PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Glow Guages

Wiscon_Mark
05-22-2005, 10:32 PM
so, I'm thinking about getting the reverse glow guages from Procarparts.com and they say its a complicated intall...anyone got the expertise/experience to help me out if I decide to embark in this endeavor? Cause I don't want it professionally installed, that is expensive and takes all the fun out of it.
As always, thanks

Pwise2326
05-22-2005, 11:40 PM
really it's not worth it. Depending on the kit you get you're gonna have to remove the needles, and that can mess things up a bit. If you're gonna do that just be real careful with the needles and mark them (inconspicuously) with reference points that you can line-up when you re-install them, otherwise it could tell you you're doing 65 when your actually hitting 80...and that could potentially be bad. There are other parts of the car where that money can be better spent!

Reason
05-23-2005, 01:33 AM
I've done 3 gauge face changes. A reverse glow on my nephews 95 civic. White face gauges on my friends B3000 pickup And a reverse gauge that replaced the white face on the B3000 pickup. I will try to post up picks to show you all. PM, email or IM me and I will try my best to walk you through it.

This is from the B3000

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/329000-329999/329704_22_full.jpg

Tris_STi
05-23-2005, 02:06 PM
I wouldn't want to do it.. Too much hassle for rice, IMO. Besides, let's think about the light wavelengths (colors!) and what they're actually doing:

Anyone know the color spectrum and the frequencies for each color?

Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?

Okay, that's fine.. but let's break it down this way:

Why are cops/emergecy vehicles the only ones allowed blue lights on the street?

Simple answer: Because blue lights have a shorter wavelength, thus, they hold your gaze longer. Longer gaze means you're not likely to miss them.

Guess what happens as a result of your eyes holding a color's wavelength longer?

Das Roight... Your eyes can't adjust focus correctly once you've moved on! (Try this at night --look at a blue light, and then back at the dark. Compare to a red light, and back to the dark --You'll literally see the difference!) Nightvision is of the utmost importance when it comes to driving, and especially for those of you who want to be/pretend to be performance drivers. (?)

So what does this mean? Well, IMO,(and the rest of science..) the hassle in taking my dash apart, messing with the needles for everything, and the general hardship that comes with dismantling part of the dash all to . . ..compromise my safety? Nah.. Not for me.

Reason
05-23-2005, 02:22 PM
Tris you are funny, maybe you should get glasses for night driving :lol: I drove his truck with the gauges and I can see fine. My nephews old civic had the Ractive "carbon blue" gauges. The whole think was blue, He never had problems. I guess if you stared at it for a few minutes. When you are driving your eyes should be on the road and glance at your gauges. Too long I cant see the safety in that.

As for the install on the civic I didn't have to take the needles off. It depends on the vehicle. If you want the look don't worry about other peoples "opinions". One person interpretation of rice is different from another.

Tris_STi
05-23-2005, 02:54 PM
That's true, but you can't defeat science. :D I have >20/20 vision, btw, and I still notice the difference between blue and red at night.. many people should, it's just whether you'd choose to ignore it or not..

To each his own, though..

Tris_STi
05-23-2005, 02:56 PM
Btw, I like that your other car is a Pontiac. :D

Reason
05-23-2005, 03:03 PM
Btw, I like that your other car is a Pontiac. :D

That's my friends GTP and his GSX-R 750. The Prix is fast (supercharged) and the bike...he dumped it 2 weeks ago. We just took the bike apart and are rebuilding it.

Tris_STi
05-23-2005, 03:15 PM
Right on.. sorry to hear about the bike.. that seems to be happening these days, what with the unpredictable weather getting in the way of our supposed-to-be-summertime-fun!

Blown Pontiacs are pretty dope. :twisted:

Reason
05-23-2005, 03:19 PM
My 2nd car is a 89 CRX, it's a fun car to drive.

Tris_STi
05-23-2005, 03:29 PM
Right on... Is it really the 2nd car, or was it like many car-kids' of our generation, your first car?

Wiscon_Mark
05-23-2005, 11:52 PM
anyways, about the guages, some kits have multiple colors, right? So, since red doesn't mess with your night vision (and my headlights suck) that would be the safest light to use becuase my eyes wouldn't get messed around with by white/blue/whatever. This is assuming that the guage kits have different colors...I think the procarparts one does have color options and its about 30 bucks, maybe 50 bucks on Ebay, in their online store its 50 bucks.
Grand Prixs and Bonnevilles are about the only pontiacs worth buying right now....supercharging is pretty sweet

Pwise2326
05-24-2005, 12:51 AM
I dunno...the new GTO is pretty badass...now that they've added some true-to-form aesthetics (hoodscoops, etc).

Tris - Reason had the Legacy before the CRX, he bought the CRX to save miles on his Leggy, but it seems like more of a hassle than anything!

Reason
05-24-2005, 02:30 AM
Tris - Reason had the Legacy before the CRX, he bought the CRX to save miles on his Leggy, but it seems like more of a hassle than anything!

Tru dat Ryan! My first 2 cars were oldsmobiles 83 than the 86. Then I got the Legacy in 2000. I bought the CRX last year to drive to work and save the life of my Legacy.

Ryan- The CRX is running pretty good. It just needs a new clutch. I'm having the timing belt done in a few weeks. After that she will run like a dream! I'm thinking about selling it to get another Legacy though. Maybe trade it for one if anyone is interested:D

Pwise2326
05-24-2005, 04:03 PM
Shane - I think someone was trying to give away a RHD BC/BF legacy -- if you knew someone with a tow truck I'd say you should jump at that.

But now back to topic -- Mark...so whats the verdict?

Reason
05-24-2005, 04:35 PM
Shane - I think someone was trying to give away a RHD BC/BF legacy -- if you knew someone with a tow truck I'd say you should jump at that.

Ryan send me a PM on where you seen this.

AND LETS STAY ON TOPIC PEOPLE!! :wink:

Wiscon_Mark
05-24-2005, 06:05 PM
well, here's what I was looking at.....
http://www.procarparts.com/store-list.asp?categoryID=3&subcategoryID=37&maker=SUBARU&model=LEGACY&year=1995

I can find it cheaper on Ebay (from Procarparts, so its the same thing) and I think it would look cool and go with my blue theme I'm going for on the interior. I also think with the white faces, it would be more visible at night, and I can still adjust the brightness, right? Mainly what I wanted to know was how hard the wiring is...and if i have to remove the needles, that could cause problems. I'll PM reason about it and if it sounds too daunting, I'll rethink it, but I think I want to when I get some money.

Staying on subject....ha! I do like that pontiac, you should post some more stuff about it under Members Rides II, reason.

Tris_STi
05-25-2005, 12:30 PM
AND LETS STAY ON TOPIC PEOPLE!!

:oops: My bad, Reason, I led them astray...

Disturbed_beast
05-25-2005, 06:35 PM
http://www.gashaponusa.com/AUCTION/GASHAPON/ELSU002_W.jpg
http://www.gashaponusa.com/AUCTION/GASHAPON/ELSU002_B.jpg

I ended up buying these for my car a while back for a 93~97 Impreza 120MPH it's the same setup as a 98 GT Legacy

Wiscon_Mark
05-25-2005, 06:39 PM
No luck....my speedo goes up to 140...those exact ones won't work. Where did you get them though?

Disturbed_beast
05-26-2005, 12:34 AM
I got them from ebay and they where $28 shipped you can buy yours from ProCarParts.com they have the 140mph but i have the 120mph so the ProCarParts.com wont work :spam2:

Reason
05-26-2005, 01:24 AM
I said this on the old forum, look for a place that can recalibrate the speedometer. I thought about getting that guage face but I grew out of it. I'm in the middle of a custom set-up :wink:

Disturbed_beast
05-27-2005, 01:34 AM
Well hey if they don't fit i will just give them to my friend he has a 95 Impreza that they'll work on, but im going to try