PDA

View Full Version : magnets?

Tokio
03-06-2006, 09:29 AM
we've all seen the "magnts on the fuel lines" gimmick... so i got bored and decided to toy with them...

i tested this out on a '77 Chevy, not a subie...because it was convienent at the time....but subie tests are in the works:

before magnets:
-710 ppm (parts per million) of hydrocarbons (unburnt fuel...what makes exhaust stink...and fail emissions)
-160 miles per 16 gallon tank of 89 octane gas w/ lead additive

after magnets attached:
-500 ppm of hydrocarbons

after tweaking:
-250 ppm !!! (thats a whole lot better)
-220 miles on a half tank so far...

**how can we benifit from this?
-unfortunately, our cars are mostly obd2 and results wont be as good simply because the computer will try to compensate for whatever emissions modifiations by altering the air/fuel mix... however, fuel economy will improve. we wont know for sure until ive toyed with it a bit.

http://www.fut.es/~sje/mag_fuel.htm

Wiscon_Mark
03-09-2006, 11:16 PM
This is really interesting Tokio.

Just one question,

are you worried about the magnet building up junk in the fuel lines at all?

Plays_with_Toys
03-10-2006, 12:07 AM
Wow! Thats crazy! Thats 1/3 less. Please let us know about the legacy results.

Reason
03-10-2006, 05:04 AM
The magnets are said to break up fuel clusters for a more complete and clean burn.

Tokio
03-10-2006, 10:09 AM
The magnets are said to break up fuel clusters for a more complete and clean burn.

exactly, and im just waiting to go through a whole tank to post my results.

the only problem ive found so far is making sure the magnets are shielded well enough so that they dont interfere with other systems.

as far as the truck goes...about 300 miles to a tank is what i found... and the emissions are consistently staying at around 250 ppm.

Tokio
03-10-2006, 10:11 AM
i dont know if this was explained properly in the attached site, but the magnets also cause an increased vortex effect on the fuel as it flows past that also causes a more efficiently spaced out air/fuel mix the helps have a more even burn.

Sarra
03-11-2006, 05:40 AM
If they didn't have a link to the tornado fuel saver, then I might give them more credit. =\

gil_ong81
03-11-2006, 09:44 AM
:subscribe:

here's another "gadget", and since it's nastycock, of course i don't get ONE serious reply.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892055

yes yes. one of the BIG selling points is that it removes dependency on leaded gas or additives. but look beyond that.

such items are extremely popular in Singapore cos of the high price of gas. some people swear by it, and some think it's a load. the curious thing is that the people who swear by it are the ones who HAVE used it, and the ones who scream "BOGUS" and "SCAM" have never tired it at all.

my personal experience is with my mother’s Mitsu 1.6L Lancer MIVEC (don't remember what year). She had one installed inline with her fuel line. used it for about 4 years. when it came time to sell the car, she had it taken off. the car would barely idle with out it. seems like it does SOMETHING to the fuel.

BTW Tokio, how are you measuring the hydrocarbons?

Tokio
04-17-2006, 11:09 AM
im using 2 different gas analyzers...

1.) a dinosaur from mid-90's

and 2.) brand-new gas analyzer for use with the genysis.

Plays_with_Toys
04-17-2006, 12:56 PM
What ever was the results on the legacy? I had forgotten you were trying this.

Tokio
03-15-2008, 10:35 AM
wow, i completely forgot about this thread... THIS is why you should do a search for your username from time to time.

anyway... before i ever did anything to the car, i ran the analyzers to see what was what. it was the culmination of several arguments with my boss at the time.

anyway... warmed up, stock 98 ej25d with 60k miles:

worst i could get was... 4 ppm.

four.

that includes hitting the rev limiter, playing around, and redoing the test several times... over the course of an hour or so.

so i never went ahead with the magnets. instead i started playing with xylene and acetone and mothballs and 2-stroke oil. 3 tanks per test, all performed over the course of the last 4 years.

-3 ounces of xylene per tank of gas = the shit. really. better performance, 3-5 more mpg.
-3 ounces of acetone per tank = meh, a nicer idle, but thats about it.
-a wee bit of ol' 2 stroke oil in the legacy showed no results. 2 stroke oil in a 67 ford pickup however, showed performance and better fuel mileage.

3-5 mothballs in a tank is supposed to raise the octane 1 full point. i didnt notice anything at all. not that anyone would on a stock motor.