PDA

View Full Version : STI brakes on BE sedan

mutti_wilson
02-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Will sti brakes fit on a 01 GT LTD? I'm pretty sure WRX brakes will from what i have read, and i swear i've read that STI stuff fits too.

Huffer
02-21-2006, 02:40 PM
Which STi? USDM, JDM? Which year?

mutti_wilson
02-21-2006, 03:01 PM
04, i want to keep the same lug pattern. USDM. I am talking about the brembo ones too, not the subaru "STI".

gator gt
02-21-2006, 08:16 PM
04, i want to keep the same lug pattern. USDM. I am talking about the brembo ones too, not the subaru "STI".

Other than the lug pattern portion of your statement, I'm confused.

The '04 STi will have the same bolt pattern, 5x100. The 05 went to 5x114.

Now, I'm not sure about the fronts, if the Brembos mount straight up on the WRX, then you're fine for bolt on application.

The rears you can't do, unless you get rear hub assemblies from an STi...and then you'll need STi axles....then you'll need the R180 STi rear diff, IIRC.

On top of this, you'll need rims that will clear the Brembos, as they are some of the largest brake upgrades out there for Subarus...needing the most clearance you can get.

So, its not just "buying the Brembos" and putting them on....its a little more in depth than that.

GGT

badbasser98
02-21-2006, 09:15 PM
+1.. Always nice to have someone that knows what the hell they are talking about :wink: I was wondering myself about what I could get for an upgrade... Since the Brembo's are questionable... Any suggestions GGT?

Huffer
02-21-2006, 11:58 PM
06 WRX 4 pot brakes and H6 rear brake upgrade... at least 2 pot rears.

mutti_wilson
02-22-2006, 10:50 AM
I understand that. I'm gonna be getting bigger wheels for sure, looking for silver STI wheels. I know the rear is a pain, and i wouldn't use them there. I would just get better rotors, lines and better pads. I am positive the fronts are a bolt on, but it's hard to find that answer.

gator gt
02-22-2006, 07:23 PM
I understand that. I'm gonna be getting bigger wheels for sure, looking for silver STI wheels. I know the rear is a pain, and i wouldn't use them there. I would just get better rotors, lines and better pads. I am positive the fronts are a bolt on, but it's hard to find that answer.

Well, to find out if the fronts are bolt on, stroll on over to NASIOC, as they are more WRX orientated and more than likely have the answer.

In terms of only doing fronts, should they bolt on: BAD IDEA! No matter how 'good' your rear rotors and pads are, you will have SEVERE bias to the front. This is not good.

badbasser98, In terms of reasonable upgrades?

Huffer is onto it.

example Legacy OEM:
98 GT Front: 2 pot sliding caliper 277mm dia vented disc
98 L Front: 1 pot sliding caliper 260mm dia vented disc

98 GT Rear: 1 pot sliding caliper 266x10mm dia solid disc

First step:
Front: 02-04 WRX 2 pot sliding caliper 294mm dia vented disc
Rear: H6 1 pot sliding caliper 290x10mm dia solid disc

Second step:
Front: 06 WRX 4 pot fixed caliper 294mm dia vented disc
Rear: see First step

Third step:
Front: see Second step
Rear: 05 Legacy GT (turbo) 1 pot sliding caliper 290x18mm dia vented disc

Fourth step:
Front: see Second step
Rear: 06 WRX 2 pot fixed caliper 290x18mm dia vented disc

This is just based on pre-Brembo and non-aftermarket. One option that could be substituted for the FHI 4 pot is RacingBrake's aluminum 4pot caliper. I think Rotora has a rear 2pot fixed caliper option as well.

Wheel fitment is another thread.

Now, in terms of the 06 WRX fixed calipers, there are previous design variations. There is another red style (with raised 'SUBARU' letters) and a grey/black/dark green style (with raised 'SUBARU' letters as well) which were available on STi Ver4-6 in JDM land. 06 WRX calipers have painted/stickered 'SUBARU' letters, not raised.

Here's another screw into the mix: the previous generation 300ZX Twin Turbo had front 4pot/rear 2pot setup that is extremely similar to the Subaru setup...although their mounting points are not the same, IIRC. But their piston rebuild kits are the same, as are some hardware pieces (whisker springs, spring clips, pad pins).

confused? :lol:

GGT

badbasser98
02-22-2006, 08:29 PM
going to the MY05 GT rears... would that be faily "bold-on" so to speak? or would that require changing the hubs, etc... Also, I am assuming this would require 17" wheels at least if I was to also do the 06 WRX fronts... or are those 18's? (not a 'preza guy :lol: )

Thanks for the help GGT :wink: as always you know your *edit* [stuff] *edit* :-D

-BB98

mutti_wilson
02-23-2006, 11:19 AM
Don't i already have 290X10 rear rotors and "H6" brakes in the rear. It's a 2001 GT LTD. If i do this, i'm gonna do it all at once. Would it be so bad to have a less than ideal bias for the time inbetween upgrading the rear. I'm not racing, so uber-performance is not necessary.

Pwise2326
02-23-2006, 03:32 PM
Negative ghostrider, the H6 was the only model with H6 brakes. 17" wheels would be nice, but you mainly need wider wheels (at least 7") and an offset of +53 to +48 if you have 7.5's. The nice thing about the '06 WRX brakes is how much cheaper they are compared to their JDM counterparts, although there are some cosmetic differences that GGT mentioned.

As far as temporarily having some bias, its still not good, puts a lot more stress on the front of the car, you are better off saving up for money for an extra couple of weeks and getting everything all at once and put on all at once.

gator gt
02-23-2006, 08:41 PM
going to the MY05 GT rears... would that be faily "bold-on" so to speak? or would that require changing the hubs, etc... Also, I am assuming this would require 17" wheels at least if I was to also do the 06 WRX fronts... or are those 18's? (not a 'preza guy :lol: )

Thanks for the help GGT :wink: as always you know your *edit* [stuff] *edit* :-D

-BB98

Yes, the 05 LGT rear are 'bolt-on' as thats what replaced OEM with on the 98 (except it was JDM BE B4 rears at that point! :twisted: ). Nothing needs changing, except for the dust shield...that needs to be bent back. Just take a ball peen hammer and use some persuasive finesse. :D And you CAN use the OEM 18 spoke 16x6.5 rims for the BE Legacy GT. I did the same before upgrading rims.

The only time you NEED 17" rims is for the 05 LGT fronts.

For all the setups I listed above, the smallest diameter rim you can use is 16". But, as Ryan mentioned, you need to watch the width and offset of the rim.

Mutti_wilson: racing would make the bias even WORSE! Thats when your chassis is being tested and put through the paces and thats when positives AND negatives of your setup show up more prominently! So, just because you're not racing, doesn't mean that you won't feel the adverse effects of a high front bias.

We're not trying to flame you, but trying to help you avoid a chassis setup that you'll regret later.

GGT

badbasser98
02-23-2006, 09:57 PM
This may work out well, since I believe that my front calipers are borked anyways... The pads aren't touching the outter, I would have to say.. 3/8 to 1/2" of the rotor. :smt017 Been this way since I got the car, didn't notice it at time of purchase. I also am probly going to need pads and rotors this summer too, so might be the best time to upgrade. Are the '06 Rex calipers a direct fit too? As for wheels, I have the MY05 LGT wheels. And for winter I use 16" Sport Edition Fox 5's... not sure of their offset. But there is a ton of room between the wheel and OE brake system.

gator gt
02-23-2006, 10:32 PM
PM'd you badbasser

GGT

mutti_wilson
02-27-2006, 12:41 PM
I'm not feeling flamed. I'm asking question cause i dont know, and any input is cool. 2 days ago my friend wrecked his 04 sti pretty bad, and he's thinking that they will total it for sure. If they do, he's gonna buy it back and part it out. If that happens i've told him im in on the brakes and the wheels (kinda scratched, but easily fixable). What is involved in going to the R180 hubs in the rear, and how compatible is the e-brake with the STI caliper?

gator gt
02-27-2006, 09:44 PM
To convert to the R180 rear end, just take out your rear end crossmember and install your friends STi rear end. These normally go for $1800 alone. I'm not sure what Brembo brakes go for...too rich for my wallet though.

To run the R180 rear end, you'll need the axles, knuckles, hubs (which are 5x100 in this case)....so while you're at it, like I said, just take out your whole rear crossmember (including the trailing arm and lateral links) and put in the entire STi rear end.

Although, now that I think about it, I'm not sure about the rear suspension setup of the BE series. I never really studied it compared to the BD series, but I know enough that they don't take the same rear struts and springs.

iamrazor, fibuz, sixspeedlegacy...these would be the men to talk to about that.

Its a touch more than just tossin' on the bling.

Your e-brake cord should swap right into the same location of the STi setup....I think. I'm not sure, cause I've never dealt with one personally, but know that Subaru tends to carry designs throughout their lines.

GGT

Sarra
02-28-2006, 02:22 AM
Stock replacement Brembo's are actually cheaper than anything else I've found yet. =\ Performance Brembos are expensive though. :)

scottzg
03-05-2006, 10:35 AM
i think the lug pattern is different for that year too- the rotors will need to be replaced with 05 ones. I think.

josh, aka legacy777 made this:
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8 ... kemath.xls (http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/brakemath.xls)

that should answer any bias questions.

Matty2Hotty
04-24-2010, 11:38 PM
Well bringing this thread back... I know some of you have done the swap. Im looking to do this on my 01 LGT, just the fronts.

What is it all that i need...
04 STI Rotors
04 STI Brembos
Caliper Brackets?
Front Brake lines?

Jdm rsk
06-16-2010, 07:09 AM
Well bringing this thread back... I know some of you have done the swap. Im looking to do this on my 01 LGT, just the fronts.

04 STI Rotors
04 STI Brembos
Caliper Brackets?
Front Brake lines?
all sti brembos calioers are the same, just the pcd changed on the rotors from 05-. you dont need brackets for the fronts only the rear
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a348/shane1963/DSC06148-1.jpg
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/

STIll inspired
08-13-2010, 01:37 PM

04 STI Rotors
04 STI Brembos
Caliper Brackets?
Front Brake lines?
all sti brembos calioers are the same, just the pcd changed on the rotors from 05-. you dont need brackets for the fronts only the rear

so i have a 2000 lgt how could i get brembos to work on my car?

mike-tracy
08-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Get any year STI brembos. Get 2004 STI Rotors for the front, get this bracket & rotor combo for the rear: http://www.fastwrx.com/rebradkit.html
(you NEED special rotors because STI's got 190mm parking brakes vs 170 in most other subarus, so you'd lose the ebrake by using "off the shelf" STI rear rotors)

STIll inspired
09-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Get any year STI brembos. Get 2004 STI Rotors for the front, get this bracket & rotor combo for the rear: http://www.fastwrx.com/rebradkit.html
(you NEED special rotors because STI's got 190mm parking brakes vs 170 in most other subarus, so you'd lose the ebrake by using "off the shelf" STI rear rotors)

thanks man great info. sorry i didn't thank you sooner. i totally forgot about this post but i will now be saving this info for future refrence!

silver_s13
10-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Just to clarify, Switching from a single piston sliding caliper to a two, four , or six piston caliper DOES NOT make your car Front brake biased. You put these on and the rear will lock way before the front does. You are increasing the volume of the caliper without change the proportions in which it is delivered so the front will react slower than the rear. If you want the brakes to operate properly, you have to put an adjustable proportioning valve inline. It is also generally a good idea to go with a larger bore master cylinder as your smaller bore is not designed to deliver the volume of fluid to the larger calipers.

Matty2Hotty
10-09-2010, 03:50 AM
Just to clarify, Switching from a single piston sliding caliper to a two, four , or six piston caliper DOES NOT make your car Front brake biased. You put these on and the rear will lock way before the front does. You are increasing the volume of the caliper without change the proportions in which it is delivered so the front will react slower than the rear. If you want the brakes to operate properly, you have to put an adjustable proportioning valve inline. It is also generally a good idea to go with a larger bore master cylinder as your smaller bore is not designed to deliver the volume of fluid to the larger calipers.

Thanks for the info on the Maste Cylinder..... So people who swap into Brembo should find a 04 STI Master Cylinder then? No idea is the MC would be straight bolt in since i dont think anyone has done the swap. I could be wrong!

mike-tracy
10-09-2010, 04:09 AM

We've been over this before, the 1" MC in his car is the same size as the USDM WRX's with the 4-pots got. STI's have 1 1/16 bore MC's (as did older wrx's, despite having vastly different brakes, as did the 91-94 Legacy turbos with their tiny brakes). Only effect having a bigger brakes on a stock MC is your pedal stroke is slightly longer.

Now I'm curious about your idea that the rears lock up before the fronts with larger front calipers. I upgraded to 2-pot fronts on one of my cars, and kept the rear stock for about a week. My ABS was disabled due to a broken tone ring at the time. I didn't notice the rears locking up at all, the front end nose dived severely, though. Swapped the rear caliper to match the front and I was back in business, ie. the car no longer dove hard under heavy braking. On another Subaru of mine, I swapped drums to discs, and mistakenly put wagon calipers on, and on that car I was able to lock up the rears since the fronts brakes were too small. No ABS at all on that car. So what you said makes sense but I haven't experienced that for myself.