PDA

View Full Version : My Subie making a wierd clicking/

MarkSubi
06-26-2010, 12:47 AM
This has been happening for a few weeks now but I've noticed alot of times that when I first turn on my subie and start to drive off that when I make a turn it makes a clicking noise, it also dose it at times even when I'm doing turns on the road. Another thing it dose is when I've been driving it for awhile with out turning it off or even stopping that it makes the noise while im driving and my steering wheel kinda jerks towards the left and when you let go while the steering wheel is doing that it starts turning to the left alot like if my front right tire was badly aligned.

I used to have my own scenario about it but after the first time it started jerking the wheel towards the left Ive been stumped at what it could be.

:smt017

riceboyler
06-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Sounds a lot like CV joints going bad. When's the last time you checked your axles? If the wheel is jerking, then you could have some serious issues with the CV joint being really screwed up, or you could have an issue with the rest of your suspension. I'll get those axles checked out ASAP, as a ruined CV joint can really ruin your day.

Good luck!

MarkSubi
06-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Whats the worst thing that can happen if any of those scenarios reach their limit?

jey
06-30-2010, 04:03 PM
When the CV joint has completely failed I guess it would seize up...

harrymaneuvers
06-30-2010, 05:16 PM
It is not good!!!!! Mine failed within 72 hours of noticing the swerve in the steering wheel.

I was driving up to Portland when i first noticed it. Going about 70... with just one hand on the wheel... it wasn't enough to make my car swerve really but it was enough to make my heart jump a beat and know that it isnt normal...

I drove the 600 or so miles to Portland noticing this random jerk in the wheel about 8 times the entire drive. The next morning... I noticed the clicking noise as i went slowly around corners...

No more than 45 minutes later... while taking a right at the end of an off ramp (maybe a 10 mph turn), the entire CV joint went on the drivers side. It sounded HORRIFIC!!!!!!! A hard clunk and then a grinding sound as I hear and feel metal pieces hitting the road. Luckily I was in a place where I could pull off and have a mobile mechanic come out. You REALLY don't want to try to drive with the CV joint shattered and rolling around on the underside of your car... half of it will still be attached to the transmission.

I paid $80 to have an ASE craigslister come out and do it on the spot. (because i was 600 miles from home and needed to be back that night.) And he provided the new CV axle too. Took the guy maybe 45-60 minutes.

impreza_GC8
06-30-2010, 07:35 PM
Get a new axle

MarkSubi
07-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Oh shit mad thats pretty bad. I hope I can get them fixed before they go out.

One thing I have noticed and I think its weird is I'm not hearing the clicking noise anymore but from what you said and also other things I've herd from other subie owners tell me, what i was hearing and stuff is having to do with the CV joints so I'm still going to get those replaced.

MarkSubi
07-06-2010, 11:02 PM
What would be the cheapest way of getting them fixed?