PDA

View Full Version : STi Suspension in a Legacy.....

NewGenSTi
03-16-2006, 11:33 AM
Ok dont kill me on this one guys. I have read alot of posts about this and it seems that everyone says with the legacy springs and tophats they bolt right up and work fine... my question is what happens if you use the impreza springs and top hats? do they not bolt up at all, or is it some significant change in ride height, or what? I have been looking into this praxxis air suspension for the wrx, and sti but I am pretty sure you need to use their entire setup and cannot swap over tophats due to their air springs. They dont make this system for our cars yet and I really like the idea of being able to adjust at the flick of a switch for handling or comfort as I do alot of traveling and alot of bumpy hilly crappy road driving during the day, yet I still like to blast around and have handling whenever I get the chance...

Does anyone have a closeup picture of an impreza top hat next to a legacy tophat?

Thanks guys

Huffer
03-16-2006, 02:24 PM
Firestone won't be making the Praxis system for any older generation cars.
They won't admit it, but don't hold your breath.

Also - the Praxis system is designed specifically for certain chassis weights and dynamics, not just mechanical bolt holes.

So I would expect that the settings would be incompatible for the BD because it is a lighter car than the 02+ WRX chassis'.

if you do some more reading on the Praxis system - it doesn't adjust dampening from in-cabin. You still have to turn the knobs manually.

So you can't just arrive at a canyon and hit the "sport" mode button and expect the dampers to react instantly. You still have to adjust that part.

(all my information was current as at beginning of October 2005)

The Praxis engineers actually develop the system about 1hrs drive from me, in Akron, OH.

NewGenSTi
03-16-2006, 03:17 PM
well, the button inside still lets you adj ride height and spring rate. just not dampening rate. which is what the small knob on the outside is. either way say I did bolt it up, just because the car is lighter shouldnt mean all that much. It would be the same as running a stiffer spring and strut combo.... I mean everyone uses the STi struts with legacy springs in here, and they certainly werent engeneered for the car.. the struts at least. and they seem to work very well. so whos to say it couldnt work out well unless they try it?

I only really want to know if they will fit
thanks for the concern otherwise though

Huffer
03-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Which version STi struts though?
The GC8 STi struts are designed for a car with a similar weight.

I imagine the Praxis system would fit with a little bit of work.

NewGenSTi
03-16-2006, 05:56 PM
well it would probably be ordered for the version 8 usdm sti.. this way also when I get a new one I can swap it over. hehe :-D