PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like the engine is going to stall when I hit the gas

hellaGT
09-30-2010, 01:35 PM
After I put the stock headers back on I notice a "clink clink" while in gear and hitting the gas especially with A/C compressor on. It's the sound the car makes right before it stalls but then climbs the RPM range

I had high flow headers on before so it seems like the car has been "corked" back up and having trouble moving the back pressure and the added drag from the A/C is making it worse.

I noticed this before installing the high flow headers but it wasn't this severe.

Other than getting high flow headers again, which I may do now, Can I adjust timing or anything else to fix this? Any causes like bad spark plugs? I have magnacor 8mm wires and lithium sparkplugs installed about 40,000 miles ago so I'm going to change them soon anyway.

Thank you

httrdd
09-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Could he something that just happened as you changed the headers and may not be related. No codes? I am thinking you put more stress on the o2 sensor with the higher flow and causing the engine to want to stall. It could also be injectors blocked too. My rough idle was my timing jumped. There are a lot of things to check without a cel.

hellaGT
09-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Yeah, that's the only nice thing about the CEL.

httrdd
09-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Yea. You should be around the plug change miles so start there and run some injector cleaner. That will be a start.

hellaGT
10-01-2010, 02:32 AM
Yea. You should be around the plug change miles so start there and run some injector cleaner. That will be a start.
Funny. I was just going to post that a bottle of fuel injector cleaner had fixed it...

httrdd
10-01-2010, 07:04 AM
Good to know, but still replace those plugs unless they are rated for longer mileage.