PDA

View Full Version : new addition from PA

losdiosdeverde86
03-13-2006, 12:57 AM
hey all.

i come from www.ultimatesubaru.net (http://www.ultimatesubaru.net) and thought i'd give this forum a go too, being that it's legacy specific.

personal:
I'm 21 (7/28/84) i got married on november 19th 2005 to sarah after being together for 6 years prior. i have a son, he's 9 months old on march 16th (son's birthday - marriage anniversary = ...you do the math). i'm a senior at LaRoche college in Pittsburgh PA for Graphic Design, and i recently quit my job (that i loved) at a private Good Year shop so i could stay home and be Mr. Mom while my wife is off being a career woman.

Car:
'96 Legacy LS
about 120k miles
Outback struts
Thrush glasspack
205/75r15 Trailmark Radial AP's
FIIAM 118db airhorns (thinking about hella rally horns)
2 hella 500's bumper mounted
switch operated anntenae
awd to 4wd switch (dutyC power switch)

...and i think that's about it, as far as i can remember...

my first impressions of the site so far:
seems responses are kinda slow (not a whole lot of constant activity)
seems there's about 15 or so REGULAR people that post often
the thread topics are SUPER specific which makes it hard to just cruise around
but all in all, i think i'll enjoy it here, it's very different from USMB, but i'll get used to it i think.

lotsa rice too...

dropdfocus
03-13-2006, 08:16 AM
Welcome!! We're glad to add you to our ever growing PA list of members. It's cool to see a guy willing to stay home with the kid. I want to do that when I get my degree in Web Design.

legacy92ej22t
03-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Welcome!

Mmmm, fried rice taste good. ;)

belladonna
03-13-2006, 09:01 AM
welcome to sl-i :-) i'm sure you'll get used to everything being so "specific" soon. it's actually very handy

Reason
03-13-2006, 09:38 AM
welcome to sl-i :-) i'm sure you'll get used to everything being so "specific" soon. it's actually very handy

It's easier to find what you are looking for than a bunch of crap in one place. Besides a few bugs the php has and a few tweaks here and there, I think this is one of the better Subaru forums (not saying best). Welcome to SL-I, I don't want to call anyone out but I'm curious about the rice you mentioned.

losdiosdeverde86
03-13-2006, 09:43 AM

It's easier to find what you are looking for than a bunch of crap in one place. Besides a few bugs the php has and a few tweaks here and there, I think this is one of the better Subaru forums (not saying best). Welcome to SL-I, I don't want to call anyone out but I'm curious about the rice you mentioned.

ok, lemme find what i had in mind with that comment.

losdiosdeverde86
03-13-2006, 09:46 AM
the main thing i had in mind when i typed that was bgwagon's read wing.

come on now.. i'm not one to bash on people's cars, but that thing's a rice as they come. the rest of the car is sweet. nice gold accents nice bright white, the CF fits well, but that wing is rediculous.

Reason
03-13-2006, 09:56 AM
I wasn't implying that you were bashing on anybody's car. I was just curious about your opinions. We all have our opinions on each others cars.

losdiosdeverde86
03-13-2006, 10:03 AM
I wasn't implying that you were bashing on anybody's car. I was just curious about your opinions. We all have our opinions on each others cars.

yeah, no, i'm not bashing on the car, i'm just bashing on that one piece of the car. i don't like bashing cars, to each his own, what makes them happy is what makes them happy.

all in all, it's a whole different breed here than at USMB. there, it's mostly people doing technical upgrades from dragers to offroad rigs. outside cosmetic appeal is rarely talked about. there, it's function over form, here it seems to be more form over function.

i do, indeed, really like a lot of the cars here, it just seems that this site is more geared toward rally, autox, and drag.

USMB is MOSTLY a repair/questions site. extremely informative.

belladonna
03-13-2006, 11:27 AM
actually if you look at most of the cars here, they're more performance oriented than visual oriented :?

legacy92ej22t
03-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Hahaha, my car is actually all go and no show. 8)

losdiosdeverde86
03-13-2006, 12:50 PM
actually if you look at most of the cars here, they're more performance oriented than visual oriented :?

that's entirely possible. i've only done so much lookin around

Huffer
03-13-2006, 03:11 PM
I'm offended at the rice comment. :twisted:

PS. Welcome. Nice mods to the car, maybe you have some DIY writeups lying around?

losdiosdeverde86
03-13-2006, 03:45 PM
I'm offended at the rice comment. :twisted:

PS. Welcome. Nice mods to the car, maybe you have some DIY writeups lying around?

all my DIY writeups are stored safely in my dome.. err head

Legacy-Version94
03-13-2006, 04:38 PM
welcome to the club!! maybe now we will have 16 regulars?! :lol: :lol:

losdiosdeverde86
03-13-2006, 05:18 PM
welcome to the club!! maybe now we will have 16 regulars?! :lol: :lol:

very likely

Wiscon_Mark
03-13-2006, 07:12 PM
lotsa rice too...

hmmm....

$.02 coming up here...

First of all, I really don't think you should be calling out rice when you have a glasspack on your sedan.

Second of all, "lotsa" seems to be talking about more than BGWagon's spoiler. I will agree though, I HATE that spoiler :shock:

Third, we're a very anti-rice site, honestly. Most of us enjoy a nice, clean look, but you can tell that we have many more posts in the engine/drivetrain section than the body/cosmetics, and the body cosmetics section is mostly about repairs.

Now that I'm done hammering on the new guy (:lol:)

Welcome to our site! I really hope you like it and stick around :)

And don't worry about the rice thing, it was more for my benefit (venting) than trying to take it out on you. That's just the one thing that tweaks me :D

I will agree about the response timing, which is why we need more active members. Sometimes a thread is worked over good within an hour, sometimes we don't have a knowledgeble person on the subject who is a regular and it'll sit for a few days because we don't want to guess :?

I try my best to keep things moving though :lol: (many will chuckle at this, and agree :D)

oh, and sweet lift on your LS :twisted:

losdiosdeverde86
03-13-2006, 07:26 PM
lotsa rice too...

First of all, I really don't think you should be calling out rice when you have a glasspack on your sedan.

ok, i figured i'd get some backlash for that comment.

as for the glasspack, i'll show a picture of it when i find it. i did it STRICTLY to increase flow and to get rid of one more low point. i did NOT do it for looks or show. once i get the picture up you'll see that i even put the subaru exhaust tip back on to make it look factory.

Wiscon_Mark
03-13-2006, 07:29 PM
I believe you, just pointing out that you shouldn't be quick to judge ;)

losdiosdeverde86
03-13-2006, 07:31 PM
I believe you, just pointing out that you shouldn't be quick to judge ;)

you'll find it's rare for me to make comments like that. i'm normally VERY supportive of people doing things to their cars that make then happy.

Wiscon_Mark
03-13-2006, 07:33 PM
no problem man, I don't want you to feel like we got off on the wrong foot, though :)

Where in PA? Were you close to the meet that just happened?

dropdfocus
03-13-2006, 07:41 PM
a senior at LaRoche college in Pittsburgh PA for Graphic Design

Wiscon_Mark
03-13-2006, 07:45 PM
:oops: :oops: :lol: :oops:

*slaps self on forehead*

dropdfocus
03-13-2006, 07:53 PM
Sorry Mark, but it was out in the open to read in his first post... :P

losdiosdeverde86
03-13-2006, 09:23 PM
Sorry Mark, but it was out in the open to read in his first post... :P

yeah thanks. you got my back.

Wiscon_Mark
03-13-2006, 09:24 PM
oh are we fighting? :smt072

:D

dropdfocus
03-13-2006, 09:47 PM
Don't make me go Rocky Balboa on your butt Mark! :lol: :roll: :-D

losdiosdeverde86
03-14-2006, 10:09 AM
lotsa rice too...

ok, i figured i'd get some backlash for that comment.

as for the glasspack, i'll show a picture of it when i find it. i did it STRICTLY to increase flow and to get rid of one more low point. i did NOT do it for looks or show. once i get the picture up you'll see that i even put the subaru exhaust tip back on to make it look factory.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/losdiosdeverde86/glasspack2.jpg

losdiosdeverde86
03-14-2006, 10:11 AM
so there you have it. NOT for looks. NOT for the increased rice-titude.

and notice the Subaru tip on the end

Reason
03-14-2006, 04:29 PM
So it's a bad thing to want your car to look good? Is that your definition of rice? Or is rice just the eye of the beholder?

losdiosdeverde86
03-14-2006, 05:13 PM
So it's a bad thing to want your car to look good? Is that your definition of rice? Or is rice just the eye of the beholder?

hmm...very interesting question..

i think that you "know" "rice" when you see "rice". rice, i don't think, only lies within the exterior of the car. i believe that rice is also within the driver.

rice, along with visual appearance, is an attitude; which i believe, is a bad attitude.

gil_ong81
03-14-2006, 05:57 PM
rice, along with visual appearance, is an attitude; which i believe, is a bad attitude.
agreed. there are some that are just outrigth rice.

but it's also pretty presumptious to label something/anything "rice" without first understanding its context.

Wiscon_Mark
03-14-2006, 06:19 PM
I had a person call my stock wagon "rice" before :roll:

He thought it applied to all Japanese cars... :lol:

Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements...that's my definition.

EXP1787
03-14-2006, 06:50 PM
but it's also pretty presumptious to label something/anything "rice" without first understanding its context.
So true. I had this conversation with a friend/coworker a couple of days ago about this. I have a big Magnaflow grapefruit shooter on my Legacy wagon. Why? When I got the car, it had NO cat-back. None. It was rediculously loud. A good friend of mine totalled his Nissan Altima H-Stock autocross car. He owed me some money for parts. Well, he doesn't like debt, and I don't like lacking exhaust. The rest is history. It sounds great, to boot.

losdiosdeverde86
03-14-2006, 09:34 PM
to avoid further controversy and to stay liked within this forum, i retract my rice statement

Wiscon_Mark
03-14-2006, 09:36 PM
to avoid further controversy and to stay liked within this forum, i retract my rice statement

:lol: don't worry about it man, it's not a heated conversation by any means, we're just talking about the definition of rice.

EXP1787 is a ricer! ;)

losdiosdeverde86
03-14-2006, 09:37 PM
yeah, i know. i just think it's early in my membership (low posting #'s) to be stirring up trouble.

as we all know, the larger the post number the more seniority/respect.

Wiscon_Mark
03-14-2006, 09:39 PM
not really :smt043

oh, and about "member #s" and such, we're not like Nasioc, and we don't flame and harass/haze n00bs, or anything like that. don't worry about it.

strat81
03-14-2006, 09:43 PM
mark... technically, the term "rice" goes back to the 80's where japanese vehicles were called ricebuners. they burn rice instead of gas hence why they got such good mileage compared to american products. my dad used to call the Jap bikes he raced against rice burners (he used to run enduro's when i was younger)

more recently, rice/ricer/rice burner has been used to classify anything that is modded distastefully or if the owner thinks he's the fastest thing ever with a wing and a set of altezza's. personally, my dad still considers my cavalier a rice burner... it's a 4 banger and when he was a kid, all his rides were v8's.

this concludes our history lesson for the day. :lol:

Wiscon_Mark
03-14-2006, 09:45 PM
yeah, I realize that, but I consider the modern definition to be closer to what I posted.

losdiosdeverde86
03-14-2006, 09:56 PM

oh, and about "member #s" and such, we're not like Nasioc, and we don't flame and harass/haze n00bs, or anything like that. don't worry about it.

it's a subconcious thing. people are going to be more weary of what i say than what you say. it's human nature.

Reason
03-15-2006, 04:14 AM

That's not true, Mark has the most post and I clown on him all the time. It's all in good fun. You can have 5 post or 500 you say something someone doesn't like you are going to hear it. And then there are some people who are just disrespectful, but we will keep that under wraps :-X