PDA

View Full Version : today on the news, russel mcsoob has been hospitalized...

JunkerXL
11-10-2010, 01:26 PM
so a problem i thought fairly benign has reared it's ugly head again. a month ago i was waiting for my wife in the parking lot of a local supermarket when it just started idling strangely and died. i restarted it, but again, strange idle and then dead. the problem went away after that night and has not returned but the night before last, it did, only differently. when we started the car it had a wicked miss. then died. so when we restarted it, it missed about 2 miles and then stopped and drove fine the next day. then last night, it would not stay running. it would start just fine, then the idle would drop immediately, and it would die, so i figured the iac might be toast but when you rev it, it will rev then just feels like it runs out of steam and dies again. im 50/50. i noticed that the coolant sensor on top of the motor has coolant on it, seems like it's leaking, so i'll be replacing that but i cant decide if it's the fuel pump or iac. it has a strange burn-y metallic smell when it dies, so im thinking it's leaning out. i researched this last night but no one mentioned the awful smell, so im at a loss :smt017 . any thoughts?? :smt022

:smt020

also it's a 96 l sedan with 178k and it's an auto (sadly) and it IS posting a cel

02_Legacy
11-10-2010, 04:46 PM
you mise well start by figuring why the CEL is on. But it sounds like you are on to something with the fuel pump.

Huffer
11-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Yep, pull the CEL. My guess is a clogged or failing fuel pump or injector.

JunkerXL
11-11-2010, 10:27 AM
mystery solved, after talking with ricearu from usmb :smt023 , we went back and fourth for a while, and came up with maf. unplugged the maf and the tps, to trick the car into limp home, then plugged the tps back in. started running again with the maf unhooked. runs rich and sloppy but it runs, i'll be visiting the salvage yard on saturday to score a new one. i tried cleaning it with maf cleaner, over and over but no dice, it's just dead. i figured out it wasnt the fuel pump when i primed it and shot fuel across my engine bay, lol :smt022

:smt020