PDA

View Full Version : Stage/Power pkg and a new to me LEg GT '99

auspex
03-02-2006, 12:32 AM
HEy everyone! THis is my first post after feeling somewhat "enlightened" by everyones opinions/knowledge about Subies. I have always really dug the BD and just sold my Pathfinder, so I'm on the prowl for a decent mileage '98-'99 GT. (looking to do an immediate EJ20t swap with 5mt + new wheels/tires, *shops labor*)

Gotta couple questions, though:

I have spec'd a lot of parts and priced out individually as well as looked at power packages like this:

http://www.scoobytuner.com/images.original/283.jpg

This package seems to be a nice stage kit at a pretty good savings compared to buying the parts individually. Based on what I"ve checked out, these parts seem to be pretty decent pieces. What do guys think?

Should I be worried about reliability/compatibility/death in buying a package v. 1/1/1??

What are some good general upgrades to "beefing" up the car? Eg; ground wires, engine/tranny mounts, air filters?

I am very eager to upgrade brakes/suspension also, but that seems to be a clearer picture. Essentially, instead of buying a new car and spending ~$20,000, I am hoping to spend something like that on a LegGT that will be a bitchin' sleeper. :twisted:
I live in Boise, ID where hills and mountains are abound, and driving a Subie fast seems to thrill me beyond belief.

Also, recommed WHERE to get ej20t used?? or new!!!??

Thanks guys--

sheepdog
03-02-2006, 10:14 AM
You can get EJ20ts fairly easily, I got my EJ20G on ebay. I got a front clip, which was convenient because it came with all the engine accessories, trans, brakes, rear diff, rear brakes, etc. Also, watch the for sale sections of nasioc, guys seem to always be parting out WRXs, and the nice thing there is you can get parts for USDM EJ20ts pretty easy.

If you upgrade to WRX brakes, we have a pretty sweet brake kit that I have put through its paces thoroughly and been entirely pleased with. Check the website.

I am a personal fan of the TurboXS stage kits, although soon enough we are gonna have stage kits at TSF for the WRX. We can get all the stuff, we just need to package it together and make maps for them. Our WRX topmount is a nice upgrade, you can definitely feel the difference and it doesnt give you the lag you can get with a frontmount with the stock turbo.

Reliability doesnt really become an issue until you get up into Stage 3-4 ish, and even then if you make sure you get a good tune you shouldnt have any issues at all.

Ground wires are nice, but don't bother paying a buttload for em the ebay ones work the same from my experience. Ask Wisconmark about that, he made his own! A good reliability mod is a fuel pump, injectors, and maybe a Perrin fuel rail. I prefer peace of mind than being on the brink of leaning out that 3rd cylinder lol.

A set of coilovers woudl be cool too, however everyone here seems to shy away from them, as most cars here are comfortable daily drivers. I like coilovers lol.

Let me know if that answered your questions!

Wiscon_Mark
03-02-2006, 11:19 AM
well, I don't know much about the kits, but the first thing most REX owners do, is buy Engine Management (such as the Perfect Power ECU @ Rallitek) where they can map out different fuel maps for racing, economy drivng, 91 octane versus 100 octane, etc. Then most of them get new uppipe & downpipes so their turbo spools up more efficiently, possibly new exhaust and intake along with that. Then they can start opening up the ballgame with a bigger turbo / more efficient turbo. I don't know what "stage" that would be really, it depends on the manufacturer who makes these kits.

That being said, cobb makes some excellent stuff, and you can find a few kits on www.boxer4racing.com (http://www.boxer4racing.com). :)

But really, before you go nuts with this, you want the car to be able to handle and brake well enough to compensate for the power you're putting down to the wheels. Nice set of rubber is a good place to start in the handling dept.

sheepdog
03-02-2006, 11:32 AM
well, I don't know much about the kits, but the first thing most REX owners do, is buy Engine Management (such as the Perfect Power ECU @ Rallitek) where they can map out different fuel maps for racing, economy drivng, 91 octane versus 100 octane, etc. Then most of them get new uppipe & downpipes so their turbo spools up more efficiently, possibly new exhaust and intake along with that. Then they can start opening up the ballgame with a bigger turbo / more efficient turbo. I don't know what "stage" that would be really, it depends on the manufacturer who makes these kits.

That being said, cobb makes some excellent stuff, and you can find a few kits on www.boxer4racing.com (http://www.boxer4racing.com). :)

But really, before you go nuts with this, you want the car to be able to handle and brake well enough to compensate for the power you're putting down to the wheels. Nice set of rubber is a good place to start in the handling dept.

WRX guys usually run Cobb engine management or TurboXS utec. I have dealt with UTEC pretty much since it came out, and I love it.

As mark said, upgrade the uppipe while the engine is out of the car. You'll want to do it eventually and its a BIOTCH to do later haha.