PDA

View Full Version : Overheat/Coolant/Whining Sound/No Hot Air Issue

blackmedal
11-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Preface:

1999 Subaru Legacy GT
5-speed MT
128,xxx Miles
Headgaskets, heater core, and thermostat have been replaced since time of purchase (76,xxx miles)

Hoping for some help diagnosing my car's problem before I start ordering parts and wrenching away.

As the title states, I recently experienced two separate occurrences of the car overheating (never peaking, but at 3/4 or more), coolant is being burned, drank, or leaking at an alarming rate, I'm now hearing a whining sound coming from the engine, and hot air will only come out when I top off the radiator with coolant or when I'm driving and the car is over 3k RPM.

Observations:

Overheating (never peaked, but needle has reached the 75% mark or higher)
Coolant is being consumed very quickly
Coolant is caked on my headers
Currently a whining sound is being heard from within the cabin as I drive
Whining sound gets louder as the RPM's increase (like a turbo, but I don't have one :lol: )
Hot air blowing is inconsistent
Air goes from room temperature or luke-warm to warm/hot as the RPM's increase

I have read a bunch of threads in the Naturally Aspirated Engine subforum regarding overheating, coolant issues, etc. and it seems the majority of the issues are fixed via a thermostat or water pump replacement, coolant flush and refill to remove coolant bubbles, or the dreaded headgasket fix. I am leaning towards the water pump dying since it has yet to be replaced and the factory manual states the whining sound could be the water pump.

Any suggestions, recommendations, advice, or diagnoses would be much appreciated.

If any other information is needed please let me know, I may have omitted something. Thanks for reading through this wall of text! :grin:

ProjectLGT97
11-29-2010, 08:20 PM
When you take the radiator cap off of the radiator is there a lot of pressure behind it?

httrdd
11-29-2010, 08:32 PM
The symptoms are surely waterpump problems. Look under the car occasionally to see if there is a small puddle. The whining is prob the burnt pump on its last thread of life.

httrdd
11-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Oh and I say this since there is no water circulation to the heater core, radiator over pressurized causing it to overheat and spill out causing loss of fluid, and the sound of coarse.