PDA

View Full Version : maximum tire size on 97 legacy GT

Bob
03-23-2006, 09:07 PM
I just bought 225/50-16 use Continental SportContact2 tires and I am wondering if it's too large to put on my stock 97 Legacy GT.

They fit on the original mags, but will it scratch on the wing...

I don't have my car for the moment,so I can't check it out...

Thanks
Vincent

Huffer
03-24-2006, 12:04 AM
If your car is stock, no, it won't rub unless you decide to swing a slow corner really hard.

225/50 is going to make your car look like it's a tractor though, with that width, especially with a 16x6.5" rim. They would have been better used with a 16x7 rim (like the later model GC 2.5RS wheel).

Legacy4Life
03-24-2006, 09:52 AM
I have 225/50 R16 on my stock rims. They don't rub at all in the front, but they do in the back over bumps if I have 4 people in the car or if I take corners really hard.

When I first put them on they rubbed a lot in the back, but once I put in 1/2" spacers that helped quite a bit. I needed new shocks, so changed them and this helped too, but didn't remove it completely under the conditions outlined above.

In the end, I wish I had only gone to 215 or stayed at 205. But I want to get new rims this year so I'll use the tires on them and make sure the rims have a better offset then the stock ones.

Bob
03-24-2006, 12:52 PM
Thanks guys. I'll test that next week when my WRX swap is completed... 8)

AussieDan
03-25-2006, 09:18 PM
I'm actually running a set of 225/50R16 ContiExtreme Contacts on my GT right now on a set of '01 RS 16x7 rims with stock struts and springs.

In the rear I have ~0 clearance to the strut (maximum neg camber), and I have removed the rubber trim strip on the fender lip. Under hard cornering they do rub on the lip, but only just.

In the front they seem to be ok, but if you hit a large enough bump while cornering (especially at or close to full lock) they will rub on the plastic fender liner.

I wouldn't run anything that wide on the 6.5" stock rims, IMHO 225 is pushing it even for the 7" rim.