PDA

View Full Version : Engine Problem

SimbaSVX
05-24-2005, 01:56 PM
I have a problem with our 2.2 Legacy.

It feels like it's "running with the choke out". The idle is fast, it's drinking a lot of petrol and occasionally it coughs and splutters. Actually, it's going like a rocket, which leads me to think it might be running a bit rich.

There is a high pitched whistle when I accelerate which makes me suspect an air or vacuum leak may be the cause.

Can anybody suggest where I should start looking?

Phil.

Tris_STi
05-24-2005, 02:27 PM
High-pitched whistle would make your assumption a good guess. Check for vaccuum leaks. A wacky idle can be caused by any number of things, including simple things like electrical problems, to more complex issues, like damaged internals..

My wager here is with your O2 sensor, which is mostly an electrical issue, but it obviously becomes a part of the fuel system later. You said it drinks gas, (petrol) and your idle is high, but it's also running quite well. Those would point me in the direction of your 02 sensor.

When was the last time you replaced it, if ever?

Tokio
05-24-2005, 04:23 PM
hmmm...

*a vacuum leak would have the effect of a low or crappy idle, not a fast one...

*O2 sensors only read information...if one goes bad, you dont just replace it, you find out why...(never let a garage tell you its just an O2 sensor, 9 times out of ten something else caused the sensor to go)

For Example: everyone knows the original ej25 headgaskets went like crazy... radiator fluid seeping into the cylinder (and vice versa) from this will cause an O2 sensor to fry in a heartbeat when that radiator fluid gets burned in the combustion process... any mickey mouse mechanic would tell you your O2 sensors were bad and would charge you to replace it way before they checked out the car enough to find out it was a bad HG. That replaced O2 sensor would just fry again in a couple of days...and youre back to square one.

in my opinion, you might have an injector stuck open or you might have a faulty MAF sensor, or a faulty idle-air control valve. I dont know what youre running for emissions control, but it might be a bad EGR valve also.

if youre car has OBDII, get the code read... thats the best starting point.

SimbaSVX
05-25-2005, 05:50 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'll check out everything that's been suggested.

I'm not getting a "Check Engine" light, which I would expect if it was a sensor problem. Is there a writeup explaining how to check if there are any codes stored? I have a list of the codes in the haynes manual, but the procedure for reading them doesn't make any sense.

I haven't replaced any sensors, just the plugs, filters, CV boot and balljoint (which I broke when changing the CV boot :cry:). I don't know if the previous owners had them changed.

Phil.

Tris_STi
05-25-2005, 01:45 PM
Since yours SHOULD be OBDII, take it to either the dealer, or to a local shop, and have the codes read for you, it's MUCH easier, and for sure, faster.

He's running a 2.2l EJ22, just like the rest of us, so I don't know what could be going on with his HG. If you'd like some peace of mind on whether or not your HG may be at fault, you can check your coolant tank. The fluid should still appear green, and clear. (well, as clear as green gets.) If it resembles chocolate milk, or has excessive bubbles, you may want to run a compression check.

You didn't touch the screw on your Throttle Body, did you? (or let someone do the same?)

Oh, and AFAIK, EJ22s don't have EGR. But I don't know about the phase 2 EJ22s, it could be different.

If anyone knows the way to check the voltage across the injectors, (cause I don't, offhand) theoretically, Phil should be able to use a multimeter to see what kind of voltage each injector is getting, and I think the one that would have the highest voltage (or different from the other 3, anyway) could be faulty. Right?

An IAC should throw a code, but if I were Phil, I'd PRAY it wasn't an IAC. Those things are expensive ^nth. :roll:

Tokio
05-25-2005, 09:48 PM
:lol:

SimbaSVX
05-26-2005, 06:30 AM
I haven't touched the screw on the throttle body.

I was wondering about the head gaskets because the water level does seem to go down and I sometimes get a chip-fryer noise from the heater behind the dash. But the coolant is definitely green and there's no chocolate milk. I'm pretty familiar with that problem because our Justy suffered with it and I don't think this is the same thing.

I took the Legacy to a mechanic a couple of weeks ago and they pressurised the cooling system and couldn't find any trace of a leak. Hopefully that means the headgaskets are OK.

One other thing that occured to me is that occasionally, when starting from cold, there is a tapping noise. I presume that just means the hydaulic tappets are a bit sticky.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Tokio
05-26-2005, 10:46 AM
firstly, i dont MEAN to sound like an ass, but...

He's running a 2.2l EJ22, just like the rest of us, so I don't know what could be going on with his HG. If you'd like some peace of mind on whether or not your HG may be at fault, you can check your coolant tank. The fluid should still appear green, and clear. (well, as clear as green gets.) If it resembles chocolate milk, or has excessive bubbles, you may want to run a compression check.

really?? if you want to, go ahead and re-read what i said...

For Example: everyone knows the original ej25 headgaskets went like crazy...

wow, i totally said "For Example:"

Oh, and AFAIK, EJ22s don't have EGR. But I don't know about the phase 2 EJ22s, it could be different.

the 1996 2.2 SOHC engine DOESNT have an EGR valve? ok, gotcha...AT THE VERY LEAST, surf around Nasioc, and see what you come up with. '96 UK subies might not have one, but USDM's do. if you have time to post-whore, doesnt that mean you also have time to verify your posts?

anyway, about OBDII, check this out @ http://www.auterraweb.com/faq.html

and at any rate, SimbaSVX, good luck with getting that car fixed. :-D

Tris_STi
05-26-2005, 04:29 PM
I don't know you yet, but I have a feeling we're going to be very good friends, Tokio. :D

AFAIK = As Far As I Know. :wink: It was just my best guess, and again, I said I didn't know about the Phase2 EJ22s. In '95, along with the switch to OBDII, the EJ22 underwent a second phase, as a result of the change in its engine management electronics. I assume you know for a fact this change added an EGR. Probably since EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirc and OBDII was mainly intended for emissions control. :?:

Oh, and:

I hate NASIOC with a passion. It represents everything a Subaru community shouldn't be: Rice-oriented, overly-competitive, filled with blowhards and well-uninformed (stubborn!) people, in addition to being just plain HUGE. There's no comradorie over there, unless you're one of the regulars, and even then, I doubt they're as personal as I've gotten to be with the LCO crew, and hopefully with you guys. You're quite the personal bunch, I can't wait 'til I sprout feelings for all of you! Okay, that was off, a bit, but getting back to NASIOC --I couldn't imagine what it's like to be a mod there. The sheer volume of posts each day is STAGGERING. It's something like a 1mil+/day..! Full time work, filtering BS and flames from pure, unadulturated ID10TS. Being that as it may, it's also mainly for Imprezas, and the WRX lineup, I didn't think the Legacy crowd was too welcome over there, hence, our own bbs's...