PDA

View Full Version : Help would be appreciated

Dictater
10-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Hey so the story goes like this. Yesterday I decided to go and install my Perrin pulley and after I got the belts off and to try on the crank bolt I found that the particular socket that i was planing on using wasnt going to work because it was too bulky. So after that unsuccessful attempt I re-installed the belts and went about my business keep in mind that I didnt even move the crank bolt at all.

Later on that same evening about an hour away from my house she dies down. So initially my thought is I fucked up on the belts somehow. They were not loose which i was thinking maybe they were loose and not completely catching. If they were not on properly they were more on the tight side then the loose. So I push her out of the road onto the shoulder to find my coolant was smoking. So was able to throw in some water and make it to the nearest convenience store to buy some coolant. Made the mistake of tossing it in the overflow while the car was off as oppose to the radiator cap after letting it sit and it instantly began bubbling. When the car turned on it was okay for a minute then the pressure blew the cap off the coolant overflow. So I thankfully had a spray bottle on me and got out as much of the coolant from the overflow as I could and let the car sit for a few then tried again when I had the car running and it was working fine for about 5 or 6 minutes then it started smoking a bit so turned the car off once again. Eventually had the car off and tossed some in the radiator itself. The overflow was going to overflow so I had to work some magic with the spray bottle before it overflowed while keeping the engine on after a little while mainly pressure was coming out from the radiator hose into the overflow. I was there for over an hour trying to get this figured out and keep in mind that towards the end of this the radiator was cooled off and it was still happening.

After talking to a few people I'm thinking that it maybe either the water pump of the thermostat. So right now my beautiful baby resides and hour away from my house waiting to be looked at. I just want to see what you guys think?

01 gt
10-12-2010, 12:29 AM
Need more info :

- Mileage
- Last time you did your thermostat or waterpump

Hopefully it just a thermostat

Dictater
10-12-2010, 12:31 AM
The mileage is 81k. I just bought her 4 months ago so I haven't done any work on either

01 gt
10-12-2010, 12:36 AM
Im betting it the thermostat but dont take my word for it. Any white smoke while you driving? Or anything but oil come out when you do a oil change?

Dictater
10-12-2010, 12:47 AM
Did my oil change just under a month ago and nothing else came out with it just oil. The white smoke was happening when the engine was running but i when i had to just drive it down the street to the store to get coolant it wasn't visible but when i popped the hood it was there. not a ton of it but still enough to make me worry. I'm hoping its just the thermostat

Dictater
10-12-2010, 04:12 PM
just heard back from the mechanic he is assuming it is either the head gasket or cracked head :-(

Huffer
10-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Assuming it's a cracked head or HG? Or knows for sure?

You could drain the coolant and check for oil in the mix, if you have oil, or foam in the coolant, then you have a HG leak.

In that case, drop in some street cams, replace the HG, do the timing belt, t-stat, oil and water pumps, and LW crank pulley.

:D

ouch1011
10-13-2010, 01:43 AM
1) Unless you drained the coolant when trying to remove the crank pulley, anything you did to the car is completely unrelated. The water pump is driven by the timing belt, which you wouldn't have touched.

2) Was the car overheating prior to it dying? If so, and you literally drove it until it died, then yes, you probably blew a head gasket as a result of badly overheating the engine. But that may or may not have been the cause of the initial overheating.