PDA

View Full Version : Trunk leaking.....grrrrr

bakergtt
02-06-2006, 11:03 AM
So I found out that my trunk lets water in, isnt that great. Half the shit in my trunk was soked even the carpet and as I pulled up the carpet to see the spare whell theres oh about 2 inches of water sitting in there.

I noticed that one side of my trunk seems to sit a tad bit highter then the other, cuz the other side feels flush with the side panel, could this be the cause of the leak?

Could it be coming form the spoiler?

Where are some other places to look?

This coming weekend I will pull everything out on my trunk and even my back seat and crawl in to the trunk to see if i can find a gab somewhere in the seal.

Also it seems that Im getting water into my right tail light. I have pulled it out and looked at it and i cant find or see where water can get in. Can you give me any hints where I shoudl start of that?

Thanks

Huffer
02-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Check the seals along the sides of where the trunklid rests, check the spoiler holes, check under the spare wheel.

Huffer
02-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Also it seems that Im getting water into my right tail light. I have pulled it out and looked at it and i cant find or see where water can get in. Can you give me any hints where I shoudl start of that?

Thanks

Tail-light - could be condensation. Use a hair dryer to heat up the interior, then use a flashlight to examine the seals carefully.

bakergtt
02-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Check the seals along the sides of where the trunklid rests, check the spoiler holes, check under the spare wheel.

Should I silicone the holes of the spoiler?

I know the trunk lid doesnt site flat and im not sure how to go about fixing it.

Why would i check under the spare? if there was a hole the water would have drained.

bakergtt
02-06-2006, 01:22 PM

Thanks

Tail-light - could be condensation. Use a hair dryer to heat up the interior, then use a flashlight to examine the seals carefully.

Can the condensation build up enough to see water in the light?

shazapple
02-06-2006, 03:05 PM
Check the seals around the taillights too. Condensation can cause water droplets to form in your light, but not anything more than that (if you have a small lake in your tail lights you have a problem!)

Other than the spoiler, have you changed your taillight or anything?

Pwise2326
02-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Exactly, I had a cracked taillight and it let sooooo much water in...my donut was submerged. Take the taillight in question off, check the seals of the light itself (the plastic to the housing) silicone any areas that look a little gritty or non-existent. Then put a good bead of black silicone along the housing that seals to the hole in the metal of the trunk (try to scrape off as much of the old crap as you can, it'll probably have a lot of dirt intrusion, and the silicone may have dried out and cracked, hence causing a source of the leak. Apply a nice thick fresh bead, heat it up a little so you get an AMAZING seal, then pop that sucker back on, apply a bit of pressure while you tighten down the 3 nuts on the inside of the trunk. The spoiler holes are good and sealed on their own from the factory (unless you've changed your spoiler in the past), otherwise you may want to change the weatherseal around the trunk lid (easy to do). Try the light first and let us know what happens.

bakergtt
02-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Thanks guys will try it this weekend since we are suppose to have some nice weather here.

gotturbo
02-07-2006, 03:03 PM
water in the trunk sounds like what i had. it started to leak after i swaitched my tail lights. you should maybe remove them and put more sealent on them. that is what cllsed my leak.

-matt

bakergtt
02-08-2006, 11:15 AM
So i pulled the light out yeterday and black jacked a seal and pul it back in so hopefully it will fix my leak preoblem. We are having some nice weather here right now so I have to wait tell it rains or can find time to run water over it. Will let you know if it fixed the problem