PDA

View Full Version : engine performance and cats, including funny noises.

dusterbd13
09-07-2010, 08:15 PM
OK, ill throw this out and See what happens.

Friday, after about an hour of driving, we started having some issues with our 02 2.5GT. it was severely down on power, the throttle lag was worse than normal, the check engine light came on (dunno, didn't check it) and we started getting an intermittent noise from the engine bay. it happened regardless of AC on or off, idle or throttle or coast, in gear or not, moving or not. not quite a squeal, not low enough to be a grind. felt the vibrations slightly throughout the car. limped it home, started poking around. could not get it to make the noises again in the shop. so i backed it out, and when i shut it down the noise happened again. about 2 seconds in duration, sounded like in front of the passengers side foot well area.

so i had it towed to the Subaru dealer over in asheboro. they called me today, and stated that is needs new cats (116K), and that was what was causing the throttle response, lack of power, etc. could not get it to make the noise again, but had the theory that it was the exhaust escaping via the EGR system. ( i have never heard of that, and i think that idea is absolute crap. I'm willing to be told different, though)

they wanted to hit me for almost 2000 bucks for the cats.

i found that walker exhaust has them made and sold through rockauto for 260. i have no problem putting the car back on my lift and swapping parts. but I'm wondering if this diagnosis sounds correct given the information i provided, and whether or not the walker parts are worth buying. i do have to pass emissions here in NC next month.

so, let me know what you think.

the history of codes on the car in the past 6 months are:
1. P0420: catalytic converter efficiency below threshold.
2. TPS sensor input voltage low.

I've replaced the rear O2 with a new Bosch piece, readjusted the TPS sensor, cleaned the IAC and MAP sensors, new plugs, wires, filters, ran the valves, and checked for vacuum leaks. none of this has made any of my problems with power, fuel economy, or throttle response any better. matter of fact, its all been getting worse.

anyway, please advise before i spend money and time that i don't have in excess quantities.

michael

httrdd
09-07-2010, 09:39 PM
A blocked or partially blocked cat will cause power loss. It might also cause some shaking of the engine. You could buy a high flow cat for around 80 bucks and get a custom exhaust built for about another 300. I would not mess around with buying new stock subaru parts. Way too overpriced.

decke48
09-07-2010, 11:23 PM
what state do you live in? i remember 96-99 (cali emissions) they did a warranty on the cat for 15 years/150000miles depending on the original state the car was bought in (vt, ma, ny, ca, others) and they do it on 04-09 pzev now
ill try to find more info

dusterbd13
09-08-2010, 07:42 AM
so wht im hearing said is that it is not far fetched given the symptoms that the cats went bad. ok, no porblem. ill put new ones on it. with this many confirmations, im willing to try. will the aftermarket walkers work well and pass the OBD check, or willit be like my old dakota where it never would get the CEL to go off?
also, if you could find out about the warrenty, i would greatly appreciate it.

michael