PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a regular Legacy PS rack in my '97 Outback?

dvancleve
10-31-2011, 08:35 PM
My rack is apparently shot. I have read that the OB ratio is something like 19:1 while all other Legacys are more like 16.5:1. I would rather have the quicker ratio, is a regular Legacy rack a straight swap?

Thanks, Doug

anothernord
10-31-2011, 09:25 PM
Yep, it will bolt right in.

dvancleve
11-01-2011, 12:50 AM
Thanks, that is great news :grin: I don't see the point in pursuing any kind of WRX, etc. swap if the plain Legacy rack is that much quicker and bolts right in...

Doug

P.S. "Bolt right in" means everything connect the same, right?

Yep, it will bolt right in.

Huffer
11-01-2011, 10:53 AM
It's the same car, the only difference is the suspension geometry.

Garrison
11-01-2011, 01:39 PM
From my understanding the only important difference between the subaru models happened right around 2001-2002, when the new impreza/wrx was released. In addition to a new cross-member to house it, the steering-rack also uses a different spline setup on the input shaft. While we're on that subject however, even these racks can be swapped with a good welder. Or there was this product I saw a while back that was a coupler piece that mated to the two spline designs. Either way, the options seem to be limitless as far as MY <2002.

Edit, ha! I found it.

For anyone not wanting to deal with welding, L&E fabrication sells a spliced link pre-fabbed here.
(We have confirmation from a few members that this works well!) 3rd item down.
http://www.landefabrication.com/parts.html

Baddog
11-03-2011, 12:03 AM
I remember reading a Legacy SS steering rack is faster then what we have now. Even the RS rack is faster.