PDA

View Full Version : cheap way to get power

RalliedxLegacy
08-18-2010, 11:23 PM
I noticed today i pulled out onto a main road which was a steep hill and my 1995 legacy had some trouble getting up to speed. i know i didnt bury my foot into the floor but it seemed slow. i just wanna get more power out of my car more acceleration then speed. if anybody has ideas on how to get more power (thats not expensive) it would be great!! :)

Airgne
08-18-2010, 11:25 PM
remove all the interior.

08-18-2010, 11:26 PM
then swap on an impreza front clip...

grinding your cams down will probably do the most for the money on your 2.2, delta cams does this up here in washington

Airgne
08-18-2010, 11:44 PM
talk to reason about the cams he did it in his 2.2

anothernord
08-19-2010, 12:03 AM
Install a turbo or supercharger.

There isn't really such thing as a cheap way to get power. If it were cheap, it would have come from the factory with it.

Reason
08-19-2010, 12:30 AM
The cams helped me out a bit.

MRLancaster
08-19-2010, 12:35 AM
whats grinding cams?

Airgne
08-19-2010, 12:37 AM
i have 2000/1000 delta cam grind. they are awsome. the car really came alive with them.

GTDrifter
08-19-2010, 09:09 AM
you should know that the cheapest parts add a ton of horsepower and speed to you car...at least that what honda drivers think when they take a trip to walmart

StatGSR
08-19-2010, 09:16 AM
^ your retarded.... :grin:

Honda bashing hasn't been cool for a least 5 years :smt021

get with the times!

subie/legacy
08-19-2010, 09:40 AM
if/when you do cams, might as well replace your EJ22 block with a EJ25D one.
downside is having to run 91 octane. i don't know, just throwing that out there :smt020

Whats your definition of "Not to expensive" ?

TGX4776
08-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Steal an 09 STi the swap engines and sell it off to some poor idiot 16yo and swap the badges from a WRX and tell them WRX's aren't turbo.

on a Serious note Give it a full tune up and can restore some of that lost HP. it has been proven on the Dyno

and some top gear for the heck of it

http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-gea ... 199780.htm (http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-gear-renault-avantime_199780.htm)

RalliedxLegacy
08-19-2010, 01:15 PM
the ideas i have as cheap power would be a new intake, more air. and a full sti exhaust. but i do like the cam idea :D

Huffer
08-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Wind the windows down, and sit really low. It gives you that go-kart effect. :P

subie/legacy
08-19-2010, 02:25 PM
^^^best post of the day. :lol:

StatGSR
08-19-2010, 03:06 PM
the ideas i have as cheap power would be a new intake, more air. and a full sti exhaust. but i do like the cam idea :D

but those are noise makers not power adders.....

while they may be "cheap" they don't really "do" much. at least not on their own on an otherwise stock 2.2.

Reason
08-19-2010, 03:36 PM
if/when you do cams, might as well replace your EJ22 block with a EJ25D one.
downside is having to run 91 octane. i don't know, just throwing that out there :smt020

Whats your definition of "Not to expensive" ?

What I would like to do real soon!

02_Legacy
08-19-2010, 05:13 PM

http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-gea ... 199780.htm (http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-gear-renault-avantime_199780.htm)
@2.00 "cars that we all like: this (renault avantime), ford mondeo, and SUBARU LEGACY" FTW lol, ok continue with your discussion :grin:

TGX4776
08-19-2010, 06:33 PM

@2.00 "cars that we all like: this (renault avantime), ford mondeo, and SUBARU LEGACY" FTW lol, ok continue with your discussion :grin:

At least somebody got it :grin: :smt023

jey
08-20-2010, 05:14 PM
First thing to do to get more power out of an old car is to make sure all the maintenance is up to date. Air filter, fuel filter, plugs, wires, etc. The stock 2.2 in my 95 was fine up and down hills - no road rocket but didn't fall behind in traffic or anything.

08-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Anyone have any price ranges for cam grinds from delta

Airgne
08-20-2010, 07:30 PM
Anyone have any price ranges for cam grinds from delta

call ken or pm him.

Navi271
08-20-2010, 10:09 PM
I completely agree with Jey. Keep it running well and it will perform well.

I also did the msd coil conversion with my car. No one is really sure if it's the coil, the wires, the spark plugs, or a combo of all 3 that make you gain some power but I sure did gain something!
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=11704

I noticed the power gain on one specific hill on the interstate nearby my apartment. My 4 speed AT liked to downshift to get enough power to keep speed (70mph)and make it up the hill. After I installed the MSD coil, NGK plug wires, and NGK spark plugs, it doesn't have to anymore!!!

There's no way you're going to race the guy next to you in a 95 2.2L N/A legacy, but it is a great daily driver.

ouch1011
08-21-2010, 02:55 AM
Maintenance 1st. Make sure you are up to date on ALL your maintenance. This isn't particularly cheap or easy, but anything else you do will be worthless if the base engine isn't in good shape.

The only thing I've done to my car power-wise that made any kind of noticable power difference was the header, and even then it was pretty small, and mainly on the mid- to high-end power band (4500+rpm)

RalliedxLegacy
08-21-2010, 12:01 PM
yeah i was gonna tune my car and replace some stock stuff so its more up to date but now i have to either get an entirely new engine, new heads, or get my stock heads machined. haha $$$

anothernord
08-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Suspension/driveline mods on an N/A car are far more worth it than power mods. Besides cams, intake, and exhaust, theres not a whole lot that can be done.

green97gt
08-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Besides cams, intake, and exhaust, theres not a whole lot that can be done.

said the man w/ a supercharger

aekOne
08-23-2010, 03:34 AM
Suspension/driveline mods on an N/A car are far more worth it than power mods. Besides cams, intake, and exhaust, theres not a whole lot that can be done.

+1, most sensible suggestion yet

ouch1011
08-23-2010, 05:22 AM

+1, most sensible suggestion yet

Doesn't answer the OP's question though. He asked for more acceleration, not better handling.

subie/legacy
08-23-2010, 06:19 AM
yes, make sure maintenance is all up to date. then go from there.

cams will probably be the best bang for your buck. since you only have two.
lightweight crank pulley
throttle body spacer
phenolic intake manifold spacer
MSD mod
DIY ebay intake
header- UEL header for "boxer rumble" and some performance, or EL for more Performance and less Rumble.
catback exhaust 2 1/4" -2.5" piping
high flow cat
port and polish your heads
valve job
I know you said not to expensive, but this is just about all you can do to an N/A EJ22 motor short from performance pistons or swapping in a 2.5 block.
sorry I don't know prices

RalliedxLegacy
08-23-2010, 11:17 AM
thats ok, but thxs for all the help. ill probably end up doing all that. haha and upgradng my suspension too :D haha

kevbot
08-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Maybe some foglights/hood scoop would help! If that doesn't work, I would suggest adding a racing stripe! (or stickers, if your on a budget)

ScaryFatKidGT
08-28-2010, 11:18 PM
LEGACY FTW! they talking about the 05-09 I hope?

They should of welded the heads on and supercharged the bitch. I want to do CAMS and EM soon but I have 4 :(

richysteele
08-29-2010, 12:19 PM
tune your car up, clean your injectors! then read this

viewforum.php?f=11 (https://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewforum.php?f=11)

read the post that says so ya wanna go fast by purdue!

ScaryFatKidGT
09-03-2010, 01:25 AM

but those are noise makers not power adders.....

while they may be "cheap" they don't really "do" much. at least not on their own on an otherwise stock 2.2.Well there is that thread on the dyno of the Ebay intake like a 3HP increase in peak HP and a max increase of like 11HP around like 3k RPM I think.

If cams are done intake and exhaust mods would help more wouldn't they?

JunkerXL
11-09-2010, 11:48 PM
no such thing as cheap easy hp on non turbo cars ;) best bet is to replace all the sensors, get new shocks and some good tires, and if it's a 5 speed, a new clutch. when it runs like new it feels faster. beyond that, lean way back, squint your eyes and shake a little when you take off from a stop sign, thats how i get my brighton into STI MODE. beyond that it pretty much intake exhaust headers cai, etc etc etc. no magic bullet for subie engines

aekOne
11-10-2010, 06:15 AM
Doesn't answer the OP's question though. He asked for more acceleration, not better handling.

Sorry my bad. There are no cheap ways to get more power. I was just trying to do the OP a favor and point him in the right direction for spending money on his car and not waste it trying to chase cheap power that isn't there.

POD, CAI, and exhaust will give next to no actual power increase, any perceived increase will basically be a placebo. They will make the car rev more freely and might change the way the power/torque is delivered but wont noticeably increase actual power, you may even lose some. the factory tune and set up gets about as much out of the engine as it has to give so if your chasing power it's gonna cost you.

For more power i would be starting here: Extractors (3-5kw), Cams (?), get a port and polish on your heads (4-7kw), Port match your heads to exhaust (2-4kw), harder valve springs (2-3ks) and a shift kit if your have an auto (firmer, harder shifts, less lag between changes).

Won't be cheap and in my opinion not worth the time or money. an ej25 or ej20t conversion would be much more rewarding if your going to go to all the trouble and money of what i suggested above.

As others have mentioned already in this thread, i would just get the car serviced and running as well as it can as a tune up can really bring an old engine back to life and leave it at that

no such thing as cheap easy hp on non turbo cars ;) best bet is to replace all the sensors, get new shocks and some good tires, and if it's a 5 speed, a new clutch. when it runs like new it feels faster. beyond that, lean way back, squint your eyes and shake a little when you take off from a stop sign, thats how i get my brighton into STI MODE. beyond that it pretty much intake exhaust headers cai, etc etc etc. no magic bullet for subie engines

spot on