PDA

View Full Version : best way to sand my car for a new paintjob...

woofy
04-12-2006, 09:52 AM
painting my wagon flat black to go along with my bronze rota grids.(dont try n change my mind,lol) im wondering what tools to use to make the job go by quicker, what steps to take and so on.

blueb3
04-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Large amounts of sand paper, power sander, sanding blocks, tons of time, filler, more time, more filler, and more time. Flat black is a hard color choice because it shows EVERY flaw in your car's body. I've seen good and bad flat black paint jobs and the good ones take a TON of time and patience. It's definately something that cannot be rushed. That being said, I can't wait to see what it will look like. Keep us posted, should look really sweet when it's done.

woofy
04-12-2006, 10:34 AM
what should i be using the filler for? i have a ton of dents to pop out.

Huffer
04-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Even if you pop the dents out, the surface will not be completely smooth. That's what filler is for.

You fill the indentation, smooth over and sand. Then resand. And refill.
Repeat process ad nauseum.

Wiscon_Mark
04-12-2006, 12:09 PM
It might be easier to spend all that time working to afford to have a pro do this.

shazapple
04-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Orbital sander worked well for me. practically any colour is going to show imperfections once you get it painted, but thats what primer is for.

NewGenSTi
04-13-2006, 10:49 AM
yeah, um any part that is in good condition a red scuff pad will work wondors on. anywhere there are dents and such pull them pop them fill them and sand them, then sand them some more, then prime them then sand them again and once you get an enitre primer coat on mist some black paint over the top. This is called a guide coat. then when you sand it again you will see the low spots where the guide coat to help you sand it down evenly, and to show low spots/highspots in the finish

bgwagon
04-15-2006, 01:04 AM
do your sanding in steps IE, 80, 120, 240, 320 prime, wetsand 400, 600 then paint, to do this properly you should use a base/clear paint then a flattening agent, if you use a spray can you'll do more damage than good. Flat black in a can DOES not seal your paint, therefore it will more likely rust REAL FAST. If you cleacoat it then flatten it, all of it will be sealed.

I had an AE86 GTS i painted flat black, trust me