PDA

View Full Version : thermostat (1995 Subaru Legacy LSi)

RalliedxLegacy
08-18-2010, 08:09 PM
i got a new radiator for my car and i flushed out the coolant. I took it for a drive and 10 mintues later the temp gauge spiked up to "H". so i parked it and opened the hood. and it was smoking, the overflow bottle was full, and the upper hose was hot but the lower hose was still cool. my dad said that the thermostat is most likely closed. so if thats true how could i get at it and replace it? would it be hard or should i have a garage take care of it?

Airgne
08-18-2010, 08:12 PM
its easy. hose clamp and a few bolts. try to get a cooler one. 180deg is stock. 160 deg is a good place to be at.

harrymaneuvers
08-18-2010, 08:15 PM
I thought that 170 was stock?!?!?!

Also... I thought that running a cooler thermostat is useless unless you can reprogram your ECU to turn your cooling fans on/off at a different temperature.

Airgne
08-18-2010, 08:21 PM
i know that on my 3rd gen is 180deg. also ts not about the temp that your fan turn on at. is about when the therm opens. this helps your engine to last longer.

RalliedxLegacy
08-18-2010, 08:54 PM
ok cool. thxs guys. i wanna get my car back on the road but this radiator problem just keeps dragging on. and the thermostat is located on the lower hose right?

Airgne
08-18-2010, 08:57 PM
yes lower rad hose in the block.

RalliedxLegacy
08-18-2010, 08:59 PM
ok cool, i wish it was still daylight cause then i could go take it out. haha

ouch1011
08-19-2010, 01:40 AM
Actually keeping your engine operating at its designed temperature will help it last longer. Running it coolerthan designed can actually increase wear. 10-20* probably won't matter, but it won't help anything for sure.

I suggest getting an OE thermostat from Subaru. Parts store tstats are usually junk.

Airgne
08-19-2010, 01:46 AM
Actually keeping your engine operating at its designed temperature will help it last longer. Running it coolerthan designed can actually increase wear. 10-20* probably won't matter, but it won't help anything for sure.

I suggest getting an OE thermostat from Subaru. Parts store tstats are usually junk.

i think your are wrong. i you have proof to show me than i will change. from what i have known of my 16yrs of being a mechanic. fomr what i have leraned and seen is warmer will increase your mpg but cause more wear from the higher heat. when colder you will loose mpg because the ecu is trying to get the engine to the operating temp. withe the lower temp the engine will have less wear.