PDA

View Full Version : Issues with overheating

jakmobile
03-24-2006, 09:39 PM
So I'm coming back from getting my windows tinted yesterday and the temperature gauge pegs in the red(second time this has happened). Fortunately I'm pulling into my parking space when this happens, so I pop the hood and see antifreeze coming out from around the coolant resovoir. I'm wonder what would cause this, a bad seal? Why would this only happen every once in a while. Is it possible my water pump is bad and the coolant is getting backed up and overflowing in the resovoir?

Comments/suggestions?

BTW, this is a 98 LGT.

2.5GT
03-24-2006, 10:24 PM
hm..thermostat maybe?

im not really sure :?

gil_ong81
03-24-2006, 10:33 PM
how does your coolant look?

I'd start with a flush and coolant change since that is the cheapest option.

jakmobile
03-24-2006, 11:01 PM
I don't believe its the thermostat, especially since there was antifreeze running down the front of the radiator.

I shall try the flush, but why would that cause it to over heat and start spilling from the resovoir?

dropdfocus
03-24-2006, 11:12 PM
You could have a blocked passage in the radiator which could result in pressure building up as the water pump pushes coolant through the block. Of course your overflow container becomes the path of least resistance since the coolant has no where to go. The thermostat could also be stuck in the closed position instead of a blockage in the radiator.

Just my theory on the matter. I could be wrong, but it's an educated guess either way.

jakmobile
03-25-2006, 05:28 AM
Will flushing the radiator def clear out any debris that might be in there?

dropdfocus
03-25-2006, 06:12 AM
Not always. If it is blocked, it could be a very sizable build up and not be removable with a vacuum flush. It's worth a try, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.