PDA

View Full Version : deadlydave's Stock 1996 Impreza L *barely stifles laughter*

deadlydave
06-15-2010, 09:54 PM
Hey guys, haven't been around much. After i got lambasted by frie...son of a bizatch, my buddy just called and his 'new' 09 wrx just lost all it's oil! Suby emergency, i'll check back on this later or tomorrow, here's my L. Copy pasted from Upstate NY Subaru Owner's Club Forum.

EDIT: The car is extremely fast, and boost comes on brutal from the VF39. Even with the swap, the curb weight has hovered right around 2800 pounds. There is no sign of the 'exploding tranny' even though it was take from a bugye, my guess is the lag, weight of the car, and Extra-S have all helped with that.

"The Impreza formerly known as 'WAGNZILA'."
Previous Owner: Byron O'Hara
1st Owner/Builder: Garage Tuning (of Kalifornia)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs130.snc4/36859_508439462864_178300027_30227784_1288884_n.jpg
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs334.snc3/29314_508327187864_178300027_30224556_8197030_n.jpg

1996 Impreza L with 2002 WRX motor and tranny
Engine Management: DomTune
Peak Horsepower (@wheels): 256
Peak Torque(@ wheels): 236
Best Quarter Mile: 13.0

Mechanical
2.0 WRX engine
IHI VF39 turbo
06 WRX front brakes
4 point crossmember brace
APC BOV
Beatrush rear dif brace
Cusco LSD (clunky but cool)
eBay turbo inlet
Extra s tranny fluid (Subaru)
Fujitsubo one piece catback
Greddy front mount intercooler core
Grounding kit
Hawk hp+ pads
Injen intake
Jun 9 lb. Flywheel
Kartboy short shifter and bushing
Koyo Radiator
IAC
K&N filter
NGK Spark Plugs
newer steering rack
Noltec steering rack bushing and rear endlinks
Paranoid big three wire kit
Perrin F/R sway bars.
Prodrive WR struts/springs
STi Genome Boost gauge
STi heavy duty sway bar rear mounts
STi Strut Tower Bar front
STi V6 aluminum control arms
STi V6 rear disc brakes
Syms Strut Tower Bar rear
TIC outrigger bushings and rear subframe bolts
USDM STi 04 crossmember with extra bracing
Whiteline roll center adjuster kit and good alignment
WRX pull-type trans case with WRX gears and 4.11 final drive

Body
Chargespeed lip (new)
JDM clear corners, turn signals and tail lights
JDM large rear upper wing
JDM light bumper beams front and rear
JDM RA doors, way lighter
JDM RA roof vent
JDM rain guards
JDM V2 aluminum hood
JDM V2 bumper w Chargespeed Lip and STi fog covers
JDM V6 rear bumper
JDM WRX rear decal
Liberal front grill
Porsche paint
Prodrive battery tie down and oil cap
Roof antenna
Smoked side markers
Volk Racing wheels, 16x7

Interior
Alpine component rear 6" / 1" with crossovers
Carazzoria (JDM high end Pioneer) 6" / 1" component
JDM 22B STi steering wheel
JDM RA door cards
JDM roof rails
JDM WRX seats
Kenwood cd player w/ipod control
Leather shift boot/knob
Oh crap handles

The car is amazing. It's good to be in a subaru again. Extra good because it's a turbocharged manual. More to come later. The car is extremely well set up, so I'm probably just going to do wheels/tire and a more comprehensive gauge suite. 6 months ago, I was considering getting a used 08 STI. I'm glad I didn't because this thing is amazing and was so much cheaper.

_Dave
(I miss you guys :))

Reason
06-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Nice Dave welcome back! You should make it to the NE meet in July this year with that beast.

deadlydave
06-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Nice Dave welcome back! You should make it to the NE meet in July this year with that beast.

July is mostly free, i'm super interested in seeing some of the guys' cars again. I wanna see how the progressed. There's a growing Legacy element on my local board, maybe i'll wrangle a group to come over.

My buddy's 09 wrx, driven directly from the dealer to his driveway, was COMPLETELY OUT OF ENGINE OIL. Like, not a drop on the dipstick. No smell from exhaust, no smoke, no oil on the front undertray. We filled it and waited till morning. A small puddle formed under the car by 6am, but by 9 am the puddle hadn't gotten bigger. He got Center Subaru of CT on the phone and is having it flatbedded to Capitaland Subaru of Scotia, NY (much closer). The oil, after having been in the car for only a few minutes and circulated by engine idle went from clear-amber to mid-brown. Wuh-woah.

chuckthefuk
06-16-2010, 01:59 PM
What a list of goodies. The GF is a hard chassis to look at compared to other wagons but that one definitly pulled off the "Get out of the way" look.

I really like the rim color scheme. They are gold spokes w/ black lip? Pic does not do it justice.

Congrats and welcome back to the flat-4 club.
-Chuck

deadlydave
06-17-2010, 10:31 PM
What a list of goodies. The GF is a hard chassis to look at compared to other wagons but that one definitly pulled off the "Get out of the way" look.

I really like the rim color scheme. They are gold spokes w/ black lip? Pic does not do it justice.

Congrats and welcome back to the flat-4 club.
-Chuck

Thanks Chuck. They're Volk GTC's that are heavily weathered. were originally silver w/polished lip, then gold w/polished lip, now gold w/black lip. I plan of having them media blasted, maybe paint em or powdercoat them 1 solid color.

She's a fugly little gremlin, and that's why i love her. Update: Version 7 STI wheels are on the car with 235-45-17 summer tires. She's back to her sprightly grippy self now that she's off the snows. The V7's are super sexy on the 1st gen chassis.

rougeben83
06-18-2010, 07:44 AM
Nice to see you back in a subaru Dave :)

1996Battlewagon
06-20-2010, 08:26 AM
Damn! That's not what I was thinking when I first read the title "L". That thing is flat out awesome! Welcome back.

What'd you do with that Toyota...

deadlydave
06-25-2010, 06:06 PM
Nice to see you back in a subaru Dave :)
It's good to be back. Now we definitely have to find a mutual auto-x location.

Damn! That's not what I was thinking when I first read the title "L". That thing is flat out awesome! Welcome back.

What'd you do with that Toyota...

The plan was to hang onto it until I was sure this thing had no gremlins lurking around. I'm probably selling it: a friend has first dibs but after that you'll probably see it pop up for sale. If I sell it to some schlub on craigslist i can get 2k more than I owe, if I sold to a forum member locally or even here I'd probably only ask for 1k over what i owe because it's coming with 3 sets of wheels, an extra LSD, and an extra shock/spring combo (stock now, tien h-techs were on the car when i got it.) As it is the GF is driving it: her car got totalled while parked in front of our apt.

This is how she sits now: 16x8 rota slips with 225-50-16 cheap summers up front and 245-50-16 cheap summers out back. Also, the rotas are all gloss black now.
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs286.snc3/27964_508102642854_178300027_30218510_2580995_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs316.ash1/27964_508102627884_178300027_30218508_989351_n.jpg

ryu_haneda
07-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Both cars are lookers. The L is absolut pwnage wearing V7 rims! Can we say, future article? :grin:

deadlydave
07-16-2010, 11:34 PM
Both cars are lookers. The L is absolut pwnage wearing V7 rims! Can we say, future article? :grin:

It's not a legacy, but maybe you could do an 'exhibition'. I have a few friends with DSLR cameras for some snaps worthy of your writing effort. These are the same V7's I had on the Baja.

Oh, threw bigger front brakes on this week: Stoptech ST-40's off a local WRX that is being parted. They're absolutely massive rotors and the calipers are bigger than my forearms. I'm taking a few days off this summer to do the following:
-custom undertray for winter (made from discarded stop sign)
-Install replacement front fender liners
-Either put black mesh over FMIC or paint FMIC black
-Repaint liberal grille mesh
-Repaint parts of front bumper under the lip
-Pull I/C tubing out and ceramic coat some easy to keep clean color
-Replace windshield (has aged badly, lots of scratches)
-Get the damned STI Genome boost gauge wired to 'remember' my warning light setting.
-Paint the rad support behind hood latch black...it's currently teal and very uncool.

I sold the lexus last weekend. She's going to be daily driven in north jersey soon by the new owner.