PDA

View Full Version : having problems with cooling

aznguy0087
09-14-2010, 06:04 PM
like it says im having a cooling problem, had a bad radiator so i went ahead and replaced it with a new one. along with a new thermostat, upper and lower hoses, clamps from subaru. bleed the system but the bubbles never seem to stop coming out, im using a funnel kit that sits on top of the radiator and ive used that thing a million times before, so i know thats not causing the problem! and my upper and lower hoses are rock hard from the pressure, where i cant even squeeze on them. i put the thermostat in the right way, the pointed end pointing down with a new gasket. could there be a block somewhere inside my block? could it be my water pump?

So my questions
#1 why are there still bubbles coming out of my engine after almost an hour of bleeding?
#2 why are upper and lower hoses rock hard with pressure?

if anybody has any clue or what the heck my problem could be thanks...

httrdd
09-14-2010, 06:33 PM
Did the old radiator have a clog problem? It may be that there was stop leak put in and got into the block or heater core. The bubbles you are refering to may be the build up of pressure. I am guessing the fluid is overflowing at that point? If you let it cool and warm it up are the bubbles present?

aznguy0087
09-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Did the old radiator have a clog problem? It may be that there was stop leak put in and got into the block or heater core. The bubbles you are refering to may be the build up of pressure. I am guessing the fluid is overflowing at that point? If you let it cool and warm it up are the bubbles present?

i dont think the old one had a clog, the plastic end tanks where falling apart leaking coolant and it was all dented it. the bubbles only happen when im bleeding the system. im guessing it a blown head gasket, exhaust gases are getting past the gasket and causing the bubbles :smt022 so more work to come!

Huffer
09-14-2010, 11:43 PM
drain some of the coolant, refill and try reburping the system again. Sometimes the cars burp better if you have the front wheels in the air on a ramp. Air bubbles rise...

Airgne
09-15-2010, 01:02 AM
^+1 on the front end in the air.

are you sure it is exhaust?

aznguy0087
09-15-2010, 08:31 AM
drain some of the coolant, refill and try reburping the system again. Sometimes the cars burp better if you have the front wheels in the air on a ramp. Air bubbles rise...

yeah when i was installing the new radiator i had the veh. on the lift and when i was done and bleeding the system i jacked the front end up, cuz i know if the radiator is higher then the block it will bleed better/faster.

^+1 on the front end in the air.

are you sure it is exhaust?

yeah i going to do a test to day at work. it checks for exhaust gases in the coolant, from what i heard it works pretty good. wish me luck!

jey
09-17-2010, 05:45 PM
I assume you unscrewed the bleed valve on the other side of the radiator when filling it right?

aznguy0087
09-20-2010, 10:50 AM
went ahead and droped the engine, i droped the exhaust, went ahead and cranked the pull crank pulley and water started coming out of the driver side exhaust port!!! so water was leaking into engine, headgasket was blowen/damage. everything is back together, new timing belt and water pump, just in cause. and plugs where fouled out and new plugs too. will update soon :D