PDA

View Full Version : 2.2 swap in my LGT got 2.2 questions...

punkracer
08-08-2010, 01:17 PM
i got a motor... 97K 2.2 from a 98 legacy, attched to an AUTO tranny..its a dual port exhaust and has EGR.. mmm nice and not beat on and will bolt in easily ... going to re gasket it and do the metal back plate, all new seals and tbelt etc. might re head gasket it just to do it.. (i know they dont have the issues)

any other things i can do to the 2.2 while i got it out.. dont wanta go back in unless im swaping for turbo motor or h6 swap..

what can i do to a 2.2 to pick up pep loss that i had with my 2.5... headers? intake? etc.. im a subi noobi and am current reading articles in my current tab browsing.

chuckthefuk
08-08-2010, 11:49 PM
Welcome to SLi.

Sounds like your one of the lucky ones with the dual port EJ22. Right of the bat you can do:

- Unequal length exhaust manifold (buy the ones for the 2.5RS on ebay)
- remove the intake silencer (snorkel) thats in the passenger side bumper/fender
- Grimmspeed instake manifold spacers
- Grimmspeed throttle body spacers
- K&N drop-in filter
- Stainless steel clutch line (if you have a hydraulic clutch)
- Lightweight pulley set
- New timing belt / water pump / spark plugs / wires/ maintenance stuff

Overkill:
- ARP head studs
- Subaru STi (Group N) engine mounts / pitch stop (dogbone)

Check out the DIY section and get the Full Service Manual (FSM) from the literature section.

Enjoy
-Chuck

ouch1011
08-09-2010, 12:29 AM
An equal length header (like the OBX header) would most likely net more power than an unequal length, but it won't give you that "Subaru sound" like everybody seems to want. It instead gives a more smooth, tuned sound.

You might also consider a set of cams. The stock EJ22 cams are really, really mild, designed for the best fuel economy and low end power, but make it feel like a dog on the top end compared to the EJ25D. I haven't looked into them too much since I don't have an EJ22, but supposedly they are pretty reasonably priced and not too bad to install with the engine out.

punkracer
08-09-2010, 07:59 PM
An equal length header (like the OBX header) would most likely net more power than an unequal length, but it won't give you that "Subaru sound" like everybody seems to want. It instead gives a more smooth, tuned sound...

You might also consider a set of cams. The stock EJ22 cams are really, really mild, designed for the best fuel economy and low end power, but make it feel like a dog on the top end compared to the EJ25D. I haven't looked into them too much since I don't have an EJ22, but supposedly they are pretty reasonably priced and not too bad to install with the engine out.

yes i love the sound of a boxer motor, lol. can the cams support stock valvetrain? like deltas?

Welcome to SLi.

Sounds like your one of the lucky ones with the dual port EJ22. Right of the bat you can do:
- Unequal length exhaust manifold (buy the ones for the 2.5RS on ebay)
- Lightweight pulley set

Overkill:
- Subaru STi (Group N) engine mounts / pitch stop (dogbone)

check out the DIY section and get the Full Service Manual (FSM) from the literature section.

Enjoy
-Chuck

where the best places to buys these items? any of our vendors? also thanks, it took a while to join on here, i had to wait a week to get my membership conformation email.. lol.. im happy with my leagcy and it doesnt even move..

i come from the honda world, and even our lil 1.6l sohc motor we can get 150whp+ out of them all motor..

my weekend bomber hatchbackhas a 1.9l lsvtec with 11.0 cr makes 215whp,

i know awd steals alot of this, also being fro the honda world< light weight pulleys destroy oil pump gears and harmonics are bad. how r the harmonics of subarus?

chuckthefuk
08-10-2010, 01:39 AM
PM Reason be can get you most parts but I am pretty sure the manifold can be found on ebay for $200 or something.

-Chuck

Grafton
08-11-2010, 12:35 AM
instead of removing the snorkel do a hybrid intake that way you don't loose any bottom end