PDA

View Full Version : grinding coming from something

Kansei
12-29-2011, 10:04 PM
okay so i posted about this in my members ride but didnt figure it out so i figured itd get more information from here...

so when driving my 97 BD GT, i have a nasty grinding sound coming from the front left, as well as a spongy brake pedal which i'm pretty sure is my master cylinder.... i know its not my brake pads cause theres plenty of life left there so i thought it was the bearing so i changed that.
...still there...
now when i did the bearings in that wheel i noticed that the bearing doesnt actually fit snuggly onto the hub. the race actually just shifts and spins on it. both the old one and the new one. i dont know if thats really how they are supposed to be or not but i replaced it and put it back in there.
just this afternoon while driving i noticed the grinding getting significantly worse... then while turning left the whole car shifted like i had jerked the steering wheel to the left... then going straight it acted like something was severely loose and jerks back and forth while making that grinding noise..

i need this car to get around right now and i'm trying to get another job so i need to fix it fast so i can get to interviews and such.

if you guys have any idea what i need to do please help... please....

d1giPhux
12-30-2011, 11:32 AM
Does the grinding always occur, or only when turning?

Try to give us more info about WHEN the grinding sound happens, if it ever goes away, etc.

I'm thinking its your axle. I've had the front ones go bad on my car before, and while turning / accelerating it would make a weird bumping / grinding noise. Bearings usually make squealing, or grinding noises while moving.

Try to get us some more info.. sounds like you could have a couple of problems.

Kansei
12-30-2011, 04:42 PM
the noise happened at first only when turning left and hard to the right. now its even going straight. its seriously bad. i'm actually scared to drive...

Huffer
12-30-2011, 04:59 PM
Even if your brake pads have plenty of life left, your rotor itself could be scored up.

Sounds a lot like a CV axle, though if your brake caliper has seized up that could cause a lot of grinding and shuddering too.

Kansei
12-30-2011, 05:33 PM
what would cause the shifting though?

Garrison
12-30-2011, 05:36 PM
Even if your brake pads have plenty of life left, your rotor itself could be scored up.

Sounds a lot like a CV axle, though if your brake caliper has seized up that could cause a lot of grinding and shuddering too.

CV axles tend to click a LOT before they start to go, and are side specific.

Kansei
12-30-2011, 07:16 PM
*fixed the grinding and shifting*

the axle nut had backed it self out and scored my rotors pretty bad and someone had suggested checking the slide pins on my calipers and they were dry! so i greased those and tightened the axle nut and loandbehold its fixed. i need a new master cylinder still and rotors now but its good for a while.

thank you for all your input guys.

Baddog
12-30-2011, 08:53 PM
How does the axle nut do that? Just curious.

Huffer
12-30-2011, 09:36 PM
The axle nut should not back itself out if the nut has been installed correctly. One side of it is supposed to be indented with a punch so that once it's on, it doesn't come loose unless you crank it off pretty hard -

Kansei
12-30-2011, 09:45 PM
yeha i kinda forgot to bend it. idk why i would forget to do that but yeah. but its all good now. i indented it. its on there.

Kansei
03-28-2012, 02:12 AM
grinding is back. going to replace the hub tomorrow. should i make a diy?

d1giPhux
03-28-2012, 09:45 AM
Yeah, that would be awesome!

Wiscon_Mark
03-28-2012, 06:02 PM
The hub? There really shouldn't be anything wrong with the hub. Bearings, maybe.

Kansei
03-29-2012, 03:19 AM
well like i said when i replaced them the hub was worn out or something cause the bearing races just slid around on it. and on the other side i had to force them on something serious. so the hub is the problem. if not i really dont know what i'll do...

Wiscon_Mark
03-29-2012, 08:00 AM
Well, the plus side is that front hubs are pretty cheap...

Kansei
03-29-2012, 11:56 AM
eh. 70 bucks. it hurts cause i have no job right now but i got one. hopefully i dont need to buy new bearings again... i'll be doing the work today. just gotta convince the female to let me use her iphone for the camera seeing as mine is dead...

Kansei
03-29-2012, 01:52 PM
well i'm done with it. got a little bit of grease on the 80 dollar phone case i bought her thats water proof scratch proof shock proof and all sorts of other shit and now i'm fucking satan... great...

Kansei
03-29-2012, 03:34 PM
okay... still grinding squealing... this is getting annoying... i'm about to replace the whole fucking thing...

Wiscon_Mark
03-29-2012, 06:16 PM
So you've still got it after the hub replacement? You did put new bearings in right?

mike-tracy
03-29-2012, 06:30 PM
One thing that happened to me a while back is that the steel dust shield was close enough to the rotor where it touched it during certain maneuvers, causing a grinding/squealing like you're talking about. Bent it out and all was good. Worth checking into imo.

Kansei
03-30-2012, 04:05 AM
yes mark. already got new bearings in there.

and no mike, i dont even have a dust shield. dont know what happened to them. just werent there when i got the car.