PDA

View Full Version : Rims & tire size question

Strakes
05-20-2005, 01:32 PM
Got a 2002 Legacy GT Wagon. Looking at buying a set of aftermarket rims and they are 17 X 7 with a 50mm offset. What tire size should I run?

215 45R 17
225 45R 17
215 50R 17

I really don't want to run a 205 width tire. Any suggestions or concerns? What sizes will rub against the suspension or fender?
Thanks in advance!

Tris_STi
05-20-2005, 02:15 PM
Depending on the brand of tire, 225s might be a bit wide, and could possibly rub. However, I'm not so keen on the fender width on the Outback, what, with its extra ground-clearance and all..

Do you have issues with running a 215 with low wall? What will you mainly use the car for?

Pwise2326
05-20-2005, 07:42 PM
You're looking to get rims for the BH (GT wagon) right? The BH's do have a little more fender room, but 225's are a little overkill for 7" wheels, the 215/45/R17 should suit you just fine, you shouldn't have any rubbing issues as the tires aren't crazy and the wheel offset is just right! What kind of tires are you looking to run? If you want a higher performing all-season, Pirelli has the P-Zero Nero M+S's, which you can get from a lot of the tire websites or local shops for around 100bucks a tire (give or take 20 bucks), they had one of the best ratings on tirerack.com and some of the magazines comparo's I've read, my brother just got a set for his '02 RS, had a chance to take it out and heat them up a bit, and I was quite impressed (although his auto tranny didn't cut it for me at all), I haven't seen them in snow yet though, but that doesnt seem like it'd be much of an issue for you!

Strakes
05-21-2005, 09:19 AM
It's a daily commuter, errand running car...the BH GT Wagon. But, I have an addiction to curves. I was leaning toward 215/45R17s, but a few tire places said their books recommended a 205/50R17. But before I shelled out the dough, I wanted a second opinion. I'm running stock 205/55R16s and with the ipd sway bar in the rear, the car has too narrow a tire IMHO. So I was hoping to go wider.

I've been looking at KUMHO ASXs, Yoko Avid H4s and the Pirelli P-Zeros.

Pwise2326
05-21-2005, 10:01 AM
215 is the way to go, figure the range for 215 is between 7-7.5" wide wheels, so it would be perfect. I agree with you on the 205's, I just wish I had the funds to replace my wheels with something a little wider so I can get something with a lower profile with less bounce (I upgraded my suspension, the 55wall tires are absorbing more shock than they should be giving me a little bounce here and there on really rough roads. What wheels are you going to be getting?

Strakes
05-21-2005, 03:58 PM
Wanted a clean design...preferably lightweight without breaking the bank.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/DisplayW ... er+Painted (http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/DisplayWheel.jsp?wheelMake=Sport+Edition&wheelModel=D5&wheelFinish=Silver+Painted)

If I had the moolah, I'd love to get the SSR Competition in Anthracite.

Dark Anghell
05-23-2005, 01:19 AM
I'm running 225 on an OB with stock 16" wheels...so they can't be wider than 6.5"...they suck so much, great for snow but slide all over the place in tighter turns at higher speeds. What series are you running? If they are really low profile, then 215 is the way to go. Just get some fairly sticky tires to make up for the width difference.

Pwise2326
05-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Anghell - I woulda thought it would be the other way around...usually thinner tires are better in snow, and wider tires are great for corners and pavement - larger contact patch (and numerous other factors) = better grip.

Tris_STi
05-23-2005, 03:11 PM
Correct. Watch Ice Racing, and you'll see that alot of the cars, (mostly subies) would be running tires about as thin as the donut, if it weren't already THE Donut!
DarkAnghell, you're not running the RE-92s are you?

Dark Anghell
05-23-2005, 04:42 PM
no no no :D you guys misunderstood me...obviously thinner tires will cut through snow better. it's just that the tread pattern of tires on my car is designed more for the snow than for the dry or wet weather. I tried to slide around few corners while in the snow, but the car just would not do it, but if i go a little too fast on wet pavement, and turn in too sharp, the car begins to understeer and slide to the side.

The tires i have on my car are Nokian something something...they look like truck tires only a bit smaller :-D

Pwise2326
05-24-2005, 12:54 AM
Which ones? I've heard that Nokian's are some of the best street tires out there...not a huge name like pirelli or hankook or anything yet, but they beat out most of them as far as dry/wet grip. You must have the snow tires if they look like they belong on a truck...the ones I saw looked like they belonged on my Legacy in the summertime...or a race car, but I can dream can't I.

Tris_STi
05-24-2005, 12:48 PM
Hakkapolitas?

Strakes
06-02-2005, 10:35 AM
Just got them last weekend. I went with the Kumho ASX 215/45R17 cause they were a whole lot cheaper and had a better warranty. My wife who doesn't notice wheels said that the wheels look really nice. The handling is excellent. Thanks for the advice everyone! The tires and wheels have no clearance issues and I love the way the lower profile and wider wheel/tire affect the ride and handling and look.

Tris_STi
06-02-2005, 01:03 PM
Great! So to recoup your losses, you'll sell me your GT wheels, right?

Strakes
06-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Um...I already sold those to Reason. I had a set of WRX rims on my car, but my wife is now apparently liking them a lot on her 1993 Legacy.