PDA

View Full Version : Keyless entry

Sarra
03-04-2006, 04:26 PM
The stock remote for my car doesn't work very well anymore, and I'd like to replace it. Will a keyless remote from a 2003 Outback or newer subaru work with my 2000 BE?

shazapple
03-05-2006, 12:35 AM
new battery?

Huffer
03-05-2006, 02:14 PM
You have to match the FCC codes on the back of the remote.

I picked up a replacement for my BD from an ebay merchant "Keyless Rides" (i think that's the correct spelling). My remote was about 25% less than dealer retail and it works just the same.

I had to reprogram the remote, but other than that, sweet as.

The other bonus, is that the keyless ride remote is HALF the thickness of the stock one.

Wiscon_Mark
03-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Huffer, how easy is the programming?

Huffer
03-06-2006, 10:47 AM
It's a piece of cake - you just turn the key on, press the programming button in (its under the steering column near the fusebox) and press the lock button on the remote.

Presto, done.

I had more trouble finding the programming button than anything else. :lol:

Also, Subaru's web staff (subaru.com) are really good at helping out, if you're clear with your requirements. I emailed them and they mailed me out a full, original remote locking programming instruction set.

jakmobile
04-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Ok, I got robbed and purchased a key fob from a local dealership that didn't come with any instructions. I found the brain for the keyless entry under the dash, however I'm not exactly sure what the program button looks like. I did find a button that's not on the brain itself, rather its connected off the side of it. I tried the methods you have listed above, but no dice. Any other suggestions?

Huffer
04-03-2006, 11:58 AM
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2005/10/051011_KeylessEntrySystem2-1.jpg

black button in the above pic is the "donut" looking thing next to "AC..."

blueb3
04-03-2006, 12:29 PM
Is it possible to add keyless to a car that doesn't have it? If so how hard is it? Sorry to jack the thread.

jakmobile
04-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Do you have to hold any of the buttons down?

jakmobile
04-03-2006, 01:27 PM
My button is not in the same location as yours. I found that there was a fuse missing from the brain. I put a 20 amp fuse in there, and now when I hold down that button, approx 20-30 seconds the doors lock/unlock. I've tried holding the lock button down on the Subaru OEM remote but it doesn't seem to be working. Any other idea's?

Huffer
04-03-2006, 02:05 PM
email the folks at mysubaru.com - ask them if they can email you the instructions for the keyless remote programming. They did for me.

It's likely the procedure is slightly incorrect.

blueb3
04-03-2006, 02:08 PM
How much does the dealer charge? Then ask them if you can watch so you don't have to pay them if you need to do it again. :D

jakmobile
04-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Dealer said it would take them 30-45 minutes to do it. But the guy at the parts counter said they had to use some type of scanner in order to get it programmed correctly. I found this hard to believe so I just passed on the offer.

Sidenote, does anyone have the part # for the plastic panel that snaps into where the intake silencer used to be?

Huffer
04-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Dealer said it would take them 30-45 minutes to do it. But the guy at the parts counter said they had to use some type of scanner in order to get it programmed correctly. I found this hard to believe so I just passed on the offer.

Sidenote, does anyone have the part # for the plastic panel that snaps into where the intake silencer used to be?

That pretty much means they don't know... they haven't looked up the service manual.

The pre-2000 remotes aren't rolling code remotes... they don't have to be programmed to the immobilization module...

blueb3
04-03-2006, 03:39 PM

the part # is 46059fa000

jakmobile
04-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Well the remote that I purhased looks like the one that came with my 03 REX. Wonder if this is why I can't get them to sink up.

jakmobile
04-04-2006, 11:50 PM
Did some further research and found that the remote that is used post 01 is made by Alpine while the one I need is made by someone else. It appears as if the two are not compatible. I swear, Paul Brothers Subaru in Herdon is the worst dealership evAr.

GrassyKnoll
04-08-2006, 01:33 PM
There is actually another way to program new remotes that worked for me:

1. Unlock all doors. Cycle key quickly but carefully on-off appr 10 times until the car honks one time.
Do not turn the key far enough to start the car, just to the 'on' position so the dashboard lights up.

2. When the horn honks, open and close the driver's door, press any remote button and that's it.
Program another remote? Quickly open and close the driver's door again and push a button on the 2nd remote. That's it.

3. When you're done, remove the key and the horn should honk 3 times. You're all set.
Sometime it takes more than 10 on-offs to set program mode. Open/close the door, lock/unlock etc, wait 10 minutes, then try again.