PDA

View Full Version : need help with a seal

GTDrifter
05-09-2010, 10:47 AM
i need to replace the front main seal, got the new one already but can't figure out how to get the old one out without doing possible damage to the engine. i did manage to get the crankshaft and main crank out but couldnt figure out how to get the seal out

TGX4776
05-09-2010, 11:33 AM
did you try a fish? hehehe sorry couldn't resist.

TGX4776
05-09-2010, 12:14 PM
http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/sho ... hp?t=98200 (http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=98200)

this should help. it looks like you have to remove the oil pump.

GTDrifter
05-09-2010, 12:31 PM
i read that earlier but didnt understand what removing the pump would do for a seal thats in the block

plus of course it was warm but like 40 mph wind yesturday and today its 50 degrees...cant win

TGX4776
05-09-2010, 12:54 PM
well from what I understand from the link the seal is housed in the oil pump. so you have to remove it to remove the seal. might as well give it a shot. whats the worst that could happen?

GTDrifter
05-09-2010, 01:00 PM
im talking about the seal behind the crank pulley

also from what i understand the timing belt is also called a serpentine belt and autozone lends a tool to help put that on...would it work on subaru?
heres the link : http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessories/accProductDetails.jsp?counter=0&categoryDisplayName=&fromString=&itemIdentifier=298547_0_0_&productId=298547&sortType=&parentId=6-10&filterByKeyWord=&categoryNValue=&navValue=100330&fromWhere=&itemId=330-10&displayName=Serpentine+Belt+Tool&store=1857&skuDisplayName=Serpentine+belt+tool&brandName=OEM

green97gt
05-09-2010, 01:56 PM
you took the crankshaft out to do your front seal?

timing belt is not a serpentine belt. serpentine belts are accessory belts that all are run off one belt.

haha..that tool will not help you at all. that is for changing serpentine accessory belts. look at your timing belt, where would it go, what would it do?

to get your timing belt off, remove the tensioner, two 10mm or 12mm bolts.

you do not need to remove the oil pump to remove the crankshaft oil seal.

the crankshaft seal if just like the cam seals, looks like a donut. if you can see it, you can pull it out, go buy a seal puller, or heat up and bend a screwdriver to yank it out.

GTDrifter
05-09-2010, 10:03 PM
oil is leaking out of the seal thats behind the crank pulley
i got a seal puller but it wont help because the shaft for the crank pulley is there
me and my dad found a way to get the timing belt back on without screwin with the tensioner

green97gt
05-09-2010, 10:08 PM
the seal puller worked when i did mine...

how preytell did you do this, without stressing the timing belt....which is the thing that keeps our motors from pistons smashing valves? sometimes the correct(remove tensioner, compress/reset by removing pin) is the right way to do things...but what do the guys who built the engines know...

got it in time?

GTDrifter
05-09-2010, 10:18 PM
its in time and runs...we took the bottom left pulley off, put the right cam in time and held it with paper clips (the black metal ones)...then we put the main crank in time, then put the bottom crank/pulley and tightened it to the left side...then we put the timing mark on the belt on the timing mark on the left cam, my dad rotated the main crank counterclockwise as i held the belt on the left cam and rotated that counterclockwise until the belt went on

can you give me a pic of what you seal puller looked like?

ouch1011
05-11-2010, 02:36 AM
I did it by pulling out the oil pump since I needed to reseal the oil pump as well. The front main seal is housed in the oil pump housing, as mentioned. You pull out the oil pump, tap out the seal from the back side, tap in the new one and reinstall the oil pump.

Miker104
05-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Here is a link to a thread on changing the front crank seal (part of the oil pump):

http://beergarage.com/SubyOPump.aspx

See photo 10

impreza_GC8
05-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Just dig that beetch outta there with a pointy object, stabbing at the seal. Try not to score up the metal around it.