all I need to do is pick them up and figure out how to install them. At one time, I had saved some links off of NASIOC on doing the swap but when my harddrive bit the dust a couple of months ago, I lost all those links.

Anyway, from what I remember they should go in without much modification. Also, I seem to remember that the seats will sit a bit higher. Can anyone give me pointers on this and/or some links to others who have done it? I saw another thread here where someone had replaced their seats in a newer Legacy, but I did not see much on what it took.

I would like to keep the original back seats as I like being able to fold the seat down when I carry stuff in my car. So that I do not have frt & rears that do not match, I had thought about dieing both the front & rear seats black--at least they would be the same color. Has anyone else tried doing that?

Thx

belladonna
02-03-2006, 09:00 AM
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-4263.html

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654218

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612548

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587609

those links are for impreza to impreza swaps, but i don't think there's too much difference :?

shazapple
02-03-2006, 09:11 AM
Try getting the rear seats reupholdered, or a good quality seat cover to match the front. Thats my plan if I ever get a set of front seats

Huffer
02-03-2006, 11:52 AM
Yeah, you don't dye seat fabric. That's a bit redneck.

I would just reupholster the rears and doors to match the fronts. Or go with a nice grey/black neutral color scheme (like the Saab 9-2x).

Wiscon_Mark
02-03-2006, 11:18 PM
those links are for impreza to impreza swaps, but i don't think there's too much difference :?

there really isn't any difference, except for height. Bolsters are the same, IIRC.

journey
02-03-2006, 11:26 PM
Try getting ... a good quality seat cover to match the front.I had not thought about a set of seat covers. Most of the seat covers I have seen before have been kind of cheesey. I just did a quick internet search, and most of the seat covers I saw were a couple times more than what I paid for the new seats :shock: Any suggestions on where to look?

Reason
02-04-2006, 03:55 AM
If you want your interior to look good seat covers aren't the way to go. Break down and spend the money to have it done right and re upholstered. I don't understand when people spend money on something and half ass it on a install or some other way. In the end it will cost more but look better.

mr_choung
02-04-2006, 11:50 AM
huh...i installed mine without a hitch......did the back seats also.....the easiest of the two, i thought, was the back seats.......my pain was the front.....first timer :P ......REMEMBER to line up the brackets on the bottom of both seats......bolts right in.... and the height isn't an issue...being 5'10" got like 2-4 inches extra...ENJOY!

journey
02-04-2006, 01:22 PM
REMEMBER to line up the brackets on the bottom of both seats......bolts right inThanks for the comments. I am 5'11'' but my Legacy has a sunroof, which I believe loweres the interior sunroof some. Anyway, I only purchased the front seats. Am happy with the back seats as I like being able to fold down the entire seat, and not just the center arm rest.

journey
02-04-2006, 01:38 PM
If you want your interior to look good seat covers aren't the way to go. Break down and spend the money to have it done right and re upholstered.Yeah, yeah, yeah ;-) Just looking for options--no need to spend extra $$ if not needed. I thought the dieing might be a good approach but would not want it to look cheap or 'redneckish' as another poster suggested. As my interior is dark & light grey, and the new seats are black with the dark blue centers, I thought switching the rear seats and cloth side panels to black would look good. My primary concern about dieing was that the frt & rear seats would have different textures.

Actually, the person from whom I am buying the seats does have the material for the back seats, so I will need to check into that option. I am not sure if it could be used for recovering my current seats.

I book marked the other thread that showed how to remove / replace cloth side panels. The adhesive of at least two of the cloth side panels is no longer holding the cloth to the side panel.

BAC5.2
02-04-2006, 07:06 PM

there really isn't any difference, except for height. Bolsters are the same, IIRC.

Nah, the WRX bolsters are much beefier than those in a 95 Legacy. I had a 95, I've driven TONS of WRX's and I have 2.5RS seats in my legacy. They are VERY different.

The 2.5RS seats are almost identical to the WRX seats though, which is nice because they aren't blue and black, just black.

Wiscon_Mark
02-04-2006, 07:12 PM
okay, I guess what I meant, is that they bolt up the same. wrong terminology :?

shazapple
02-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Good to know the 2.5RS seats are similar except black. I hate my corrent seats, even the seats in my girlfriends suzuki esteem have better bolstering than my car

Pwise2326
02-05-2006, 02:29 PM
You may want to try and look for some 06 WRX seats...I've seen a couple sets f/s here and there due to idiots smashing up their brand new cars (guess the extra 0.5 liter's was a bit too much), but the 06's are silver and black, goes with a lot more than the blue/black combo of previous years.

mr_choung
02-06-2006, 09:21 AM
if you get the chance....get the 04-05 seats (never been in 06) love the new seats...BETTER than the 02-03 which kinda sucks....

Wiscon_Mark
02-06-2006, 07:10 PM
if you get the chance....get the 04-05 seats (never been in 06) love the new seats...BETTER than the 02-03 which kinda sucks....

on what criteria? Comfort, bolstering, height??

Pwise2326
02-06-2006, 10:31 PM
The '06 WRX seats (not the TR version...might as well be legacy seats) have more lateral support and are much more comfortable. Plus the '06 come in the "old school" black and silver, not seen since the older GC8 WRX's in JDM land.

mr_choung
02-09-2006, 11:34 AM
[quote="mr_choung":3q0imzfj]if you get the chance....get the 04-05 seats (never been in 06) love the new seats...BETTER than the 02-03 which kinda sucks....

on what criteria? Comfort, bolstering, height??[/quote:3q0imzfj]

Definitely Comfort and apperance!!

Huffer
02-09-2006, 11:55 AM
02-03 WRX - better lateral support
04-05 WRX - look more like race seats

The 04-05 can be adjusted to have more lateral thigh support - there is a peice of metal that can be bent and some foam added without too much effort.

OUTBACKWBEER!
04-08-2006, 09:43 AM
I plan on gettin a set of '04 wrx seats soon...I like the all black which will work better anyway with my grey interior. I thought about an '02-03wrx seats but they were blu/blk which would look good but the headrest was the cheesy adjustable ones.

GangasCon
03-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Try getting the rear seats reupholdered, or a good quality seat cover to match the front. Thats my plan if I ever get a set of front seats

Could you use the fabric from STi rear seats to reupholster the wagon rears?

Wiscon_Mark
03-04-2008, 12:23 AM
Probably, but there's less fabric on the smaller STi seats. Why bother?