PDA

View Full Version : no swaybar for me?

belladonna
03-08-2006, 05:43 PM
okay...so evidentally my car doesn't have the provisions to mount a swaybar. it doesn't seem to have the mounting points for either the endlinks or the frame mount bushings or whatever you call them.
how different is the bc chassis from the bd chassis? do the 1st gen legacy swaybars attach to the spindle? or should i pick up some control arms off a turbo leg?

The Speed Factor
03-08-2006, 05:51 PM
I seem to recall hearing that GC impreza stuff will bolt up to 1st gen legs. Might wanna verify that but that would make your life easier

slip
03-08-2006, 08:33 PM
ask around on legacycentral.org

I don't think too many BD components are compatable with the BC though

Legacy-Version94
03-09-2006, 08:00 AM
okay...so evidentally my car doesn't have the provisions to mount a swaybar. it doesn't seem to have the mounting points for either the endlinks or the frame mount bushings or whatever you call them.
how different is the bc chassis from the bd chassis? do the 1st gen legacy swaybars attach to the spindle? or should i pick up some control arms off a turbo leg?
i noticed the same thing when i was going to try and see if my stock WRX RSB would fit.... but it didnt because i have no where to mount the swaybar!! :(

shazapple
03-09-2006, 10:02 AM
Find a junked turbo legacy and steal its mounts?

belladonna
03-09-2006, 11:12 AM
the mounts are part of the control arm :?

strat81
03-09-2006, 12:39 PM
finding a junked turbo legacy is like finding a needle in a haystack...

we found on the bd/bg/bk that the endlink mounts are on the rearward control arms. not sure if the bc/bf have the same setup or not. any idea if the bc has the same length control arms as the bd/bg? if so, we could nab the rear control arms off the outback we saw at the junkyard. we'd still need to figure out how to mount the frame/D mount bushings onto the car though.

any of the turbo leg guys feel like climbing under the rear end and snapping a few pics?

legacy92ej22t
03-09-2006, 02:48 PM
I think you can do it, it's just that you need the lateral links, endlinks ect.. to make it work. I'll try and snap a pic asap......which might be tomorrow.

scottzg
03-09-2006, 04:13 PM
i think i might be responsible for this thread. go me

ok, 90-91 legacies have a bar, as do all ls, lsi, and turbo models. the 90-92 (maybe only 90-91) cars have different lateral links and droplinks rather than endlinks as the later cars (incl. wrx) have. I have a picture, but my photo gallery is down. I like the droplinks more, myself, as you can adjust the bar's preload and stiffness with washers, and they're already metal.

Anyway, you can take lateral links and chassis mounts off of any gc or bd (and associated models) and bolt them up to your car. You can use the swaybar off the gc, but you'll need to sawzall or bend a piece of metal out of the way. Really, it's not that important since the 1g legacy 16mm bar is better than any commonly available gc bar. Oh, that bit about bending shit is also true about every bd bar, save the 18mm outback one, which is identical to the turbo bar.

Another alternative is to get the chassis mounts, and there are endlinks available in the aftermarket (for ~150$ iirc) that mount to your hubs and are adjustable for preload. This might be the easier way to go since lateral links can be pricey at a JY and you won't have to get your toe realigned after installation.

have fun

belladonna
03-09-2006, 06:11 PM
thanks for all that info. i'd love to see some pix of what i should be looking for...yeah, the whole start of this was i picked up an outback swaybar at the junkyard the other day and when we took a look under my car, well, y'all know the rest...

scottzg
03-09-2006, 06:50 PM
found it.
http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album72/written_up.jpg
this is my '90

http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album72/MVC_398F.jpg
this is a 95 impreza 1.8, which is the same as the later swaybarless legacies. The swaybar equipped cars
have that bracket welded on to the middle of the lateral link.

strat81
03-09-2006, 08:06 PM
her 93 doesn't have a factory sway bar though... there don't seem to be any provisions on her car as it sits right now to bolt up a rsb.

as she said, we picked up a 99 outback bar for her car but currently, have no way to mount it. if she picks up the outback lateral links with the welded brackets on it, will there be a problem with them being too long (as cars101 lists the bd/bg/bk chassis as 1" wider than the bc/bf)??

what about where the bar mounts to the chassis itself (not the lateral links)? we have the brackets from the outback and the d-bushing/ d-bushing brackets but there doesn't seem to be a place to mount them to the chassis of the car.

scottzg
03-09-2006, 08:37 PM
for the chassis, you have to have not just that C shaped bar clampy thing, but also the part that that thing is mounted to (you can see half of it in the pic of my car). That is what actually attaches the bar to the chassis. It's possible the holes for that are hidden by underbody goo, but it's there. Many people have done this on the bbs, although i have not.

It's possible that ob lat links are longer, they rearranged a bit of suspension geometry on those things, but the lateral links are the same on the bd- it's only a reskin of the bf. (the wider chassis is probably just because the doors are more curved.) Of course, imho this is your worst option anyway, as getting bc lat links provides you with a lot more tunability and better endlinks(droplinks), and hub-mounted endlinks would be easier and about the same price, all told.

strat81
03-09-2006, 08:56 PM
we have the actual brackets in addition to the c-clampy brackets that hold the bar to the frame brackets so that's not a problem. we'll have to check for the holes.

as for the endlinks, we already have the c-shaped endlinks from the outback. She's not too worried about preloading the bar... just looking for better handling from a rear sway bar that she doesn't have and an easy way to put it on the car. if the bd/bg lateral links are the same length, then that seems like it would be the best/easiest bet for her. perhaps i'm misunderstanding you though.

scottzg
03-10-2006, 01:42 AM
you DO understand that you have to spend the 60$ or whatever it is to align the car after you replace the lat links, whereas you dont with the aftermarket endlinks, right? Shrug. Plastic endlinks suck; they flex. BC/BF lateral links would work from a post facelift car that had a sway bar, or you could use impreza links.

belladonna
03-10-2006, 10:02 AM
i don't have aftermarket endlinks right now. i just wanted to be able to bolt up the outback rsb and try it out for a bit until i could get something else.

this is what i have...the top bar is from a 97 leg. wagon and the bottom is off a 99 outback...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/InvernessShadow/swaybars.jpg

belladonna
03-10-2006, 05:19 PM
how do the aftermarket endlinks mount to the car? i don't understand if the car doesn't have provisions to mount the endlinks currently, how spending money on endlinks will solve anything...

scottzg
03-11-2006, 01:14 AM
they make hub mounted endlinks. Poltec and whiteline, and probably others. If you get them, you dont have to replace your lateral links, and you dont have to get an alignment. Didn't i already say that?

belladonna
03-11-2006, 08:44 AM
there are many different types of endlinks. perhaps specification would have been nice :wink:

i'll look into the hub mounted endlinks though and explore the possibility of switching lat links

thanks for the help

Wiscon_Mark
03-11-2006, 09:11 AM
Sounds like this modification is becoming a lot of trouble, and not so inexpensive either, Jess :?