PDA

View Full Version : stainless vs. ceramic

VTbikerguy
02-06-2006, 08:30 PM
As some of you may have read, i'm doing my exhaust system from the headers back.
I'm going with the Borla ceramic coated WRX headers, and a Forced Air Technologies c. coated UP. But before I do those, the turbo-back needs to be done the most, and i'm wondering about the pros & cons of ceramic.
Will it chip easily?
Are the heat reduction qualities really that great?
Is it worth the $ ?

Wiscon_Mark
02-06-2006, 08:38 PM
I'm pretty sure ceramic implies coating the headers, not headers made cermaic...most people get them ceramic coated to help heat flow and keep moisture off the headers to prevent rusting.

Stainless steel is the most expensive, but usually the best quality exhaust.

dropdfocus
02-06-2006, 10:09 PM
With the header being that low to the ground, it's not worth it. My co-worker purchased ceramic coated headers for his Ford 351 V8 installed in his lifted truck. The problem is that if you chip the coating, it will start to peel off like foil. Now he has surface rust forming...
So with the Subaru header being low like that, you may see minor debris hit it and cause the material to come off. Stick with all stainless steel and you'll be very satisfied! :twisted: I had a stainless steel cat back system on my Focus ZX3 and even with PA salt covered roads, I had no issues what so ever. Stainless is A+ in my book!! :twisted:

Wiscon_Mark
02-06-2006, 10:13 PM
true, but you could always put a skidplate on ;)

legacy92ej22t
02-06-2006, 11:12 PM
Ceramic coating can be important for flow on a SS header system. SS headers dissapate heat a bit too rapidly, so on a turbo setup it effects velocity. A lot of people use header wrap because it's cheaper but header wrap can cause problems with longevity. Ceramic is much better but a lot more $.

On the TBE, just get the DP coated. The cat-back doesn't need it.

It also depends on the coating, they are not all created equal. As Jason said, cheaper "grey" ceramic coatings can chip and flake. Some of the JEt-Hot black stuff can too. Get Hyper-Coating. It's what I have on my DP. It will not flake, chip and/or peel. THe stuff is totally tits.

Reason
02-06-2006, 11:40 PM
As Jason said, cheaper "grey" ceramic coatings can chip and flake. Some of the JEt-Hot black stuff can too. Get Hyper-Coating. It's what I have on my DP. It will not flake, chip and/or peel. THe stuff is totally tits.

I plan on ceramic coating my Borla header when I get it. I'm very good at prepping before paint. I'm very tedious when it comes to things like that. I did up my CRX rims with black ceramic engine paint. This summer it will be a year and there's no chipping or peeling. My question is what is this "hyper coating"? When I do it I rather use the best stuff so I don't have to worry about it in the future.

VTbikerguy
02-08-2006, 04:10 PM
if you chip the coating, it will start to peel off like foil.
That was my biggest concern :wink:

On the TBE, just get the DP coated. The cat-back doesn't need it.
That was my original plan...and yeah, whas is this hyper coating?

I plan on ceramic coating my Borla header when I get it. I'm very good at prepping before paint.
You can get already coated headers right from Borla, too. Is it cheeper to just do it yourself?[/quote]

VTbikerguy
02-08-2006, 04:11 PM
oops :roll:
still getting used to this thing..
did those pics work for ya, Mark..lol

legacy92ej22t
02-08-2006, 07:16 PM
I'm at work so I can't copy and paste any websites but just do a search for " HPC Hypercoat Extreme" and you should get some hits. It is probably the best ceramic style coating on the market. It can reduce external temps up to 50%. :shock: It's where it's at, trust me, I know.

Jason-You've seen it, it's what I have my CES Racing DP coated with. :twisted:

mr_choung
02-09-2006, 11:31 AM
what was the pricing for each...
a guy est. me 300 bucks for header back w/cermatic
i found SS piping for 100 bucks shipped 2.25 on ebay.
also....will piping from menards work and effective?