PDA

View Full Version : rally wagon. suspension/handling questions.

woofy
02-19-2006, 11:39 PM
so i have a 98 legacy outback wagon. i always see other models of subarus being made into a rally car but not mine,and i wanna be diffrent and take that rout, and have something unlike most of the car kids my age around here(DSM's with exausts......lol) so im gunna go for the rally style,and hopefully by the end of summer be able to take it to some rallyish things or auto cross.,i dont want to focus on the engine that much aside from a full CAI and what i have in it now so i wanna go the handling and susp.,for starters im thinking about picking up F and R swaybars then onto mounts to replace the OEM ones. what all else is there i can do,id also like to keep it the stock ride hight.

Plays_with_Toys
02-19-2006, 11:47 PM
Kind of like my avatar?

I'm going for a tarmac assault rally car look. So low to the ground, big mudflaps, and I'll be equipping some honking big fog lights to the front. I think I'm going to go with 2 sets of hella 500's.

So, nothing to add, other than, I like your style.

EDIT: Actually, have you thought about the fact that rally cross is really tough on your car, and will cause alot of parts to wear out prematurely, especially on a daily driver? Also, "rally" racing usually requires a roll bar. Rally cross does not to my knowledge. A full underbody skid might be up your alley though.

shazapple
02-19-2006, 11:52 PM
thick front and rear swaybars and mounts are a good first step. Some better endlinks too. Bigger brakes and calipers are nesseccary.

Id start out at autocrosses and rallycrosses before moving into serious rallys. Its a good place to hone your driving skills. plus you dont need rollcages and all the crazy regulations.

jey
02-20-2006, 05:45 AM
If you're going to Autocross Solo2 SCCA competitively you might want to see what modifications are allowed in what classes. It kinda of sucks if you change something (like rear swaybar) and discover that it bumps you into a class where you can't possibly be competitive (like STS).

As far as suspension/handling mods go, nothing gets you better bang for the buck than some good tires.

woofy
02-20-2006, 12:07 PM
awesome.thanks for the advice.

Huffer
02-20-2006, 12:33 PM
Rally and autox are completely different things. The suspension setups (to be competitive) are totally different.

You could have the "rally" look at the autox though.

woofy
02-20-2006, 01:04 PM
ah alright,now to find parts. can any one recomend a good site?

chipLRX-SLI
08-02-2008, 06:09 PM
rallying is really hard on your car . my legayc has seen its days in the gravel ,mud , large puddles ect . i would recomend that you do not lower it . add mud flaps . fog lights and some skid plates ,

subba
08-03-2008, 02:07 AM
i link he figured it out lol 2 yrs ago :p

chipLRX-SLI
08-03-2008, 03:06 AM
ya i figured i was just throwing in my 2c about the subject .

outbacktweaked95
10-02-2008, 10:41 PM
also for rally its expesive to start just the race like $400 for a full fledged race and im pretty sure a 6 pint cage. rallycross is much less expensive and from what ive heard a blast. im looking into it hopefully after i get a junker to mess with