PDA

View Full Version : New brakes

Reason
02-05-2006, 01:55 AM
If I can find or borrow a c- clamp I will be installing my front/rear rotors and pads and rear brake lines. Do most of you know how to do a brake job? Maybe I will take pics and do a small write up. Is anyone interested?

ivwarrior
02-05-2006, 09:51 AM
I've done a few (hundred) but pics never hurt, I'm sure there's somebody here who hasn't tried it yet.

Oh, and this is much nicer than a C-clamp for pushing the pistons back into the caliper.....well, unless you're running a 4pot setup, then it wouldn't work. At under $10, it's not a bad price either.

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2006/02/LIS24400-1.jpg

badbasser98
02-05-2006, 02:51 PM
I believe that a write up would be good to have posted even if everyone knows how. But I am sure that is not the case. The more info the better :wink:

-BB98

Wiscon_Mark
02-05-2006, 02:57 PM
I would appreciate a writeup as I don't really know squat about brakes.

Reason
02-05-2006, 05:50 PM
I got the c clamp, but once the rain let up I didn't have much time. Plus I ran into another problem with the Legacy...again :roll:

Pwise2326
02-05-2006, 06:01 PM
Don't use a C-clamp, just use a set of channel locks (pliers), much easier and faster than screwing down that c-clamp. A write up with pictures would be excellent to put under the DIY section.

Reason
02-05-2006, 06:17 PM
My old man uses a screw driver. That works pretty fast but the c clamp is much easier. If I do it during the week before work I wont have time for pictures. I'll try to wait for the weekend. I'll just drive my CRX this week.

ooberdoob
02-05-2006, 06:17 PM
well you have to be careful you don't go too fast, you can cock the piston and then you're screwed.

d00d, brakes are easy. remove. replace. most basic sir.

Wiscon_Mark
02-05-2006, 07:12 PM

I don't disagree, I just haven't needed to mess with them, so I don't know much about em. DIY would still be excellent.

ivwarrior
02-05-2006, 08:29 PM

True, for many people. Doing brakes properly can be a bit more involved, though. There's plenty of stuff that should be cleaned/inspected/lubed/etc that most people don't do, then wonder why their brakes don't work as well as they should/could.

ooberdoob
02-05-2006, 08:42 PM
i'll start: the rest of you elaborate.

go to advance, spend the $30 or $40 and get the damn torque wrench. you will be so happy you did. and you don't break bolts like i did.)

break lug nuts loose (not off, just loose)
jack and place vehicle on jack stands
remove wheel
remove lower caliper bolt
swing caliper up, replace pads.

for rotors:
all of the above then:
slide caliper out of upper slide pin. (note: boot slips off from the slide pin, and there's no bolt here)
bunjee the caliper in the air. DO NOT DANGLE BY HOSE. don't be lazy, get a rope or something.
remove two caliper mounting bracket bolts. tip: break each one, THEN remove them.
remove rotor.

reassembly:
replace rotor: if new ALWAYS USE BRAKLEEN! don't be stingy.
replace caliper bracket. bolts are 51-65ftlbs
replace caliper. bolts are.....

my haynes manual sucks and its been well over 2 months. i don't rember much more. the last brake job i did was my gf's civic. so those numbers and images are in my mind still, not mine.

its a start, someone pick up the ball and run with it.

Pwise2326
02-05-2006, 10:21 PM
One thing you want to remember is to NOT REMOVE bolts with the torque wrench, you could break it, only use it to do what it is meant to do, tighten bolts to the specified torque rating. Use a breaker bar on a rachet or wrench.

Reason
02-05-2006, 10:38 PM

True, for many people. Doing brakes properly can be a bit more involved, though. There's plenty of stuff that should be cleaned/inspected/lubed/etc that most people don't do, then wonder why their brakes don't work as well as they should/could.

I agree, I have brake lube and brake cleaner and I really get into it. I could have done them less than 2 hours easy just half assing it. I rather have a whole day and get my hands dirty. I need to put on the rear stainless brake lines. I might replace the brake fluid too for shits and giggles.