PDA

View Full Version : screen refresh rate vs. screen size

Huffer
08-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Ok, so I have an opportunity to pick up either a 37" LCD or a 40" LCD.

the 37" is 5ms
the 40" is 8ms

Both are 1080p with 178degree viewing angles.
Both are LCD units and are made in mass quantities. Neither is a major brand name like Samsung, LG or Sony. I'm not worried about that too much as I've demoed both models.
Same price, the only difference is that the 40" is a local retailer with an excellent warranty record (which is a must for me with LCD screens) and the 37" is a online refurbished item with a 3 month warranty.

The TV will be in the living room, and will be used for movies, general tv and games.

What say you, SL-i?

d1giPhux
08-06-2010, 01:40 PM
its not going to make a noticeable difference regardless. choose whichever is cheaper i guess! or whichever YOU think has better picture quality.

mike-tracy
08-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Go with the bigger one, you'll be happier. And just think, regular LCD's used to be in the 25ms range, which was fine for movies but not so much for games. Anything under 10ms and I can't see any difference.

decke48
08-06-2010, 11:38 PM
unless your really into sports or games and picky the 5ms will be better in theory . but youll never see the difference. from my experience with refubs you might save some cash, but you seem to hit or miss on quality since theyre fixed warranty products. plus with lcd tvs you have worry about dead pixels. most refubs only come with a labor warranty no parts plus you have to ship them out. with a local store new tv, most warranty covers parts and labor, w/ home service or through the store. if there the same price, go with the 40" its better off in the long run, and youll probably be happier with it

Huffer
03-17-2011, 04:22 PM
Well, looks like the argument was decided for me - nowadays you can easily find a 5ms 120Hz 40"+ LCD tv for under $550.

In fact, I was just looking at a Hannspree LCD 42" with 120H, 1080P and 4.5ms refresh rate for $469 on Walmart.com, brand new.

But I have now been eyeing up the LED backlit screens as well... they are much better for dynamic viewing.

httrdd
03-17-2011, 04:33 PM
LED all the way. That is the way I am going after we get rid of the plasma.

Huffer
03-17-2011, 04:39 PM
I cant handle all this 3D crap either!