PDA

View Full Version : 99 Legacy GT from hell

kushwa
03-28-2006, 06:57 PM
Bought a 99 Legacy Gt noticed the water stains on the upper engine thought nothing of it. Find out later Blown head gasket. Car ran fine except for the overheating. Fixed the HG, all new parts, new T-stat, H2O Pump, hoses etc.

Car runs then CEL comes on. Cylinder misfire. Check coil 2 cylinders bad, but cleaned coil because contacts were rusty. Coil passes code goes away.

Keep getting P0117 CEL, pull sending unit clean up put back in. CEL still on, now cooilng fans always on! I see newer Legacys have a bad ECU that causes fans to be on any idea what would cause it on this car?

When first starting car also is a bear to start, wheezing, sputtering stalling etc. Once started runs fine. I have also disconneted the battery overnight to try and clear the codes. Hook battery up, turn key, CEL.

Why am I getting all these problems now after supposedly fixing the engine but did not get them before?

SHOfast
03-29-2006, 07:31 AM
How does the engine run once it is started?

Hard starting could be from a vacuum leak, other things that come to mind is a timing problem. Both of these are very likely after the engine is apart for something like a Head Gasket.

Many other things are possible but these are two that come to mind if the engine was just put together.

Wiscon_Mark
03-29-2006, 06:28 PM
Thermostat! Stat!

reasons:

Starting will be hard, especially in warmer weather, the temp sensor malfunctioning will screwing things up.

you report cooling fans acting weird, definitely points at the thermostat.

It's real cheap, replace it and see how things go down.

Your problems aren't too major, the headgasket is common on the EJ25 Legacies.

Good luck :)

Manarius
03-29-2006, 09:52 PM
Sputtering? Maybe crank position sensor as well.

losdiosdeverde86
04-14-2006, 08:28 PM
Thermostat! Stat!

reasons:

Starting will be hard, especially in warmer weather, the temp sensor malfunctioning will screwing things up.

you report cooling fans acting weird, definitely points at the thermostat.

It's real cheap, replace it and see how things go down.

Your problems aren't too major, the headgasket is common on the EJ25 Legacies.

Good luck :)

he said the thermostat WAS replaced with the HG

Wiscon_Mark
04-14-2006, 10:55 PM
:oops: :oops: :oops:

*smacks self on forehead*

*shrug*