PDA

View Full Version : Steering/braking noise

mr_g
07-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Hey guys I been having this ticking noise that is loudest when I brake, it seems to be loudest when I slightly brake but now when I brake pretty hard I can hear it also I guess it has gotten worse. I hear it sometimes slightly whenever I am turning or simply going straight on an uphill or downhill without any braking pressure. My driveway is an uphill probably a 20-30 degree slope or so and when I come to nearing a stop while I have some pressure on the brakes I can hear it tick. When it completely is at a stop on my driveway I hold on my brakes about midway or so and turn my wheel and I can hear it ticking. When I put my ebrake on and release the brakes and turn the wheels it still ticks but not as loud. There are a few things that I think it might be, my steering, axle, bearing, or balljoint? In a few days I am planning on flushing my power steering fluid and see if that will "fix" it but I highly doubt it. I am also putting in my full coilover suspensions so I will be inspecting everything in that area and see if I can find the culprit. If it turns out to be my axles how do I tell if its bad or not if my cv boots arent torn am I going to have to take the cv boot off? Also if it can be my bearings how the hell will I be able to see if the bearings are bad when it sits in the wheel hub is there a way or no? Any help would be great thanks, I appreciate all of you guys answering all my other questions it sure does help!

mr_g
07-15-2010, 06:33 AM
Took out my brake pad shims and it seems to of stop the braking noise for now. So hopefully it doesnt start ticking again, Im going to drive around some more just to make sure its gone for good. My steering/going noise is still there probably is my axles or bearings going to have to look into it further.