PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Retrieving ABS code from a 98 BK

Drifting STi
02-06-2006, 01:38 AM
I recently did a STi strut and spring install on my BK. In the process I must have damaged an ABS wheel speed sensor. The ABS light is on.

How do I retrieve the code? I've search forums all over and haven't been able to come up with an answer. Can anyone help? I'm not going to the dealer for this since they will rob me at the cashier counter.

BTW I love the feel of the STi struts and springs on the BK. Here is a pic.
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2006/02/100_0284-1.jpg

belladonna
02-06-2006, 07:56 AM
you could go to advance or autozone since everyone here tells me they will still scan code....

Drifting STi
02-06-2006, 08:15 AM
I know autozone does ECU.
But will they be able to scan the ABS computer?

Edit: I called about five different autozones in my area. All said they can not retrieve ABS codes....."only check engine light".
I dont have any advance stories near me.

Come on, I know i'm not the only one with ABS problems.

belladonna
02-06-2006, 09:48 AM
sorry i was thinking of pulling an ECU code :?

Huffer
02-06-2006, 11:04 AM
ABS diagnosis is probably only available at the dealer.
Sorry, I can't help.

redlegacygt
02-06-2006, 11:48 AM
you might have already done this, but ill just throw it out there anyway. Check your ABS fuses first. When i just got my car fixed from a small fender bender to the left side it caused the ABS light to come on but only when put the car in gear. When it was taken to a garage, the guy saide that a fuse was blown which caused the pump not to work(?). However once he replaced the fuse, it worked and then he could tell if that the light was on because of a speed sensor. He said most people change the sensor first before even checking the fuses and spend lots more money then they need to.
I dont know how helpful that is, but i figured id just share the info that i was told

Drifting STi
02-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Hey red! thanx for the advice! thats the most help i've gotten so far!

Drifting STi
02-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Okay....I pulled two ABS fuses from under the dash and nothing.

I checked the main fuse box under the Hood and there was no ABS fuse in there.

Any other suggestions?

Wiscon_Mark
02-06-2006, 07:20 PM
Advance doesn't do anything other than ECU scans either...not really helpful to you though :?

Pwise2326
02-06-2006, 09:47 PM
Take a look behind the hub if you can, thats where the ABS sensor locks into a weird-looking notched ring. Just follow the ABS sensor cables down to where they bolt in on the hub. You may have damaged them if you weren't carful with that breaker bar trying to get the camber bolts off the bottom of the struts. Also check where the wire is connected to the strut, make sure the wire isn't in an odd spot with abnormal wear through the insulation. Having swapped WRX struts and STI springs as well, the mounting locations for both the brake cable and ABS cables are different, and if you arent careful about mounting them somehow, you can run into issues with them rubbing on the inside of the wheel.

Unfortunately your best bet may be going to a place that only does wheels and brakes, it's too bad you werent in the southwestern CT area or I'd highly recommend Central Wheel and Brake in Bridgeport. Ask your local mechanic who he'd recommend for brake work, anything to avoid more rectal abuse from the dealership. Otherwise, it looks like you're going to have to bend over....

Drifting STi
02-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Pwise, Thank you. I'll have to go to a brake expert then.

I'll keep the progress posted on this thread for members who might run into this sort of thing in the future.

voorhees
06-19-2006, 09:35 PM
I too have a speed sensor code, did you fix yours? Pwise the hub? center of rotor area, ya? behind it? I'll cjeck it out