PDA

View Full Version : Brand New looking engine?

MRLancaster
03-28-2011, 12:57 PM
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2011/03/189088_1556972655309_1565010094_31143985-1.jpg

If your wanting a brand new looking motor. Go to wallmart or any shopping store. Look for Simple Green. Spray it on the motor, let it sit. Then spray the motor off with a hose. Then wipe it down. Repeat the process again, or until your motor is to your liking. My motor looked horrid before. And now I keep it spotless. :D Just a simple little thing to make your legacy look brandnew. :smt023

It may take several cleanings to get it spotless. but def worth it IMO

httrdd
03-28-2011, 01:19 PM
What did you disconnect/cover before the spray down?

MRLancaster
03-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Lol nothing :lol:

Ive taken the legacy through several creeks and rivers...so wasn't worried about a spray from a hose.

bulldozer24
03-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Just avoid spraying water directly onto the alternator.

02_Legacy
03-28-2011, 03:26 PM
I have done this, but I always leave the hood open in direct sunlight after I finish to let it dry, that way you don't have to worry about the water causing a short when you turn your car on.

ubar legacy
03-28-2011, 07:58 PM
Tire shine looks good on rubber/plastic pieces too

bulldozer24
03-28-2011, 08:03 PM
a pressure washer is always helpful too

d1giPhux
03-28-2011, 08:53 PM
+1 on not running the car right after the wash if you dont cover the alternator. Use tin foil to cover anything you don't want to get wet. works great!

MRLancaster
03-28-2011, 11:22 PM
a pressure washer is always helpful too

Now thats scary sounding.....Id be too scared to try that

chuckthefuk
03-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Its funny though everytime I have ever pressure washed an engine bay everyone (mechanics) always told me to have the car running and try to avoid the alternator. Apparently its better to see the alternator arc as its being washed then cranking after the wash and having electrical gremlins..

But if your paranoid a zip lock bag covering the alternator works just fine.

+1 on the Simple Green this stuff works better then store bought engine shampoo.

-Chuck

aznguy0087
03-30-2011, 09:53 AM
water hose, old wash mit amd some wheel acid cleans my engine bay right up. and i also blow dry the engine bay afterwards so theres no standing water leftover. works with my car and customers too :)

csweston
04-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Wow, just picked up some simple green max (it was cheaper then just simple green?). This stuff is great! No scrubbing or anything and everything looks like new!

ubar legacy
04-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Took out my ac the other day, and behind it was nastyness.... So I picked some up tonight! Ill do it tommorow hopefully

Subieee
04-13-2011, 03:32 PM
I'm so doing this lol

BG5guy
04-13-2011, 03:37 PM
its called a steam clean, with the car running spray it with degreaser, simple grean, whatever then spray it down, the heat from the motor creates steam which will disolve the crud, after you run it for 10 mins or drive around spray it down again. Almost every dealership detail shop does this to make motors look clean

BG5guy
04-13-2011, 03:39 PM
water hose, old wash mit amd some wheel acid cleans my engine bay right up. and i also blow dry the engine bay afterwards so theres no standing water leftover. works with my car and customers too :)

id be carefull with the tire acid, it does work as long as you make sure you clean it all off. I have seen many cars with hoses and lines destroyed because the acid ate threw them, it does work, just be cautious

bobbyjimmy
04-13-2011, 09:13 PM
I wash down my engine every time I wash the car using a pressure washer (not a little nancy boy pressure washer either) and spray the sh!t out the engine and everything else around it - including the alternator.
The only that's ever gone wrong is the external alarm siren made a squeak noise for 15 mins or so till it dried out.
I take the car around the block to get rid of all the water "resting" on the block etc.

Reason
04-13-2011, 11:39 PM
Every car I owned or ever detailed I sprayed the engine down with degreaser let it sit then hit it with the car wash sprayed. Never had issues even spraying the altenator. If you have a open air intake you have to avoid spraying it. Don't cover it while its running. I washed a car twice with the engine cool and off and I had issues. One wouldn't start.

Baddog
04-17-2011, 07:42 PM
I just did this the other day. I let the engine cool and sprayed it multiple times. It started right up after about 2 hours of drying in the sun.

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2011/04/IMG00649201104081434-1.jpg

1-3-2-4
08-05-2011, 12:03 PM
I heard simple Green and aluminum don't mix

Huffer
08-05-2011, 01:21 PM

You might want to do the research yourself instead of relying on what people say...
http://www.simplegreen.com/products_extreme_motor.php

Extreme Simple Green Motorsports is ideal for use on aluminum, chrome, titanium and other high tech alloys, painted and gel-coated surfaces, anodized and electroplated parts, carbon fiber, a variety of metals, plastics, rubber and much more. It is effective for use on interior and exterior surfaces, automotive and marine grade carpet, precision parts degreasing…

1-3-2-4
08-05-2011, 01:27 PM
I've never seen that one before I was thinking the one in the green bottle.

I wonder if it's mixed to a 1:1 ratio

Dead91silvia
08-05-2011, 02:19 PM
I use Purple power, a knock off of Castrol Super clean. WAY BETTER then Simple Green... I used Simple Green once and never will again...

I have used it for pressure washing engines, seats, cleaning the shop floor, stripping paint from model cars, cleaning my bathroom... You name it, ok, I dont take a bath with it, that would be painful, but its good stuff!

1-3-2-4
08-05-2011, 02:34 PM
I've never tried purple power before.. the last simple green I brought was way back like in 2003 I picked up the automotive spray bottle.. I really saw no effect on cleaning..

MRLancaster
08-06-2011, 12:43 AM
I use Purple power, a knock off of Castrol Super clean. WAY BETTER then Simple Green... I used Simple Green once and never will again...

I have used it for pressure washing engines, seats, cleaning the shop floor, stripping paint from model cars, cleaning my bathroom... You name it, ok, I dont take a bath with it, that would be painful, but its good stuff!

Mind if I see some pics of its aftermath? May pick some up!

Legacy89
08-06-2011, 03:19 AM
I dont use that much soap in the enginebay, i increase the heat on the boiler. 320C and it takes all the gunk. Works well on off highway trucks that are in for service.

Dead91silvia
08-06-2011, 10:36 AM

Mind if I see some pics of its aftermath? May pick some up!

I'll see if I can find some pics... I know I have some around. This stuff really in amazing for what it is!

Just dont use it on polished aluminum, freshly painted engine/chassis parts, or exterior paint...

Dead91silvia
08-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Engines with light oil/dirt/grease will clean right up, but its socked you will need a brush and maybe a pressure washer. I washed all of these with just the Purple Power and a hose. Used a brush on a couple of them to get them really clean..

My TE31 77 Corolla... Before
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2011/08/IMG_3977-1.jpg

After
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2011/08/IMG_8394-1.jpg

My BG
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2011/08/IMG_6900-1.jpg

My s13 before the SR swap
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2011/08/IMG_1008-1.jpg

My Work truck... Before
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2011/08/IMG_8861-1.jpg

After... kinda.. lol
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2011/08/IMG_9750-1.jpg

My RA64 83 Celica
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2011/08/IMG_8381-1.jpg

My dads 72 Fiat coupe
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2011/08/IMG_5445-1.jpg

camroncamera
03-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Bump.

B12 Chemtool eats up the nastiest grime.

kimokalihi
03-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Simple green WILL corrode aluminum if left on too long. They make a simple green product that's safe for aluminum and designed for cleaning engines.

Extreme Simple Green
Motorsports Cleaner & Degreaser
http://www.simplegreen.com/products_extreme_motor.php

This is from the FAQ on their website regarding the original Simple Green product.

Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green® on aluminum?
When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green® Cleaner/Degreaser, Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates, and Pro Series™ Simple Green® Automotive Cleaner have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green® product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

Simple Green has also developed break-through water based cleaners that are safe for use on metals, plastics, rubber and high tech alloys. Extreme Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner and Simple Green® Pro HD are available on both the industrial and retail markets, respectively. These products were initially developed for the aircraft industry and extensive testing shows that they are safe and effective on a variety of metals and other sensitive surfaces even in the most extreme circumstances.

Simple Green® Stainless Steel One Step Cleaner & Polish is another option for cleaning polished aluminum. This product is designed for light duty metal cleaning and polishing.

kimokalihi
03-13-2012, 07:42 PM
The last time I cleaned my engine I used Purple Power. I was a bit worried about it eating painted surfaces because it warns that with full strength applications it WILL strip paint off. I diluted it probably half and half with water in a spray bottle and sprayed my entire engine bay down. Including the alternator. Then I immediately pressure washed the whole engine bay. Looks new. It's been 6 months or so and no problems. Still very clean.

I used to wash cars at the lincoln dealership and both myself and the detailer pressure washed every engine in every used car that came through that place and they always looked brand new when finished. First we sprayed them down with an industrial strength degreaser that I wish I could buy in the store and let it sit for 10 mins or so and then blasted away. Never covered anything, never had a single problem. The engine bay is designed with the idea that things might get wet once in a while.

geckoboy86
03-13-2012, 07:54 PM
I use simple green plus car wash. Works will. Just do it quickly.

Dead91silvia
03-18-2012, 01:00 PM
The last time I cleaned my engine I used Purple Power. I was a bit worried about it eating painted surfaces because it warns that with full strength applications it WILL strip paint off. I diluted it probably half and half with water in a spray bottle and sprayed my entire engine bay down. Including the alternator. Then I immediately pressure washed the whole engine bay. Looks new. It's been 6 months or so and no problems. Still very clean.

I used to wash cars at the lincoln dealership and both myself and the detailer pressure washed every engine in every used car that came through that place and they always looked brand new when finished. First we sprayed them down with an industrial strength degreaser that I wish I could buy in the store and let it sit for 10 mins or so and then blasted away. Never covered anything, never had a single problem. The engine bay is designed with the idea that things might get wet once in a while.

Any good engine degreaser will be harsh and may eat paint. I have had Puerple Power eat engine paint, but most if the time, it's ether fresh paint, or crappy paint.

Also, they will oxidize bear Aluminum, so dont use on un-coated wheels with anything thats super strong. I made that mistake when I was washing my Supra wheels on my Celica a number of years ago.

ChickenJoe
07-09-2017, 10:19 PM

FALSE MY MAN. I use simple green on aluminum aircraft parts for multimillion dollar jets, lol, MILITARY grade man.

rkrenicki
07-10-2017, 08:56 AM
FALSE MY MAN. I use simple green on aluminum aircraft parts for multimillion dollar jets, lol, MILITARY grade man.

Holy necrobump.. This thread has not seen a new post in over 5 years!

Somac
07-10-2017, 01:17 PM
Holy necrobump.. This thread has not seen a new post in over 5 years!

Someone is getting their post count up. :smt042

FiveZigen
07-16-2017, 10:00 PM
Someone is getting their post count up. :smt042

Yup :)