PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth putting on WRX OEM suspension ?

GT Wagon
02-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Since it fits and is in plentiful supply (cheap) due to all the take-off's. I'm wondering if its worth it over OEM Legacy suspension as a cheaper alternative to aftermarket.

I'll be on a budget this year with the wedding, there is always the option of picking up slightly used aftermarket suspension from someone parting out their WRX setup.

Pwise2326
02-24-2006, 08:56 PM
Definately worth it over a replacement OEM Legacy setup. Only thing you may want to invest in is some lowering springs because the OEM ride height may be a little higher than stock Legacy.

strat81
02-25-2006, 05:59 AM
actually, i'm guessing the added weight of the legacy will have it sitting lower. my wagon was SLAMMED on impreza lowering springs...

Huffer
02-25-2006, 08:30 PM
I don't think it's worth it. The extra "handling" over the stock Legacy stuff can easily be offset by getting proper fitment items.

strat - the WRX is about the same weight as the Legacy - you probably had 2.5RS fitment springs on and they were probably designed to be quite low.

Wiscon_Mark
02-25-2006, 11:27 PM
Huffer- why would the fit be any different?

Yeah, it'd be an improvment, might be a bit higher, but there's nothing wrong with that honestly, especially if you live in the snowbelt.

GT Wagon
02-26-2006, 07:24 AM
Ok, how about this.... If I was to try to save a little money and buy "used" aftermart parts... Should I look for parts coming off a WRX or parts coming off the previous gen RS ? Which would work on a Legacy ?

shazapple
02-26-2006, 09:02 AM
Probably the WRX, cause the previous gens wernt that heavy.

02-26-2006, 01:59 PM
i am a HUGE fan of '04 rex struts with '04 rex prodrive springs on the BD.

t h e y r o c k !

Wiscon_Mark
02-26-2006, 10:36 PM
^^^what the hell?!

Guests aren't supposed to be able to post.

Huffer
02-27-2006, 11:47 AM
Huffer- why would the fit be any different?

Yeah, it'd be an improvment, might be a bit higher, but there's nothing wrong with that honestly, especially if you live in the snowbelt.

I meant getting items that are plug n play with no extra thought required.
Whiteline springs, GR2 struts, OEM mounts. Done.

Wiscon_Mark
02-27-2006, 11:47 AM
gotcha. But they're all the same anyways...I suppose its just peace of mind, huh?

Huffer
02-27-2006, 11:50 AM
gotcha. But they're all the same anyways...I suppose its just peace of mind, huh?

That's exactly right. I'm past the point where I'm happy with driving along the road wondering if my frankenstein setup is working the way it should, and when I go to an autox, I don't want to have anything extra to deal with, because I installed something that was a "workaround".

Working around "workarounds" is a PITA.

scottzg
03-05-2006, 10:39 AM
2.5rs front springs at all 4 corners 4 t3h win.

Doesn't alter stock over/understeer, lowers about an inch, and marginally increases stiffness.